Setup for begginer

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You could always obsessive overanalyze everything for 23 hrs a day 7days a week for months on end and settle on the first ten bats suggested.

Get a middle of the road (in terms of speed and spin) high on control and go at it a year or two, then re-assess. Difficult to go wrong that way, but it isn't the only way. Millions of possible suitable combos.

Neottec Magic Control for 19€
https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/neottec-magic-control
I would go with classic rubbers like Donic Vario, Stiga Mendo, Yasaka Mark V or Tibhar Rapid. Your brother can use this setup for at least a year without the need to change the rubbers. With something like Vega Intro, he might have to change the rubber after 3-6 months. If you want to go the tensor route, Gewo Neoflexx 45 or 48 might be a decent choice. (Harder rubbers traditionally on FH, softer on BH)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
An all-round wooden blade.
Xiom Vega Intro, Nittaku Factive, TSP Ventus basic are some good rubbers for beginners.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
I personally feel like an allround wood blade with cheap chinese rubber like 729 fx is great for beginners. Excellent control, easy to block and push and it will force your brother to learn proper technique in his topspin strokes

says Thanks for the suggestion Splasher! I was going to try...
says Thanks for the suggestion Splasher! I was going to try...
Apr 2019
In a similar situation to yours, I eventually got a stiga all round with 729 FX 1.5mm.
It is helping me hugely with leaning how to do correct strokes as it has a lot of control and no helping power. It’s fast enough for me if I hit hard and well but it has no trampoline effect. I hated trampoline effect when I tried faster rackets, although now that I have developed a better understanding of stroke and racket angle etc.. I am tempted to move onto slightly faster rubbers. I’m not loving the stiga handle though, a bit too rounded and smooth. But the setup I got was cheap enough for me not to worry about it. Statistically, the mark V is the most recommended rubber for people who start learning, I almost got that one but the price and a number of people passionately against it stopped me :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Myself and two others began with Yasaka Sweden Extra or Butterfly Primorac with DHS Hurrricane 3 Neo. We all agree this was the perfect setup to find our bearings. And very cheap, especially Yasaka. We all used these setups to learn basic looping FH/BH strokes, pushing, spinny serves etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk