PDA

View Full Version : Japan Women's Race to Tokyo 2020 Singles

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

zeio
12-15-2019, 07:42 AM
Sour grapes. Koki Niwa had to beat the same Hugo Calderano that Muzutani couldn't beat as part of his effort.

Your argument would sound way more persuasive had Niwa beaten Calderano in Austrian Open.

Even Niwa said he was lucky.

https://www.daily.co.jp/general/2019/12/03/0012927735.shtml

「11月は最低限の結果を出せた。(繰り上がり出場など)ラッキーも重なったので素直にうれしいとは言えないですけど、2枠に入るチャンスをつくれたのはうれしい」と安堵(あんど)感をのぞかせた。
"I was able to get a minimum result in November. (Reserve player, etc.) Luck also overlapped, so I can't say I'm honestly happy, but I'm happy to have a chance to get into the 2 slots."

NextLevel
12-15-2019, 11:33 AM
Your argument would sound way more persuasive had Niwa beaten Calderano in Austrian Open.

Even Niwa said he was lucky.

https://www.daily.co.jp/general/2019/12/03/0012927735.shtml

"I was able to get a minimum result in November. (Reserve player, etc.) Luck also overlapped, so I can't say I'm honestly happy, but I'm happy to have a chance to get into the 2 slots."

Of course Niwa was lucky. But Mizutani never played a schedule that showed desperation.

Sali
12-15-2019, 12:18 PM
Best lineup for olympics:
Ito, Nagasaki, Kihara

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-15-2019, 12:22 PM
Best lineup for olympics:
Ito, Nagasaki, Kihara

CNT is relieved it won't happen before 2024 if it does.

zeio
12-16-2019, 09:11 AM
Mizutani: I hate table tennis.

https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/201912130000776.html

水谷隼「卓球を嫌いに」目の衰えから失われた闘争心
[2019年12月13日21時7分]
3年半前とはほど遠い。「自分がとにかく衰えている。試合をやってて『こんなのをミスるんだ』とか思う。どうしても過去の良かった自分と比べ、自分が自分じゃないみたい」。

水谷を苦しめたのはボールが見えにくいという目の状態だった。コートを取り囲むLED看板や、観客席が暗転する中、卓球台だけに当たる強い光が影響し、2年前から思うようにボールを視認することができなくなった。今もそれは変わらない。

その影響から選手として重要な闘争心も失われた。「勝利への執念。そういうものが昔に比べて欠如している。アスリートとして身を引くタイミングなのかな…」と力なく言った。

「今までになく卓球を嫌いになった。卓球をしている時が何よりもつらかった。9割方、目が理由。半年ぐらい休みたい」と選考レースを終え、弱音ばかりが口をついた。

しかし、水谷は世界ランキングで日本人3位。団体戦要員の3人目に選ばれる可能性は高い。東京五輪で新種目となる混合ダブルスでは、伊藤美誠とのコンビが調子良く、金メダルも狙える位置にいる。

「闘争心を取り戻さないと絶対に五輪でいいプレーができない。いろんなベテラン選手に意見を聞こうと思う。何とか選ばれたら、このまま終わりたくない」
Far from 3.5 years ago. “I'm just declining. I'm playing a game where I think I'm going to make a mistake. I just don't seem to be myself compared to my good past."

What plagued Mizutani was the condition that the ball was difficult to see. While the LED signboard surrounding the court and the spectator seats were darkened, the strong light hitting only the table tennis table was affected, making it impossible to see the ball as expected two years ago. It remains the same now.

As a result, the important fighting spirit as a player was lost. “I'm obsessed with victory. That kind of thing is lacking compared to the past. Is it time to pull out as an athlete?” He said without power.

“I hate table tennis like never before. It is harder than anything when playing table tennis. 90% is because of my eyes. I would like to rest for about half a year.”

However, Mizutani is Japan's 3rd in the world ranking. There is a high probability of being chosen as the 3rd member for the team battle. In the mixed doubles that will be the new event at the Tokyo Olympics, the combination with Mima Ito is in good condition and the gold medal is also in a position to be aimed at.

“If you don't regain your fighting spirit, you can't play well at the Olympics. I'm going to ask various veteran players to give their opinions."

zeio
12-16-2019, 09:19 AM
https://youtu.be/OlTuWsuqyjo

When the shit hits the fan.
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?20935-Japan-Women-s-Race-to-Tokyo-2020-Singles&p=298898&viewfull=1#post298898

Vlad Celler
12-16-2019, 09:19 AM
Specific information appeared on the TOP-12 Japan (December 21-22, 2019)

http://www.jtta.or.jp/tournament/tabid/122/rptid/581/Default.aspx

(http://www.jtta.or.jp/tournament/tabid/122/rptid/581/Default.aspx)Hirano Miu
Sato Hitomi
Miyu Kato
Hayata Hina
Shibata Saki
Hashimoto Honoka
Nagasaki Miyu
Idesawa Kyoka
Narumoto Ayami
Ayane Morita

(no Kihara....:()

Mytoman
12-16-2019, 10:13 AM
The thing is whenever T2 is involved, CNT's action/reaction/decision has always influenced the JNT's selection race in some form or way.

The reason Ishikawa and Kato made the T2 Malaysia was because of the Chinese National Championships (https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?21440-Australian-Open-2019-Platinum&p=281541&viewfull=1#post281541). Keep in mind ML and LSW told the media that they needed the T2 points for the Olympics. (https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?21462-T2-Diamond-2019-Malaysia&p=282576&viewfull=1#post282576)

T2 Haikou was cancelled because they couldn't "get the necessary permit" after ML/FZD lost to LYJ and ZYL won in T2 Malaysia. Around the same time, QZJ and LS told the media they were very unhappy about the T2 (https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?22049-Seamaster-is-gone&p=292102&viewfull=1#post292102) for "kidnapping" their players.

But in the end, China sent all "eligible players" to T2 Singapore...

20191021-EC-02The Executive Committee decided that there should be 2 (two) representatives of the AthletesCommission in the World Ranking Working Group.

7.11 T2 Diamond updateThe CEO updated the EC on the T2 Diamond situation and reported that several complaints havebeen received from the players and National Associations in regard to the overall situation,especially, the WR points allocation and the last-minute cancellation of the 2nd event.The EC was informed about the renegotiation of the terms and conditions and the signing of anaddendum between ITTF and Seamaster. The CEO and the President mentioned it was not agood situation for the ITTF and puts us in some financial difficulties but that we had tried ourbest to mitigate the negative affect.It was agreed that the current position of Special Advisor to the President occupied by Mr FrankJi, shall be reconsidered and further discussed.

driversbeat
12-16-2019, 10:46 AM
https://youtu.be/OlTuWsuqyjo

When the shit hits the fan.
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?20935-Japan-Women-s-Race-to-Tokyo-2020-Singles&p=298898&viewfull=1#post298898

中国とほぼ僅差に
just a narrow margin between Japan and China

他の国とかなり離してます
much further away from other countries (in terms of abilities)

対中国しか考えていない
Only thinking about the line-up against China

overly optimistic if you ask me...
but interesting to see what they are taking into account (even the Hayata-Ito pair)
although it's a little hard to take them seriously when they mention possibly including Sato
I wonder how much of it is just PR when the team lineup has already been decided

I'd imagine the best line-up for Japan to beat China would be Ito-Hayata-Sato
Although impossible under the current circumstances

Japanese men's team is in the same position Singapore women's team was in 2012
desperately trying to hold onto a number 2 team world ranking.
Seems like the chances for Mizutani being chosen are higher than the chances of Hirano being chosen
since the later can be left out without affecting Japan's team world ranking

Why the rush to confirm everything on 6th January? The Shibata-Hirano doubles mystery thickens. Some mind-boggling decisions made by JNT.

Vlad Celler
12-16-2019, 11:07 AM
By the way, a couple of Sato-Hayata played, and played well ....
And we are waiting for the Japanese team to Germany Platinium ... Who will be announced in WD and XD .....

Sali
12-16-2019, 12:00 PM
中国とほぼ僅差に
just a narrow margin between Japan and China

他の国とかなり離してます
much further away from other countries (in terms of abilities)

対中国しか考えていない
Only thinking about the line-up against China

overly optimistic if you ask me...
but interesting to see what they are taking into account (even the Hayata-Ito pair)
although it's a little hard to take them seriously when they mention possibly including Sato
I wonder how much of it is just PR when the team lineup has already been decided

I'd imagine the best line-up for Japan to beat China would be Ito-Hayata-Sato
Although impossible under the current circumstances

Japanese men's team is in the same position Singapore women's team was in 2012
desperately trying to hold onto a number 2 team world ranking.
Seems like the chances for Mizutani being chosen are higher than the chances of Hirano being chosen
since the later can be left out without affecting Japan's team world ranking

Why the rush to confirm everything on 6th January? The Shibata-Hirano doubles mystery thickens. Some mind-boggling decisions made by JNT.

Well I do not understand what they are saying but from the pictures it seems that they are thinking about Sato for the 3rd player - quite wired for me since she has to play doubles with Ishikawa - bad idea (I do not think the played before together).
For the men team I understand they prefer to take Mizutani as 3rd player to get second seed but from Mizutani perspective as he looses a lot recently I am not sure if he can keep this ranking or drop more until the final ranking before olympics

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-16-2019, 12:01 PM
Miyazaki is kind of being the boss at JTTA for deciding the team, although he said all coaches opinions will be considered.

Regarding women's team, indeed he said that the team will be built to beat China (meaning they are optimistic they can win other teams easily - which i think is the case). 2nd seed is guaranteed even without Hirano. He said they are basically facing 3 choices: (1) Ito to play 2 singles, choose a right handed player to team up with Ishikawa for doubles, and the logical choice is Hirano (2) choose Ishikawa as an ace to play 2 singles, and then choose a left handed player - Hayata - to play doubles with Ito (3) choose Sato to play 2 singles and let Ito play doubles with Ishikawa.

Regarding Men's team, the ambitions are more modest, they want to build a team to get a medal [meaning they are being realistic about their chances of challenging China]. For that purpose, it is important to stay seeded #2, which is possible only if Mizutani is being selected. We know from the man himself he is not very motivated to play at the Olympics, but he will do his job for the country. Miyazaki then said that if the 2nd was guaranteed actually it would make sense to let play the right-handed Yoshimura with Niwa in doubles and let Harimoto play 2 singles - instead of selecting Mizutani.

And yes, they will decide on January 6th. I don't know the reason but they are committing to that date.

He finally praised Ito, and said often her matches against Chinese players are often decided by a narrow margin, its often just the question of being a bit more lucky on a net or edge

Sali
12-16-2019, 12:12 PM
Regarding Men's team, the ambitions are more modest, they want to build a team to get a medal [meaning they are being realistic about their chances of challenging China]. For that purpose, it is important to stay seeded #2, which is possible only if Mizutani is being selected. We know from the man himself he is not very motivated to play at the Olympics, but he will do his job for the country. Miyazaki then said that if the 2nd was guaranteed actually it would make sense to let play the right-handed Yoshimura with Niwa in doubles and let Harimoto play 2 singles - instead of selecting Mizutani.

One thing is quite certain for me: Germany will be second seeded with high probability. Timo is in very good shape recently and Dima is getting his form back, also Franziska is definitely top 20 player who has beaten chinese players. Probability for all of them 3 to climb little in world ranking is undisputable.
At the same time besides Harimoto who let's suppose keep his world ranking others (niwa and mizutani) is rather very hard to keep their ranking not considering moving up.
Let's do not forget about other countries top players who definitely will do their best to climb in ranking, I am thinking about JYS, WCT, LJH, Pitch and others.
I understand now Mizutani and Niwa have advantage but if they do not score much their points will be taken out next year.

driversbeat
12-16-2019, 12:13 PM
Miyazaki is kind of being the boss at JTTA for deciding the team, although he said all coaches opinions will be considered.

Regarding women's team, indeed he said that the team will be built to beat China (meaning they are optimistic they can win other teams easily - which i think is the case). 2nd seed is guaranteed even without Hirano. He said they are basically facing 3 choices: (1) Ito to play 2 singles, choose a right handed player to team up with Ishikawa for doubles, and the logical choice is Hirano (2) choose Ishikawa as an ace to play 2 singles, and then choose a left handed player - Hayata - to play doubles with Ito (3) choose Sato to play 2 singles and let Ito play doubles with Ishikawa.

And yes, they will decide on January 6th. I don't know the reason but they are committing to that date.

He finally praised Ito, and said often her matches against Chinese players are often decided by a narrow margin, its often just the question of being a bit more lucky on a net or edge

Specifically, it was also mentioned that Ito might not be able to realistically take down 2 singles matches, which is what makes the doubles so crucial in the team event. They say that now, after spending an entire year putting 0 thought into women's doubles compositions?

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-16-2019, 12:25 PM
they also just realized Sato is a good bet against Ding Ning and her first victory wasn't a fluke !

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-16-2019, 12:31 PM
Maybe the seeding is decided with the Jan 2020 rankings ? Does anyone know ?

Vlad Celler
12-16-2019, 12:47 PM
Maybe the seeding is decided with the Jan 2020 rankings ? Does anyone know ?

So, the January rating is already known now ... Unofficial, of course, but in January it will not change .....

zeio
12-16-2019, 12:59 PM
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?20935-Japan-Women-s-Race-to-Tokyo-2020-Singles&p=294149&viewfull=1#post294149
https://ittf.cdnomega.com/eu/2019/12/Men-OTR-2019.12.pdf

2. The Olympic Ranking will be used for ranking, as well as for seeding (July 2020), for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-16-2019, 01:34 PM
not sure the meaning of their sentence.

is this pdf document updated every month ? so they will take whatever this document is saying on July 2020 ?

Vlad Celler
12-16-2019, 01:36 PM
Specific information appeared on the TOP-12 Japan (December 21-22, 2019)

http://www.jtta.or.jp/tournament/tabid/122/rptid/581/Default.aspx

(http://www.jtta.or.jp/tournament/tabid/122/rptid/581/Default.aspx)Hirano Miu
Sato Hitomi
Miyu Kato
Hayata Hina
Shibata Saki
Hashimoto Honoka
Nagasaki Miyu
Idesawa Kyoka
Narumoto Ayami
Ayane Morita

(no Kihara....:()

If I understand correctly, this is a selection for WTTC-2020 ..
And from the first round only two go to the second, where Ito and Ishikawa ....
That is, in the first round of Hirano, Sato, Hayata, at best, only two will go to the second round ....

zeio
12-16-2019, 02:31 PM
not sure the meaning of their sentence.

is this pdf document updated every month ? so they will take whatever this document is saying on July 2020 ?

https://www.ittf.com/olympic-rankings/

The July 2020 ranking will be used for seeding. You never know. These folks are so poor at being consistent.

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-16-2019, 02:52 PM
If I understand correctly, this is a selection for WTTC-2020 ..
And from the first round only two go to the second, where Ito and Ishikawa ....
That is, in the first round of Hirano, Sato, Hayata, at best, only two will go to the second round ....
Yep and there is another slot I believe for the national champion
And 2 others for the 2 best ranked players (ito and Ishikawa). If Ito or Ishikawa win either event then coaches will choose by themselves

Vlad Celler
12-16-2019, 03:05 PM
Yep and there is another slot I believe for the national champion
And 2 others for the 2 best ranked players (ito and Ishikawa). If Ito or Ishikawa win either event then coaches will choose by themselves

Thank....

To be honest, I did not quite understand why Kihara is not in the first round ... In the December ITTF rating, she is higher than in Nagasaki .....

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-16-2019, 03:37 PM
There are some seeded players (according to ITTF ranking ?) and the rest of the bunch had to qualify through a tournament earlier this year. Need to double check but probably Kihara didn’t make it.

Vlad Celler
12-16-2019, 03:52 PM
There are some seeded players (according to ITTF ranking ?) and the rest of the bunch had to qualify through a tournament earlier this year. Need to double check but probably Kihara didn’t make it.

If I understand correctly, the first eight in the ITTF ranking in December ...8-Honoka, 9-Kihara, 10-Nagasaki ....
But the first two, Ito and Ishikawa, do not play in the first round .....In this case, it would be logical to add to the number of participants the numbers 9 and 10 of the December rating ...And the last two places - previously selected in the qualification ....

zeio
12-16-2019, 03:56 PM
Specifically, it was also mentioned that Ito might not be able to realistically take down 2 singles matches, which is what makes the doubles so crucial in the team event. They say that now, after spending an entire year putting 0 thought into women's doubles compositions?

LGL stings again.

https://youtu.be/6Vcty3rEHog?start=1061&end=1092
LGL: Generally speaking, the WS is very close, even I can't tell right now who will make the lineup. We can't sit here doing nothing just because of that. We still have to plan for it. The best plan is the ideal one that I think will be the best lineup. After it gets messed up, it's not just 1 event that gets messed up, but the balance of the entire plate. You can't let all 5 golds, all the matches, get messed up just for 1 player, or any 1 point.

...Given Miyazaki's stance, Ito playing in the doubles will not happen. Therefore, it'll be either Ishikawa or Hayata. If Ishikawa gets the 2nd spot, Hayata will be out for certain. But then they'll have a big headache over who to choose for the XD - Mizutani/Ito, Yoshimura/Ishikawa, Harimoto/Ito, Harimoto/Hirano, or Harimoto/Ishikawa? If they go with Yoshimura/Ishikawa, because Mizutani will likely not get the 2nd spot, they'll face a dilemma for the MT, due to how the Olympic team ranking is calculated (https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?20935-Japan-Women-s-Race-to-Tokyo-2020-Singles&p=294149&viewfull=1#post294149).

All for One vs One for All. Individual vs Group. The cost of being transparent, fair and just.

...But due to the peculiar selection system, the only way for Hayata to make the WT and potentially XD is for Hirano to make the 2nd singles. As it stands, having Niwa and Ishikawa play singles puts the JNT in the second most awkward position as they royally screw up their lineups for MT, WT and XD.

Me sad? Why would I? I have nothing to lose here. It's Japan that should feel sad. I'm merely speaking from the Japanese standpoint of fielding the best possible lineup. It's they that want the gold medal here.

From the CNT's perspective, it's not just about any 1 event. They treat all 5 events as 1 continuity, each connected to the other.

Tempest/Comet
12-16-2019, 05:27 PM
Results of the selection preliminary round. This is for the WTTC 2020.
Kihara with 3win 2loss came 6th and did not make it to Round 2.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.butterfly.co.jp/takurepo/tournament/amp/013358.html

Top 12 is a show competition, it has no bearing on who’s going anywhere.

To be honest, I did not quite understand why Kihara is not in the first round .....

NextLevel
12-16-2019, 05:34 PM
One thing is quite certain for me: Germany will be second seeded with high probability. Timo is in very good shape recently and Dima is getting his form back, also Franziska is definitely top 20 player who has beaten chinese players. Probability for all of them 3 to climb little in world ranking is undisputable.
At the same time besides Harimoto who let's suppose keep his world ranking others (niwa and mizutani) is rather very hard to keep their ranking not considering moving up.
Let's do not forget about other countries top players who definitely will do their best to climb in ranking, I am thinking about JYS, WCT, LJH, Pitch and others.
I understand now Mizutani and Niwa have advantage but if they do not score much their points will be taken out next year.

Don't underestimate Korea.

Vlad Celler
12-16-2019, 05:35 PM
Results of the selection preliminary round. This is for the WTTC 2020.
Kihara with 3win 2loss came 6th and did not make it to Round 2.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.butterfly.co.jp/takurepo/tournament/amp/013358.html

Top 12 is a show competition, it has no bearing on who’s going anywhere.

I see ... Thank you for clarifying!:o
I thought that the results will affect the formation of the team at WTTС-2020 ...:o

Sali
12-16-2019, 05:52 PM
Don't underestimate Korea.
I do not but they rather have no chance to be second seeded like germany.
Although they can meet Japan in earlier round but if they not take lim jonghoon I doubt they have chance especially with LSS who doesn't play top level for a long time.

Jacky Kwok
12-16-2019, 06:16 PM
I believe Korean men’s selection is quite clear. JYS, LSS and JWJ will be selected. LSS will probably play XD with JJH if they can be qualified. So MS will probably be JYS and JWJ.

For Korean women’s team, JJH is the core and will play team, WS and XD. I guess SHW will be selected for team and single as well due to her WR. Then they will need someone to play double with JJH for the team event. YHE is the obvious choice due to her experience and long-term WD partnership with JJH. But somehow I want SYB to be selected instead.

NextLevel
12-16-2019, 06:17 PM
Although they can meet Japan in earlier round but if they not take lim jonghoon I doubt they have chance especially with LSS who doesn't play top level for a long time.

Not sure why - Jang Woojin, Lee Sangsu and Jeoung Youngsik can be above Dima.and Ovtcharov and you never know how healthy Boll will be. I agree it is more likely Germany will be on top, but Korea is dangerous any time.

Sali
12-16-2019, 08:02 PM
Not sure why - Jang Woojin, Lee Sangsu and Jeoung Youngsik can be above Dima.and Ovtcharov and you never know how healthy Boll will be. I agree it is more likely Germany will be on top, but Korea is dangerous any time.
For me jwj is very unstable if you look his this year matches. He lost many matches to lower ranked players.
JYS is also unstable but this year od much better.
LSS is getting worse and worse.
Of course they can be dangerous like england and Sweden can be.

Shine
12-16-2019, 08:05 PM

He finally praised Ito, and said often her matches against Chinese players are often decided by a narrow margin, its often just the question of being a bit more lucky on a net or edge He'd better put his hopes down as regards Sato playing two singles as an option, Only Ding Ning, Wang Yidi and Wang Manyu every other time struggles with her, Shasha, CM, Liu Shiwen beat her without two much problems, And LGL was saying in that post TWC video about Ding's role to play DOUBLES in the final being hindered by the injury, so there was no plan for her to play singles against Japan or so it seems to me, Shasha played Sato in the ATTC team final and if not for her forcing things she should have had a 3-0 victory but 3-1 is not bad either, So it's only against Ding that the Sato plan can work, And for what it's worth, the CNT can engage Ding is some special chopper practice and going into the Olympics, she suddenly meets Sato and wins with ease lol, Then what?

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-16-2019, 08:10 PM
yeh he did mention the Sato option but i think it was more to put it on the table and then dismiss it. thats what can be implied a bit by the way he speaks and explains the whole thing. At least thats how i perceived it

NextLevel
12-16-2019, 08:17 PM
yeh he did mention the Sato option but i think it was more to put it on the table and then dismiss it. thats what can be implied a bit by the way he speaks and explains the whole thing. At least thats how i perceived it

I think he just wants to give the impression that he didn't just pick the team with his eyes closed. We all know the team already. The top 3 guys have a year to fix it and so do the women.

Jacky Kwok
12-17-2019, 12:37 AM
Agree they won’t pick Sato. They don’t even want to try this option during the TWC when playing against some weaker teams in the group stage and kept Sato on the bench the whole time.

driversbeat
12-17-2019, 04:28 AM
They should drop Suh. Jeon and Yang for doubles and Choi or Shin as their third player.

daejoons
12-17-2019, 04:58 AM
He'd better put his hopes down as regards Sato playing two singles as an option, Only Ding Ning, Wang Yidi and Wang Manyu every other time struggles with her, Shasha, CM, Liu Shiwen beat her without two much problems, And LGL was saying in that post TWC video about Ding's role to play DOUBLES in the final being hindered by the injury, so there was no plan for her to play singles against Japan or so it seems to me, Shasha played Sato in the ATTC team final and if not for her forcing things she should have had a 3-0 victory but 3-1 is not bad either, So it's only against Ding that the Sato plan can work, And for what it's worth, the CNT can engage Ding is some special chopper practice and going into the Olympics, she suddenly meets Sato and wins with ease lol, Then what?

In addition to this. Sato cannot play two singles I thought. She would have to come in as the third player since she didnt finish in the top 2, and the third player always has to play doubles during an olympic team match. Meaning Sato couldnt play two singles.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-17-2019, 05:04 AM
@daejoons

you are wrong. its been already all explained here.

driversbeat
12-17-2019, 05:26 AM
What are the rules for reserve players in mixed doubles? If say Mima gets injured, is Ishikawa or Hirano paired with Mizutani instead? Or does a reserve pair (Hina/Harimoto) automatically replace them? Or do they just forfeit their spot altogether?

Vlad Celler
12-17-2019, 05:47 AM
What are the rules for reserve players in mixed doubles? If say Mima gets injured, is Ishikawa or Hirano paired with Mizutani instead? Or does a reserve pair (Hina/Harimoto) automatically replace them? Or do they just forfeit their spot altogether?

Yes, it is interesting...

silvershamaa
12-17-2019, 06:16 AM
For me jwj is very unstable if you look his this year matches. He lost many matches to lower ranked players.
JYS is also unstable but this year od much better.
LSS is getting worse and worse.
Of course they can be dangerous like england and Sweden can be.

It's certainly not the case that they simply CAN be dangerous like england and sweden can be. They are ALWAYS dangerous and a solid team, unlike england and sweden, the potential levels of all their top players are uncomparable when all of them are well prepared. Just look at the last 2 WTTTCs and the recent World Team Cup.

Korea played China in the final of the world cup and won a doubles game (JYS and LSS vs Xu Xin/LJK), after beating Chinese Taipei 3-0. England lost to Chinese Taipei 0-3, and Sweden lost to the USA in the groups.

zeio
12-17-2019, 07:21 AM

No idea since the XD is a new event.

For previous editions, a team may participate with 2 players if the 3rd player is injured, ill or disqualified. Replacement must be made 2 hours before the start the next match. It appears no replacement is allowed for singles event.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160817064244/http://www.ittf.com/World_Events/2016OG/Regulations/Rio2016_Specific_Regulations.pdf

zeio
12-17-2019, 07:41 AM

Double faceplam...
https://i.imgur.com/9omsH6L.jpg

In case it's not apparent to you, every country is aiming for the XD event. LSS/JJH is the only pair to have pushed XX/LSW to the brink of death in WTTC(3-4) and ATTC(2-3).

The lineup at the TWC already makes it clear. Interpolate the rest on your own.

zeio
12-17-2019, 08:03 AM
Don't worry about what Miyazaki said on TV.

He has to remain unbiased and present all options. Well, not all as Kato was left out but the co-host mistook her for Sato. His stance has already been made very clear, that there must be a certain mechanism for team selection (https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?20935-Japan-Women-s-Race-to-Tokyo-2020-Singles&p=298898&viewfull=1#post298898).

BTW, the final episode of the NHK documentary series of the selection race will air next Sunday. Stay tuned.

zeio
12-17-2019, 10:26 AM
https://www.daily.co.jp/general/2019/12/15/0012961042.shtml

伊藤は1-9といきなり劣勢となった第1ゲームを大逆転で先取したが、過去0勝2敗の世界1位の壁にはね返された。混合ダブルス決勝から約2時間しか休憩がなく、試合中には腰に痛みも感じたという。

大会中は短時間睡眠を強いられる日もあり「元気がなかった。自分が勝手にストレスを感じてしまった」と疲労困ぱい。「19歳だが(体力的には)たぶん30歳くらいだと思う。疲れを取りながら頑張りたい」と自嘲しつつ、「五輪中もどれだけ寝られるか分からない。どんな状態でも勝てるように地力を上げたい」と誓った。
Ito pre-empted the first game, which suddenly became inferior with 1-9, with a major reversal, but was hit back to the world's top wall with 0 wins and 2 losses. He had a break only about 2 hours after the mixed doubles final and felt pain in his waist during the match.

“There was a day when I was forced to sleep for a short time during the tournament,” I was not feeling well. “I'm 19 years old but I think I'm about 30 years old. I want to do my best while getting tired,” he said, “I do n’t know how much I can sleep during the Olympics. I vowed.

Mytoman
12-17-2019, 10:49 AM
No idea since the XD is a new event.

For previous editions, a team may participate with 2 players if the 3rd player is injured, ill or disqualified. Replacement must be made 2 hours before the start the next match. It appears no replacement is allowed for singles event.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160817064244/http://www.ittf.com/World_Events/2016OG/Regulations/Rio2016_Specific_Regulations.pdf

Teams are allocated to the NOCs by number (1 team and 2 athletes). The remaining single places and mix places are allocated to the athletes. For me this means that it is not up to the NOC to replace an injured player in singles or an injured pair in mix. The place will go to the next qualified player or pair. (I think it might be difficult to find the next qualified mix double pair that complies with the regulations close to the games. They would have to be entered for the games, and even in the team if the nations has one. I dont think the nation would use it's P athlete as a late replacement for mix, and then losing the original player for the team).

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-17-2019, 03:37 PM
it is well known that Mizutani wear no pants (no-pan !)

Here are Harimoto pants

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B073VJ4N1H/

CHOREI !!! チョレイ!!!

Vlad Celler
12-18-2019, 04:18 AM
JTTA
The composition of the Japanese team for the tournament Germany Open (January 2020)

http://www.jtta.or.jp/tournament/tabid/125/rptid/582/Default.aspx

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-18-2019, 05:03 AM
surprised they are not sending an armada

Vlad Celler
12-18-2019, 05:13 AM
Perhaps this is only a preliminary version .... Strictly the first five by rating .... Later they can add .... Deadline December 29 ....

Janard
12-18-2019, 06:08 AM
That is team A except Hayata (i remember seeing that she was moved up and Shibata down to team B). I wonder what she has done to offend the association.

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-18-2019, 06:29 AM
Let us wait. I’ve been suspecting something for a while but suspicions only. She is young still. But she may need to follow the Hamamoto route if she wants to play in the Olympics someday

Vlad Celler
12-18-2019, 07:25 AM
That is team A except Hayata (i remember seeing that she was moved up and Shibata down to team B). I wonder what she has done to offend the association.

Tell me, where can I see the current composition of teams A and B?

Janard
12-18-2019, 07:42 AM
Tell me, where can I see the current composition of teams A and B?

The last I saw was this: http://www.jtta.or.jp/Portals/0/images/player/nt_list/20191004_NTmember_W.pdf

Vlad Celler
12-18-2019, 07:45 AM
The last I saw was this: http://www.jtta.or.jp/Portals/0/images/player/nt_list/20191004_NTmember_W.pdf

Thank !:)

The October ITTF rating is taken as the basis ...
Let's wait for updates .....

zeio
12-18-2019, 10:42 AM

Remember this piece of news (https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?20935-Japan-Women-s-Race-to-Tokyo-2020-Singles&p=285400&viewfull=1#post285400)? A Japanese netizen inquired Miyazaki on Twitter, and the reply he got...

https://twitter.com/donata_japan/status/1092665073552642049
https://i.imgur.com/JEYXNyf.png

In case it gets removed...
https://web.archive.org/web/20191218104024/https://twitter.com/donata_japan/status/1092665073552642049
http://archive.is/xfa5E

driversbeat
12-18-2019, 02:29 PM
Hayata offended JTTA? How? When? Where?

zeio
12-18-2019, 06:09 PM
Sayaka Hirano is already looking at the Olympic bracket...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZNVP65qiqk

Janard
12-19-2019, 02:31 AM
Sayaka Hirano is already looking at the Olympic bracket...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZNVP65qiqk

Totally random observation but the Sayaka Hirano of today is so much more smiley. As a player, I remember she had a textbook RBF or what some would call "blackface".

Vlad Celler
12-19-2019, 04:23 AM
Review 2019: Hina Hayata responding to challenges
https://www.ittf.com/2019/12/18/review-2019-hina-hayata-responding-challenges/

zeio
12-19-2019, 06:33 AM
Totally random observation but the Sayaka Hirano of today is so much more smiley. As a player, I remember she had a textbook RBF or what some would call "blackface".

卓球の鬼と呼ばれて。
https://twitter.com/worldtt/status/907156035273580544

zeio
12-19-2019, 08:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiwU0Fp1OGQ

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-19-2019, 08:18 AM
Kasumi is kawaii !!!

Vlad Celler
12-19-2019, 09:45 AM
Lion Top 12 Jun Mizutani will not participate ...:(

zeio
12-19-2019, 09:54 AM
Hayata offended JTTA? How? When? Where?

Takkyu_wa_inochi brought that up first half a year ago. I personally haven't seen any concrete evidence that points to it. It's all conjecture right now.

Even though Miyazaki dismissed that report as "fake news", Hayata did focus on her singles, and stopped playing doubles after WTTC.

If you check out the World Tour Standings for XD, MD and WD, you'd notice their thought pattern.

For XD, it's all right-left pair. Harimoto never paired with Ito likely for that reason.

Same deal for MD except Niwa/Mizutani. They were forced to try this.

WD is the only event with right-right pair and chopper pair. Yet, Hirano never paired with Hayata.

Despite what the folks say on TV and to the media about the importance of winning the doubles and how the 3rd player will be picked based on "doubles/team compatibility" regardless of ranking, by summertime, they already had an idea of the final lineup and "gave up" on other lower-ranked/defensive/wrong-dominant-hand players, as feared by a Japanese blogger (https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?20935-Japan-Women-s-Race-to-Tokyo-2020-Singles&p=298898&viewfull=1#post298898).

From the way Yoshimura was put back into the picture for ATTC, TWC and how he was the only Japanese male player at the NA Open, it feels as if they realized "oh, shit. Niwa is gonna *bleep* up our lineups."

(Singles players in bold)
https://www.ittf.com/ittf-world-tour/2019-ittf-world-tour/world-tour-standings/
Rank Pairing Events Points
4 Mizutani/Ito 7 676
5 Harimoto/Hayata 5 526
16 Morizono/Ito 1 150
20 Harimoto/Ishikawa 4 139
21 Niwa/Ito 2 113
61 Yoshimura/Ishikawa 1 13

13 Morizono/Yoshimura 5 188
21 Uda/Yoshimura 1 100
30 Togami/Uda 2 57
36 Harimoto/Niwa 3 44
40 Morizono/Oshima 1 38
40 Morizono/Ueda 1 38
55 Harimoto/Kizukuri 1 19
87 Mizutani/Niwa 1 0
87 Niwa/Yoshimura 1 0
87 Jin/Matsushima 1 0

1 Kihara/Nagasaki 9 739
10 Hirano/Shibata 4 263
15 Hirano/Ishikawa 3 188
22 Nakamori/Odo 2 100
26 Hayata/Ito 1 75
26 Hashimoto/Sato 1 75
63 Ojio H./Soma 1 19
63 Idesawa/Odo 1 19

Vlad Celler
12-19-2019, 10:11 AM
Miyazaki's words diverge from deeds ...
In fact, Hayata has not played WD since this spring ....And I doubt that this is her decision ....
The coming tournaments in January-February will show the position of JNT ...Will Hayata be included in the WD, XD ....

zeio
12-19-2019, 10:17 AM
https://youtu.be/ronSyQdV5dg

Jacky Kwok
12-19-2019, 12:44 PM
Besides of his waist injury, I think Mizutani is in a very bad mood or depression after losing the Olympic single spot.

Lion Top 12 Jun Mizutani will not participate ...:(

Anywhere we can watch Japan Top 12 online?

Vlad Celler
12-19-2019, 01:17 PM
Besides of his waist injury, I think Mizutani is in a very bad mood or depression after losing the Olympic single spot.

Anywhere we can watch Japan Top 12 online?

To be honest, I don’t know yet ... I think someone will tell when the games will start ....

apacible
12-19-2019, 04:33 PM
With the WTGF wrapped up, the Singles Race is over. Congratulations to Ito and Ishikawa for crossing the finish line first. For the first singles spot, Ito took it convincingly with almost a 4000-point lead in WR points over Ishikawa. A big reason for this is Ito’s improved consistency. She’s consistently gone deep in the majority of this year’s tournaments and didn’t lose against any non-Chinese foreigner this year. Even though she won one less tournament than last year, I consider this year to be her best in terms of overall performance.

In my opinion, in the race for the 2nd spot, everything was still up in the air until the North American Open concluded. That tournament pretty much determined not only the singles representative but the team composition as well. I mentioned earlier that Ishikawa and Hirano may withdraw from that tournament given the number of Chinese players entered and the fact that they can only gain a small number of points even if they won the tournament. I thought they might be better off focusing on the WTGF given concerns of jet lag. I'm glad they proved me wrong, and they defeated all Chinese players in their path to the final for the last singles spot. It was a tournament where both were called to step up, and they both did so after their shaky performances in the last quarter of the year.

Unfortunately for Hayata, that tournament was a big blow to her Olympic chances. There are two main arguments for selecting Hayata for the Olympic team: 1. She's the best doubles player on the national team and 2. She's more of a threat against Chinese players than her other teammates besides Ito. The first statement still holds true. However, the second statement was put in question after the tournament. The theory was that if Hirano and Ishikawa also started in the qualifications like Hayata and met Chinese opponents early on, Hayata would perform better. However, in this tournament, the opposite happened, and Hayata lost to the first Chinese opponent she faced while Ishikawa, Hirano, and Kato all defeated 2 Chinese opponents on their way to the Top 4. Hayata still had the best winning rate against Chinese players among the JNT this year, and no one can take that away from her. However, it's unfortunate she was unable to win when it mattered, which was in the NA Open where everyone was put on equal footing in facing Chinese players early. She'll have a chance at redemption in the WTTTC trials and next year's tournaments.

Lastly, I just want to thank everyone for your contributions to this thread. When I started this thread a few months ago, I never expected it to be so active. I honestly just expected to post updates of the WR points after each tournament but even Zeio took over that role by coming up with a better and more comprehensive spreadsheet to keep track of the race. I enjoyed reading the discussions in this thread and learned a lot from all of you. I also look forward to our future discussions especially with the Japan WTTTC trials/Top 12 coming up (still not sure if I should start a new thread or just use this thread for the discussion). While the tournament is technically only for determining a spot in the WTTTC next year, who knows what impact the performance of players in the tournament may have in their chances at the 3rd Olympic spot or at the very least, the Olympic alternate spot since the official announcement of these spots are still on Jan. 6, 2020.

drunix80
12-19-2019, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the update. I think Ishikawa's experience will help JNT. There are only. two Chinese in singles and I think she will do good against the non-chinese bunch. Tough luck for Hayata but she can try her luck in next cycle. It is time for her to fill the holes in her game which is mainly consistency and the mental aspect.

BTW., who are in the Men's team ?

Vlad Celler
12-19-2019, 05:59 PM
With the WTGF wrapped up, the Singles Race is over. Congratulations to Ito and Ishikawa for crossing the finish line first. For the first singles spot, Ito took it convincingly with almost a 4000-point lead in WR points over Ishikawa. A big reason for this is Ito’s improved consistency. She’s consistently gone deep in the majority of this year’s tournaments and didn’t lose against any non-Chinese foreigner this year. Even though she won one less tournament than last year, I consider this year to be her best in terms of overall performance.

In my opinion, in the race for the 2nd spot, everything was still up in the air until the North American Open concluded. That tournament pretty much determined not only the singles representative but the team composition as well. I mentioned earlier that Ishikawa and Hirano may withdraw from that tournament given the number of Chinese players entered and the fact that they can only gain a small number of points even if they won the tournament. I thought they might be better off focusing on the WTGF given concerns of jet lag. I'm glad they proved me wrong, and they defeated all Chinese players in their path to the final for the last singles spot. It was a tournament where both were called to step up, and they both did so after their shaky performances in the last quarter of the year.

Unfortunately for Hayata, that tournament was a big blow to her Olympic chances. There are two main arguments for selecting Hayata for the Olympic team: 1. She's the best doubles player on the national team and 2. She's more of a threat against Chinese players than her other teammates besides Ito. The first statement still holds true. However, the second statement was put in question after the tournament. The theory was that if Hirano and Ishikawa also started in the qualifications like Hayata and met Chinese opponents early on, Hayata would perform better. However, in this tournament, the opposite happened, and Hayata lost to the first Chinese opponent she faced while Ishikawa, Hirano, and Kato all defeated 2 Chinese opponents on their way to the Top 4. Hayata still had the best winning rate against Chinese players among the JNT this year, and no one can take that away from her. However, it's unfortunate she was unable to win when it mattered, which was in the NA Open where everyone was put on equal footing in facing Chinese players early. She'll have a chance at redemption in the WTTTC trials and next year's tournaments.

Lastly, I just want to thank everyone for your contributions to this thread. When I started this thread a few months ago, I never expected it to be so active. I honestly just expected to post updates of the WR points after each tournament but even Zeio took over that role by coming up with a better and more comprehensive spreadsheet to keep track of the race. I enjoyed reading the discussions in this thread and learned a lot from all of you. I also look forward to our future discussions especially with the Japan WTTTC trials/Top 12 coming up (still not sure if I should start a new thread or just use this thread for the discussion). While the tournament is technically only for determining a spot in the WTTTC next year, who knows what impact the performance of players in the tournament may have in their chances at the 3rd Olympic spot or at the very least, the Olympic alternate spot since the official announcement of these spots are still on Jan. 6, 2020.

////I also look forward to our future discussions especially with the Japan WTTTC trials/Top 12 coming up (still not sure if I should start a new thread or just use this thread for the discussion). While the tournament is technically only for determining a spot in the WTTTC next year, who knows what impact the performance of players in the tournament may have in their chances at the 3rd Olympic spot or at the very least, the Olympic alternate spot since the official announcement of these spots are still on Jan. 6, 2020. ///
Of course go on! We wait !!! :)
(and many thanks for creating this thread! You yourself see how interesting it was for discussion! )

Jacky Kwok
12-19-2019, 06:31 PM
Thanks for everyone who contributed to this thread. I am still very new to this forum. This is the most interesting thread so far because unlike most other threads, it is not about a tournament, not about equipment, not about technique. Its nature is quite unique and it is amazing how this thread kept so active for so long.

And yes, let’s go on. I don’t mind to use this thread for the race to the next Olympic too.

Jacky Kwok
12-20-2019, 03:02 AM
I think for Hayata, the most critical lost of the year was losing to Kato in the last Japan Top 12 on March which cost her the WTTC single spot. And this may also make JTTA and the coaches have reservation on her mental strength. If she won that match, I can imagine she is a core JNT team member throughout the year.

I hope she can redeem herself by winning day 1 of Japan Top 12 this time and earn herself a spot in the 2020 WTTTC.

Vlad Celler
12-20-2019, 06:45 AM
I think for Hayata, the most critical lost of the year was losing to Kato in the last Japan Top 12 on March which cost her the WTTC single spot. And this may also make JTTA and the coaches have reservation on her mental strength. If she won that match, I can imagine she is a core JNT team member throughout the year.

I hope she can redeem herself by winning day 1 of Japan Top 12 this time and earn herself a spot in the 2020 WTTTC.

I agree, Hina Hayata and her coach need to work, Hayata has certain problems ....
So far, according to the results of the year, she practically caught up with Kato in the ITTF rating ....In any case, both will be on an equal footing, will be forced to undergo qualifications...
But when calculating the rating for March and April, Hayata’s losses will be greater than Kato’s (deduction of old points for February-March 2019)
Sato is still in 17th place ...Most likely, until the middle of the year she will be able to stay in the TOP-20, avoid qualifying rounds ....
I’m not sure that Hayata will be part of the team at WTTC-2020 ...
Top 12 - no results for seeding .....Today is likely to be published ....Main Draw for the first round ...

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-20-2019, 06:55 AM
the only real chance for Hayata or whoever else than the trio of Ito / Ishikawa / Hirano to be part of WTTC-2020 is to win the National Championships next month, or else one needs to be a very good friend of MIYAZAKI.

She is not the favourite to win, but you never know. ITO has (very) highs and (some) lows. ISHIKAWA and HIRANO are slightly better than HAYATA, there's plenty of other high level competitors. The fact that the tournament comes very early in the season means there could be some surprise (although in the last years I can't remember many big surprises !)

Jacky Kwok
12-20-2019, 06:58 AM
WTTTC 2020 lineup will be:
2 Olympic single players
1 Olympic team player
1 All Japan Championship (Empress Cup) single champion
1 Japan Top 12 day 1 winner

If any of the above are overlapped, the JTTA strengthen division will make decision.

Winning Japan Top 12 day 1 is like Hayata’s only chance to get to WTTTC 2020. Even if there is an open spot, e.g. Ito wins Empress Cup, JTTA will likely add Sato to WTTTC.

Hayata should have the ability to win any players besides Ito (who will not play until day 2). So she need to prove herself this time.

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-20-2019, 06:59 AM
ok thanks for the clarification. so tomorrow's competition will be THE BIG DAY for many of those athletes...

Vlad Celler
12-20-2019, 07:14 AM
2 Olympic single players
1 Olympic team player

If any of the above are overlapped, the JTTA strengthen division will make decision.

Winning Japan Top 12 day 1 is like Hayata’s only chance to get to WTTTC 2020. Even if there is an open spot, e.g. Ito wins Empress Cup, JTTA will likely add Sato to WTTTC.

Hayata should have the ability to win any players besides Ito (who will not play until day 2). So she need to prove herself this time.

Ito and Ishikawa will not play in the first round ....

In the second round, knockout, in the top of Hirano and Sato .....

Vlad Celler
12-20-2019, 07:15 AM
ok thanks for the clarification. so tomorrow's competition will be THE BIG DAY for many of those athletes...

Hina Hayata, happiness and good luck to you!

Hayata Hina 早田 ひな Fans Page (https://www.facebook.com/Hayata-Hina-早田-ひな-Fans-Page-1760511517525306/?__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARCm4ttihEBU-2ldCbnVAPdckvH3T6YIKyDs8RouSNXbjigjF9e92gmFq9Vexnc713u2xyTTSSFDdUs_zzVMkpyAav7gjQZeTx0RQLlxelcmyebfZJMri5ltuTeUpTCQbq2tcZwklhr1Usk8yQUofoGsQlndNabmvrzTulMTr3o9_FhY3sETLI4DGJ68xGibxu6mOupvRbFHhyyo2jwbT5hqysm1FimW-UD953V_1v2mM0CvgyNVxPX0Cn_H2nLjpxTJv9CqsBF27nB_Vwyw82EDITUGfMFK8Jw-qdU4Y6m2-y6j9iKzzQv045AyRQTRRdb24MUYcQRO8NZgYvb5OGxikb4e&__xts__%5B1%5D=68.ARBj7jn3U0l5ixGDYAoLjcIWFi-7XfcOF-pBo_OuesEb5TNk7gDzF4g6HZW3QFOVq-VEEsDy9IvsE5Qm8hGkxxOeYYfwHVC0dmcLrL28PdQ10ym3jIc-HaCm_HTnhr-u79bICLGOkQBhp3ey_QVNYRi5D5-ZqFLuAu1yT9_Pn5vIJqsL6TP4JjJ2tQ7PpKrc7A4mRYl0DsadJTV2qc-BLXQHHoeqE7xrRaCmZRKhWHI8CehSyHF_Ayspw6LRhLoFywOd4G1IMY7zTkfcjogZV7Yzg8VcZVp-SZifFUZA9sNsILJfc9NRmT5hnkLhLuDzadkD4NB7jZ9EgGypq-mUYm_6_4Wq&__tn__=kC-R&eid=ARDy0uTCPgzctOGisW2eH4HsRXCiu2qb8iBnPdg_0dRp7PUoNztn9AfJGtigVJGprt9_VkeM3gJs5bNl&hc_ref=ARTN1yh-6wIAiLf0yw7uUUwKEbsLsDpa_do_iWxHH_wb7MrKQ-1MXwcMScIVDMly_go&fref=nf)45 min·

選手たちが練習を行っております!
選考会優勝者が世界卓球2020(団体戦)
の代表権を手にします!
#世界卓球 (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/世界卓球?source=feed_text&epa=HASHTAG&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARBj7jn3U0l5ixGDYAoLjcIWFi-7XfcOF-pBo_OuesEb5TNk7gDzF4g6HZW3QFOVq-VEEsDy9IvsE5Qm8hGkxxOeYYfwHVC0dmcLrL28PdQ10ym3jIc-HaCm_HTnhr-u79bICLGOkQBhp3ey_QVNYRi5D5-ZqFLuAu1yT9_Pn5vIJqsL6TP4JjJ2tQ7PpKrc7A4mRYl0DsadJTV2qc-BLXQHHoeqE7xrRaCmZRKhWHI8CehSyHF_Ayspw6LRhLoFywOd4G1IMY7zTkfcjogZV7Yzg8VcZVp-SZifFUZA9sNsILJfc9NRmT5hnkLhLuDzadkD4NB7jZ9EgGypq-mUYm_6_4Wq&__tn__=%2ANK-R) 2020

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-20-2019, 07:33 AM
the junior players, Kihara Nagasaki, of course, are going to serious outsiders for those 2 spots.

Tempest/Comet
12-20-2019, 07:53 AM
Top 12 is different from Round 2(Final) of the WTTC Qualification/Selection (pls see Title of the events - these two are separate/different competitions).
These two events are held TOGETHER so that the winner of the Qualification (1spot in the WTTC) can also become a Top 12 competitor, and that Ishikawa and Ito cannot opt out like they did before.
Hayata’s 2019 problems began with last year’s WTTC Qualification, where she breezed through R1 undefeated, only to loose to Kato in the last rounds, and lost her chance for the WTTC, and therefore significant points.
For Hayata to play in 2020’s WTTC, she has to win the on Day1(Qualification), or the All Japan National Championships.
Top 12 (day 2) has NO value on selection of any kind. Pls see Criteria as published by JTTA.

Tempest/Comet
12-20-2019, 07:56 AM
the junior players, Kihara Nagasaki, of course, are going to serious outsiders for those 2 spots.
Kihara already lost in Round 1 of the Qualifications, placing 6, with 3 wins 2 loss. The ONLY chance for her to be in 2020’s WTTC is to win the All Japan National Championship.

zeio
12-20-2019, 08:12 AM
Can wait to see the reactions in Japan (https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?20392-Japan-Top-12-and-WTTC-2019-Trial-3-2-3&p=265555&viewfull=1#post265555) this time.

Tempest/Comet
12-20-2019, 08:15 AM
btw, truly thankful to zeio & apacible, this was a most enjoyable thread, the most that the two of us had ever posted before. And also to Vlad for his tireless computations. We feel we’re amongst friends.

Vlad Celler
12-20-2019, 08:44 AM
There is information, a knockout of the first round ... But I do not know how to insert here ....

Vlad Celler
12-20-2019, 08:47 AM

Vlad Celler
12-20-2019, 08:49 AM
btw, truly thankful to zeio & apacible, this was a most enjoyable thread, the most that the two of us had ever posted before. And also to Vlad for his tireless computations. We feel we’re amongst friends.

Thank you from the heart, sincerely touched ...:o:o:o

Jacky Kwok
12-20-2019, 08:56 AM
The draw:
https://mobile.twitter.com/tvtokyo_tt/status/1207924633065803776?s=21

Vlad Celler
12-20-2019, 09:00 AM

Hina Hayata at best should win against Hashimoto Honoka and Sato Hitomi .....:(
(in principle, if she reaches the final, she will play in the second round anyway, if I understand correctly ... But first you need to get out ...)
ひなさん、できます!

Tempest/Comet
12-20-2019, 09:18 AM
http://www.jtta.or.jp/Portals/0/images/tournament/Nationals/2019_pdf/20191218_top12_prospectus.pdf
On the second day, only 4 will play, with Ito against the 2nd place winner, Ishikawa against the 1st place winner from Day1, to compete for the big $$.
edit: removed mistake

Jacky Kwok
12-20-2019, 09:30 AM
http://www.jtta.or.jp/Portals/0/images/tournament/Nationals/2019_pdf/20191218_top12_prospectus.pdf

The reason for the unfamiliar names is the top 3 winners from the ALL JAPAN UNIVERSITY CHAMPIONSHIP will also play in the Top12.

No, only the University single champion got a spot. The 12 players:
- 8 by Dec WR
- 3 from stage 1 qualification
- 1 from University Championship

For any overlapping, will be replaced by stage 1 qualification ranking.

Since the 2 Olympic single players are already qualified for WTTTC, they don’t need to play on day 1. They just play on day 2 to compete the overall Top 12 winner.

zeio
12-20-2019, 09:37 AM

Not likely. Just look at Kato. She won the WTTC 2019 trial. She's on the national team the entire year. However, the JNT never has any intention of putting her on the Olympic lineup. How? Just look at her doubles, 0 entries for 2018 and only 1 entry(XD with Uda at the ATTC) for 2019.

As I've written, the hidden obstacle (https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?20935-Japan-Women-s-Race-to-Tokyo-2020-Singles&p=298805&viewfull=1#post298805) and unspoken rule (https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?20935-Japan-Women-s-Race-to-Tokyo-2020-Singles&p=298898&viewfull=1#post298898) have always been there from the very beginning.

It's always been a race among the top 3 from WTTC 2018 - Ishikawa, Ito and Hirano. It's always been just about who'll play singles.

There's always been this obsession, widely-accepted view or whatever, with the world ranking within the JNT and among the Japanese public in general. I remember a Japanese comment from the Marvelous 12 2019 over the selection system (https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?20392-Japan-Top-12-and-WTTC-2019-Trial-3-2-3&p=266271&viewfull=1#post266271) and how it contrasts with the reactions about their own after Mizutani lost the singles race (https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?20935-Japan-Women-s-Race-to-Tokyo-2020-Singles&p=299581&viewfull=1#post299581).

Tempest/Comet
12-20-2019, 09:40 AM
No, only the University single champion got a spot. The 12 players:
- 8 by Dec WR
- 3 from stage 1 qualification
- 1 from University Championship
You’re right, didn’t finish reading end of 2).

Vlad Celler
12-20-2019, 10:09 AM
Apparently, the ability to watch matches will be limited?:(

zeio
12-20-2019, 10:11 AM
Apparently, the ability to watch matches will be limited?:(

It'll be streamed live on TV Tokyo Youtube channel.

Vlad Celler
12-20-2019, 10:20 AM
It'll be streamed live on TV Tokyo Youtube channel.

Please, please .. Direct link ....

zeio
12-20-2019, 10:28 AM
No link now.

Practice session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x53G3vZ8Rpg

Vlad Celler
12-20-2019, 10:32 AM
If I understand correctly, here too it will not be possible to see at least the results?

https://web.playerapp.tokyo/table-tennis

zeio
12-20-2019, 10:34 AM
If I understand correctly, here too it will not be possible to see at least the results?

https://web.playerapp.tokyo/table-tennis

This one - https://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/tabletennis/2019/wttc2020_final_selection/result/ms_r16.html

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-20-2019, 11:45 AM
for those who can't read Kanji from top to bottom of post #1339
Hirano
Narumoto
Nagasaki
Shibata
Kato
Hayata
Hashimoto
Idesawa
Morita
Sato

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-20-2019, 11:47 AM
Men's draw (https://mobile.twitter.com/tvtokyo_tt/status/1207924633065803776/photo/1)
from top to bottom

Morizono
Oikawa
Hirano
Togami
Yoshimura M.
Yoshimura K.
Uda
Yoshiyama
Kizukuri
Jin

apacible
12-20-2019, 12:10 PM
Hina Hayata at best should win against Hashimoto Honoka and Sato Hitomi .....:(
(in principle, if she reaches the final, she will play in the second round anyway, if I understand correctly ... But first you need to get out ...)
ひなさん、できます!

It won't be easy for Hayata to win against the choppers given the schedule of matches.

The scheduling of matches is brutal. All matches are best of 7 and only 1 hour rest between matches. In Hayata's case, she'll likely have to play two very good choppers in Hashimoto and Sato with only 1 hour rest. If she manages to get through them, she'll only have one hour rest before the final match. The schedule will be tough on all participants but choppers tend to drain your energy worse than other style match-ups.

In this year's China National Championships, Wang Chuqin didn't have much enough energy in the final against Hou Yingchao after playing Ma Te in the SF and there was a decent amount of break time that day. The SF was at 12nn and the Final was at 8pm.

In the first day of the Japan Top 12, the QF is at 12nn, the SF at 2pm and the Final at 4pm! If JTTA wanted to finish everything in one day, maybe it could have spread out the matches until the evening. That way, it wouldn't be too hard on all the players.

Vlad Celler
12-20-2019, 12:19 PM
It bothers me very much .....According to ITTF statistics, it seems that Hyata can win both matches .... But the schedule is tight ....And both choppers are very, very serious rivals ....
And how much strength will remain on Nagasaki-Kato-Hirano .....

zeio
12-20-2019, 03:37 PM
Best-of-5 for day 1 would be more suitable, in line with the format for WTTTC. WTH are they thinking?

Vlad Celler
12-20-2019, 03:43 PM
It's hard to say ... Possible two games in a row with choppers (in any case, such games do not end quickly), with such a short interval between meetings ....:(

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-20-2019, 03:50 PM
Mizutani not playing because of ‘injury’ ... was the WTGF his last ever tournament ?

zeio
12-20-2019, 04:01 PM
Perhaps his way of saying sayonara(screw you) to the JNT?

zeio
12-20-2019, 04:53 PM
Draw ceremony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36b_fij5xNA

zeio
12-21-2019, 01:59 AM
T1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeKiuRKm3xI
T2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRqelk6pLQ8
T3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w9tSHHBCdA
T4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO_LICmCggA

zeio
12-21-2019, 02:06 AM
Nagasaki 0-4 Narumoto(成本), whose last name means "cost" in Chinese.

Jacky Kwok
12-21-2019, 02:28 AM
Men’s results:
Mizuki Oikawa 4:2 Yuki Hirano
Yuto Kizukuri 4:1 Ryoichi Yoshiyama

Women’s results;
Ayami Narumoto 4:0 Miyu Nagasaki
Ayane Morita 4:1 Kyoka Idesawa

Janard
12-21-2019, 02:47 AM
Nagasaki 0-4 Narumoto(成本), whose last name means "cost" in Chinese.

Meanwhile in Haikou, Yuling upon receiving news of her bestie losing...

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-21-2019, 02:53 AM
Morita is a rather unknown name but she’s been doing very well in T-League
Narumoto is a junior player. It’s a more surprising result but Idesawa has a lot of weaknesses with her LP game

TeoTeoTeo
12-21-2019, 03:11 AM
anywhere we can see schedule and results?>

Jacky Kwok
12-21-2019, 03:14 AM
http://japantabletennis.com/top12_201912/live.php?mode=10

anywhere we can see schedule and results?>

Jacky Kwok
12-21-2019, 03:25 AM
Men’s quarter final results:
Masataka Morisono 4:1 Mizuki Oikawa
Maharu Yoshimura 4:3 Shunsuke Togami
Kazuhiro Yoshimura 4:3 Yukiya Uda
Takuya Jin 4:3 Yuto Kizukuri

Jacky Kwok
12-21-2019, 03:33 AM
Narumoto (the one won Nagasaki) is left-handed and her backhand is some kinds of pips. And her tomahawk serve is quite effective.

Jacky Kwok
12-21-2019, 04:05 AM
Wow, Hayata won Hashimoto easily and some games Hashimoto only got 2 to 3 points.

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-21-2019, 04:14 AM
Gambatte Hina-chan !!

Jacky Kwok
12-21-2019, 04:30 AM
Women’s quarter final results:
Miu Hirano 4:2 Ayami Narumoto
Miyu Kato 4:2 Saki Shibata
Hina Hayata 4:0 Honoka Hashimoto
Hitomi Sato 4:2 Ayane Morita

Jacky Kwok
12-21-2019, 04:49 AM
Live score here:
https://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/tabletennis/smp/2019/wttc2020_final_selection/result/ms_semifinals.html

Jacky Kwok
12-21-2019, 05:15 AM
Men’s semi final results:
Masataka Morisono 4:3 Maharu Yoshimura
Takuya Jin 4:2 Kazuhiro Yoshimura

Maharu got a match point in game 6 but missed it.

Jacky Kwok
12-21-2019, 05:32 AM
If Morizono won Jin today, then Japanese men’s team may have more lefties than righties for WTTTC.

Jacky Kwok
12-21-2019, 06:01 AM
Congratulations to Hina-Chan for another 4:0 win.

Vlad Celler
12-21-2019, 06:02 AM
Hina Hayata passed both choppers with a score of 4: 0

Jacky Kwok
12-21-2019, 06:12 AM
Women’s semi final results:
Miu Hirano 4:2 Miyu Kato
Hina Hayata 4:0 Hitomi Sato

Vlad Celler
12-21-2019, 06:14 AM
We are waiting for the game of Hirano-Hayata ... Will Hirano take revenge for the last defeat?

In any case, Hayata in the second round ... Only with whom will have to play the first match, with Ishikawa or Ito .....

Jacky Kwok
12-21-2019, 06:22 AM
In any case, Hayata in the second round ... Only with whom will have to play the first match, with Ishikawa or Ito .....

Yes, but today is more important. Hayata will get the WTTTC team spot if she won Hirano today. If she lost today, there is no guarantee she can get to WTTTC even if she won champion tomorrow.

zeio
12-21-2019, 06:31 AM
Hirano will get selected for the WTTTC since she's necessary for Tokyo 2020. Hayata will have to win today, not for 2020 but for WTTC 2021. She must get herself as close to the top 10 as possible.

Janard
12-21-2019, 06:45 AM
Lol what's the deal with Jin Takuya.

Is he more of a domestic player? I've only really seen him represent Japan in some team events this year.

Also, Morizono has no coach? Kudos to him for making it this far on his own.

Jacky Kwok
12-21-2019, 07:27 AM
Morizono was down 0:3 and won back 4:3!

Jacky Kwok
12-21-2019, 07:28 AM
Morizono did it again. He was also the day 1 winner of the last Japan Top 12 which gained him a single spot for WTTC 2019.

Janard
12-21-2019, 08:08 AM
Pretty impressed by Hirano's performance thus far.

Edit: Then she became her old self after Hayata's timeout in game 5 :confused:

Wow, very calm and collected in game 6. Ishikawa-senpai better watch out. Someone wants to enact revenge.

Sali
12-21-2019, 10:10 AM
Morizono did it again. He was also the day 1 winner of the last Japan Top 12 which gained him a single spot for WTTC 2019.
This is no surprise for me. Morizono is very good and very underestimated player. And also best doubles player in Japan.
I am thinking now has he ever paired with mima Ito?

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-21-2019, 10:13 AM
Q: are there doubles in WTTC2020 ?

A: NO
https://www.ittf.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/2020_WTTC_Competition_Details.pdf

Each team selects 5 players but there is no guarantee all 5 players will play even though every team is guaranteed to play at least 6 matches. It depends on the coaches' mood. I don't wish anything like it, but there is a possibility that Morizono will be sent in Busan just to pickup balls for his comrades.

pongfugrasshopper
12-21-2019, 11:09 AM
Q: are there doubles in WTTC2020 ?

A: NO
https://www.ittf.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/2020_WTTC_Competition_Details.pdf

Each team selects 5 players but there is no guarantee all 5 players will play even though every team is guaranteed to play at least 6 matches. It depends on the coaches' mood. I don't wish anything like it, but there is a possibility that Morizono will be sent in Busan just to pickup balls for his comrades.
I prefer the Olympic format for a *team* tournament. Doubles players literally have to work as a team.

zeio
12-21-2019, 12:25 PM
12/22
10:00 Harimoto vs Jin
11:00 Niwa vs Morizono
12:00 Ito vs Hayata
13:00 Ishikawa vs Hirano
14:00 Men's final
16:00 Women's final

NextLevel
12-21-2019, 01:20 PM
Men’s quarter final results:
Masataka Morisono 4:1 Mizuki Oikawa
Maharu Yoshimura 4:3 Shunsuke Togami
Kazuhiro Yoshimura 4:3 Yukiya Uda
Takuya Jin 4:3 Yuto Kizukuri

Old guard fend off new generation.

NextLevel
12-21-2019, 01:26 PM
This is no surprise for me. Morizono is very good and very underestimated player. And also best doubles player in Japan.
I am thinking now has he ever paired with mima Ito?

Lol. They are reigning mixed doubles champs for Japan I believe. But Morizono had no.chance for singles/teams.

NextLevel
12-21-2019, 01:28 PM
Pretty impressed by Hirano's performance thus far.

Edit: Then she became her old self after Hayata's timeout in game 5 :confused:

Wow, very calm and collected in game 6. Ishikawa-senpai better watch out. Someone wants to enact revenge.

SO Hirano won?

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-21-2019, 01:38 PM
yes Hirano won 4-2

https://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/tabletennis/2019/wttc2020_final_selection/result/ws_final.html

Sali
12-21-2019, 01:43 PM
Lol. They are reigning mixed doubles champs for Japan I believe. But Morizono had no.chance for singles/teams.
I know it is hard to imagine but if Mizutani retires taking morizono gives good chance for XD.

driversbeat
12-21-2019, 02:06 PM
I think Yoshimura/Ishikawa gets the spot if Mizutani/Ito can't go

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-21-2019, 02:24 PM
there is a possibility for Hirano / Morizono as well

Jacky Kwok
12-21-2019, 02:30 PM
Or Niwa/Ito. They tried this combination for 2 opens before trying Mizutani/Ito.

But anyway I guess JNT will give their best bet for all events on Harimoto and Ito.

Vlad Celler
12-21-2019, 03:11 PM
Germany Open - deadline December 29 ... We will see who is declared in the WD and XD .....

zeio
12-21-2019, 05:09 PM
TV Tokyo's live broadcast of WTGF made top 3.

https://i.imgur.com/Tq5UT7S.png

Jacky Kwok
12-22-2019, 01:03 AM
Any YouTube live for today’s Japan Top 12?

Janard
12-22-2019, 03:25 AM
Any YouTube live for today’s Japan Top 12?

Not on TV Tokyo but at least they provide twitter updates (https://twitter.com/tvtokyo_tt).

Tomokazu Harimoto 4-0 Jin Takuya
Koki Niwa 4-2 Morizono Masataka

Jacky Kwok
12-22-2019, 03:44 AM
So sad, cannot watch.

Found this live score:
https://sports.yahoo.co.jp/contents/6339

Jacky Kwok
12-22-2019, 03:54 AM
Mima Ito 4:2 Hina Hayata

Jacky Kwok
12-22-2019, 04:56 AM
Miu Hirano 4:2 Kasumi Ishikawa

zeio
12-22-2019, 04:59 AM
https://i.imgur.com/pTW84bJ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/GkR8bxp.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/H64CeTk.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/5KW9tBJ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ZNG8MfB.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/5quxtxU.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/euUMm8a.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/aKPYupg.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ofCprfw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/EMBsHjI.jpg

Vlad Celler
12-22-2019, 04:59 AM
Congratulations to Miu Hirano! She paid for recent losses ...

It is unfortunate that the game for third place is not provided ....Hayata - Ishikawa ...

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-22-2019, 05:14 AM
Miu Hirano wins this encounter, but it doesn't mean much for the Olympics singles spot...

Vlad Celler
12-22-2019, 05:27 AM
Miu Hirano wins this encounter, but it doesn't mean much for the Olympics singles spot...

Unfortunately...
But (in my opinion) - this is a big problem for the Japanese team ....If Miu Hirano is able to recover at least partially to the level of 2017 over the next half year, this will be all the more obvious ....
(It is advisable for JNT management to change something in the selection system, while there is still time ....)

Tempest/Comet
12-22-2019, 05:57 AM
Unfortunately...(It is advisable for JNT management to change something in the selection system, while there is still time ....)
Yes, absolutely ! But wonder what justification JNT can manufacture to change the rules toward the very end ?
Maybe Ito should be removed because she is the shortest (152cm) and put into Mosquito division of Wrestling instead, or block Hirano for mental health reasons because she cries all the time. All these must be done in Top Secret or Mayasaki will be lynched in a public hanging. ;-p

Jacky Kwok
12-22-2019, 06:03 AM
@zeio, where can you watch it?

https://i.imgur.com/pTW84bJ.jpg

Vlad Celler
12-22-2019, 06:07 AM
Yes, absolutely ! But wonder what justification JNT can manufacture to change the rules toward the very end ?
Maybe Ito should be removed because she is the shortest (152cm) and put into Mosquito division of Wrestling instead, or block Hirano for mental health reasons because she cries all the time. All these must be done in Top Secret or Mayasaki will be lynched in a public hanging. ;-p

:o:o:o:o:o

driversbeat
12-22-2019, 06:32 AM
Japan top 12 is so easy for the top players. They should imitate China and do it in the format of Marvellous 12.

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-22-2019, 06:43 AM
Harimoto - Niwa (final) 4-0

zeio
12-22-2019, 06:52 AM
@zeio, where can you watch it?

In Japan.

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-22-2019, 07:22 AM
which channel

Janard
12-22-2019, 07:26 AM
which channel

Fuji TV. Hirano 1 - 1 Ito. Game 3 Ito leads 5-0.

Wow at Hirano saving all those shots against Ito.

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-22-2019, 07:42 AM
Thanks watching it

Vlad Celler
12-22-2019, 07:48 AM
I do not have the opportunity to see the game, unfortunately .. But, judging by the score of already played games, Miu Hirano is fighting ....She's well done ... Perhaps this is a revival after a protracted recession?

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-22-2019, 07:53 AM
4th game was the most important one . 17-15 for Ito

Vlad Celler
12-22-2019, 07:56 AM
A request to those who had the opportunity to watch games ....
Can you give a brief assessment of the games of Hayata - Hirano and Hayata - Ito?

zeio
12-22-2019, 08:00 AM
Zhang Cheng is to blame for the defeat here. Matsuzaki called TO in G2 when Ito trailed at 6:7. That was a good call as Ito needed that game. Hirano then had match point at 10:8. Zhang Cheng should've called TO at 10:9. He didn't and Ito had all the momentum after that. It was a lost cause to call TO in G4 after Hirano trailed 1-2 in games.

I've seen this too many times, where the coaches are afraid to use the TO early.

Janard
12-22-2019, 08:09 AM
After two days of intense matches, the three confirmed names for WTTTC2020 are Ito, Ishikawa and Hirano. Lol, aren't these the people we already know would be going? The winner of the National Championships would likely be Ito and Hirano is likely the third Olympics player so... what next? The final two slots would be chosen by?

Vlad Celler
12-22-2019, 08:14 AM
By the way, today the information on the national championship was updated on the JTTA portal ....
Perhaps I was inattentive ...I saw a couple of Ito-Hayata, Ito-Morizono ....
Ishikawa-Maharu, Harimoto-Hayata - did not see ....

Tempest/Comet
12-22-2019, 08:37 AM
By the way, today the information on the national championship was updated on the JTTA portal ....
Perhaps I was inattentive ...I saw a couple of Ito-Hayata, Ito-Morizono ....
Ishikawa-Maharu, Harimoto-Hayata - did not see ....
Ito/Hayata, Ito/Morizono are the defending WD & XD champions from the last 2 years.

Vlad Celler
12-22-2019, 09:12 AM
Thank you, I am in the know ....:o
I was interested to know - Ishikawa-Maharu, Hayat-Harimoto couples ... However, maybe I just did not see ....
(by the way, according to Germany Open it will be seen who is declared ...)

apacible
12-22-2019, 11:10 AM
Found video links to Day 2 of the Top 12. I don't know how long these will last since they may be deleted due to copyright concerns so better to watch as soon as possible!

Women's SF1 Ito vs Hayata https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O_GVOwdzNw

Women's SF 2 Hirano vs Ishikawa https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFoKi984LGY

Men's SF 1 Harimoto vs Jin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RPhAxd39QE

Men's SF 2 Niwa vs Morizono https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44H18IvPtZA

Women's Singles Final https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VixGStoJNE

Men's Singles Final https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf2K2B7mREQ

Vlad Celler
12-22-2019, 12:14 PM
Found video links to Day 2 of the Top 12. I don't know how long these will last since they may be deleted due to copyright concerns so better to watch as soon as possible!

Thank you very much !

zeio
12-22-2019, 01:14 PM
And so, Hayata will finish the year with the impressive and consistent record of taking at least 2 games against anyone. Yup, anyone.

Vlad Celler
12-22-2019, 01:31 PM
I am happy for Hirano and Hayata ... The game of both impressed me ... It is a pity that there is no recording of the game of Hirano-Hayatа ...
(and it’s a pity that the tournament regulations do not provide for a third place draw) ..

(although on the video of the final game for some time some kind of scoreboard was visible where places on the Top-12 were shown:
1 - Ito
2 - Hirano
3 - Hayata
(no numer ? ) - Ishikawa

(50.20 - 51.00 )

zeio
12-22-2019, 01:50 PM
I actually fell asleep during this match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy_VXO2yMOU

Vlad Celler
12-22-2019, 02:38 PM

:o
(Agreed...:()

(but many comments ....)

Janard
12-22-2019, 03:08 PM

But... that's the match which Hirano was playing more like her idol's present form. Previously, she was still mimicking the pre-2015 LSW who is only about being 速い.

pingpongpaddy
12-22-2019, 03:28 PM

fantastic , thanks

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-22-2019, 03:55 PM
I'm sorry for Hayata but she failed again at proving herself. She got beaten by Ito and Ishikawa.

Vlad Celler
12-22-2019, 04:35 PM
I'm sorry for Hayata but she failed again at proving herself. She got beaten by Ito and Ishikawa.

More precisely, Hirano and Ito ... Well, Ito is out of competition ....

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-22-2019, 05:03 PM
Oops sorry.
Mima is too strong for her teammates. She is in a perfect form to make it 3 in a row next month in the national champs.

Vlad Celler
12-22-2019, 05:18 PM
Oops sorry.
Mima is too strong for her teammates. She is in a perfect form to make it 3 in a row next month in the national champs.

I agree, she stands out noticeably ...
As for Hina Hayata in the Top 12 ...She played at her level ..It is a pity that there was no meeting with Ishikawa ....
In 2020, the fate of Hina Hayata is literally in her hands ....
She has certain problems.They were mentioned here earlier ....So far, in my opinion, she confidently holds the third or fourth place in the JNT .....(although formally, according to the ITTF rating, she is the sixth in Japan at the moment ...)

zeio
12-22-2019, 05:39 PM
Final episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvCSPjI5KNo

zeio
12-23-2019, 10:58 AM
https://www.excite.co.jp/news/article/SportsHouchi_20191222_OHT1T50169/

(30)=木下グループ=が「2週間の安静とリハビリが必要」と診断されたことを明かした。

水谷は欠場したW杯団体戦中の11月6日にも同様の診断を受けていた。それでも、12月中旬のワールドツアー・グランドファイナルまで続いた東京五輪代表選考レースを戦ってきただけに、倉嶋監督も「長い期間、腰の痛みを抱えながらプレーしていた。五輪争いの中で自分のベストなパフォーマンスができない中で試合に行って負けて、相当いろんなストレスもあったと思う」と気遣った。

グランドファイナル後、重圧から解放されたこともあり、腰も順調に回復。今大会も「仙台の人たちに卓球を見てもらいたい」とギリギリまで出場に向けて調整したが、完治に至らなかったため、19日に欠場を決めた。指揮官も「まずはしっかり治してほしい。それが彼のやるべきことだと思う」と語った。

また、来年1月6日に発表される団体戦代表の3人目についても言及。以前は「白紙」と語っていたが、「ある程度、心の中では整理はしている。1月6日までしっかり考えたい」と心境を語った。

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2019/12/23/kiji/20191223s00026000065000c.html

伊藤が年内最後の試合を優勝で締めくくった。来年に控える東京五輪金メダルに向け「無敗の女になりたい」と観衆を前に意気込みを語った。“みうみま”対決となった決勝は1ゲームを先取されたが「2ゲーム目からはゾーンに入れた」と4ゲーム連取で快勝した=写真。しばしの休養を経て、来年1月の全日本選手権から始動予定。「来年からも実力を上げて負けない選手になりたい」と先を見据えていた。

Sali
12-23-2019, 11:23 AM
just watched the final between ito and Hirano and I am quite impressed with Hirano play. She had good tactics and was much better player that day. Of course she made some easy mistakes especially in first two sets were Ito was just the passenger.
Anyway after loosing ticket for singles in tokyo she showed determination to make the team. Good for her.

Vlad Celler
12-23-2019, 11:44 AM
Perhaps now, when there is no pressure of the Olympic choice, she will be able to recover faster?

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-23-2019, 01:06 PM
she needs to work on her technique more

Brs
12-23-2019, 03:11 PM
If Hirano was the much better player that day why did she lose?

Vlad Celler
12-23-2019, 03:58 PM
Her game in this tournament was better than her relatively recent game ....In any case, she was able to recoup for recent defeats from Hina Hayata and Ishikawa ....

Jacky Kwok
12-23-2019, 04:51 PM
But if Hirano can only play well when without pressure, then that’s a big problem.

Vlad Celler
12-23-2019, 05:18 PM
But if Hirano can only play well when without pressure, then that’s a big problem.

:o:o:o

Vlad Celler
12-23-2019, 05:24 PM
It is a pity that, according to the rules of the Top 12, the second round is a knockout, not a round robin ....
Now it remains to wait for the tournament - All of Japan ... Three weeks ....

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-23-2019, 05:30 PM
there are some T-League matches before the end of the year. Maybe Hayata / Hirano / Ishikawa will be on duty ?

Vlad Celler
12-23-2019, 05:47 PM
Maybe....
Regarding the tournament All Japan ..
Ito and Ishikawa in one semifinal ...
Hirano, Sato, Kato and Hayata are in another .....
Let's see who will be the four players who reach the semifinals .....:o

zeio
12-23-2019, 05:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkM6hqW-GVs

Vlad Celler
12-23-2019, 06:32 PM
Thank,Zeio !

Sali
12-23-2019, 07:07 PM
If Hirano was the much better player that day why did she lose?
Because of inconsistency. She had very good tactics playing heavy backspin and waiting for a long ball to attack mostly down the line. Look how many times she was the first to attack, especially in first two games.

Vlad Celler
12-23-2019, 07:29 PM
2 Olympic single players
1 Olympic team player

Top 12 completed ...
She played with the finalists, in my opinion, not bad .... She took two games from each .....Hina Hayata did not qualify for the second round, but convincingly beat Sato ....

Your opinion, who will Miyazaki choose at WTTC? Sato or Hayata?

Jacky Kwok
12-23-2019, 08:00 PM
Your opinion, who will Miyazaki choose at WTTC? Sato or Hayata?

Why not both? Lol

Hirano was the Japan Top 12 day 1 winner, and she will probably be chosen as the Olympic team player.

All Japan Championship (Empress Cup) women single champion will probably be Ito. If not, probably still be among Hirano and Ishikawa.

So there will probably be 2 open spots. I guess the selection will be among Sato, Kato, and Hayata.

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-24-2019, 01:44 AM
Why not both? Lol

Hirano was the Japan Top 12 day 1 winner, and she will probably be chosen as the Olympic team player.

All Japan Championship (Empress Cup) women single champion will probably be Ito. If not, probably still be among Hirano and Ishikawa.

So there will probably be 2 open spots. I guess the selection will be among Sato, Kato, and Hayata.

I think both Kihara and especially Nagasaki have a good chance to be chosen for the wild cards. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or both of them and none of the above 3.
If there are 2 wild cards i think the logical (the JTTA logic) choice is Sato + Nagasaki

zeio
12-25-2019, 09:13 AM
Last day of Japan Top 12 made top 10 in TV rating.

https://i.imgur.com/JJn3OAj.png

igorponger
12-25-2019, 03:56 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Babel#Confusion_of_tongues
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Babel#Linguistics

Human races had dropped speaking the same language long long ago, sorry.

Shifu
12-25-2019, 10:34 PM
Last day of Japan Top 12 made top 10 in TV rating.

https://i.imgur.com/JJn3OAj.png

Is this good or bad? How were the recent years?

zeio
12-26-2019, 05:37 AM
The number shown is the real-time average household viewership for the Kanto region(dark green dot in the map below). 1% is equal to 185,670 households. 7.7% is 1,429,659 households.

The rating for the last day of the 23rd edition back in March this year was 7.9%. This number is pretty decent for a domestic event. For comparison, the QF match b/w Niwa and LJK and R3 match b/w Ito and SYS at the WTTC 2019 got 7.3% and 7.2%, respectively.

https://www.videor.co.jp/service/images/c7edf4dcbba95f9b5acd5600061d91a8.png

Vlad Celler
12-26-2019, 05:59 AM

merry christmas !

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-26-2019, 06:50 AM
"Bijin effect"

Vlad Celler
12-28-2019, 04:36 AM
Germany Open ... JNT made its move ....(although WD and XD are not yet specified ...)
We are waiting for what CNT will say .....

Jacky Kwok
12-28-2019, 11:32 AM
Final entries for singles: December 29, 2019
Final entries for doubles: January 5, 2020

Vlad Celler
12-28-2019, 11:56 AM
Oh,yes....China usually will publish the composition of the team on the last day .... Tomorrow we will see ....

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-28-2019, 12:01 PM
in a T-League match today, Hayata beat Yang Haeun 3-2.

of note, Joo SeeHyouk beated Morizono 3-1

Vlad Celler
12-28-2019, 04:51 PM
Germany Open ... JNT made its move ....(although WD and XD are not yet specified ...)
We are waiting for what CNT will say .....

China, on the eve of Tokyo 2020, is not joking .....Almost the entire top WS is announced ... 14 people .....Against 11 Japanese women ....

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-29-2019, 02:24 PM
some T League matches this WE.

ISHIKAWA was on duty today and beated LEE Hoching 3-0
KIHARA won 1-0 the golden set-match against KATO to give the team victory.

and bijin HAMAMOTO lost 0-3 to Suwethanisi.

In Men's HARIMOTO lost to CHO Daesong. GIONIS played and won his 1st match for TT Saitama against CCY for a Veteran's match.

There is more T-League action tomorrow

mrk
12-29-2019, 03:24 PM
Even if it's "only" T League...Harimoto still cannot handle young players of similar age, insane.

Sali
12-29-2019, 05:28 PM
some T League matches this WE.

ISHIKAWA was on duty today and beated LEE Hoching 3-0
KIHARA won 1-0 the golden set-match against KATO to give the team victory.

and bijin HAMAMOTO lost 0-3 to Suwethanisi.

In Men's HARIMOTO lost to CHO Daesong. GIONIS played and won his 1st match for TT Saitama against CCY for a Veteran's match.

There is more T-League action tomorrow
Is there any way to watch this games? YT?

Vlad Celler
12-30-2019, 04:36 AM
Ishikawa lost to Hina Hayata 2: 3

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-30-2019, 07:14 AM
please retire SENPAI

Tempest/Comet
12-30-2019, 10:37 AM
Ishikawa lost to Hina Hayata 2: 3
2 of the 3 Hayata wins were reversals at game point. Nissay took the last tournament of 2019 with a 4:0 win over Kinoshita, and overtook Ishikawa’s team with 8 season win vs her 7.

Vlad Celler
12-30-2019, 11:56 AM
2 of the 3 Hayata wins were reversals at game point. Nissay took the last tournament of 2019 with a 4:0 win over Kinoshita, and overtook Ishikawa’s team with 8 season win vs her 7.

https://rallys.online/topic/tleague/191230kinoshita-nissei/?fbclid=IwAR37_49XRRPnucXDjrsHNDYHHPAcZXXL-tss8aPmgbvg-18k8_C1J-J-ByU

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-30-2019, 01:46 PM
Not women’s but in TLeague
Gionis beated Niwa 3-0 and Harimoto 1-0 (golden set) today !!!!!
He also beated Chuang Chih Yuan yesterday !

NextLevel
12-30-2019, 06:13 PM
Not women’s but in TLeague
Gionis beated Niwa 3-0 and Harimoto 1-0 (golden set) today !!!!!
He also beated Chuang Chih Yuan yesterday !

Hopefully there is video. He has one of the best forehands in the world. Very hard to cope with if you aren't strong vs chop and topspin.

Takkyu_wa_inochi
12-31-2019, 04:03 AM
i couldn't find a video on Youtube yet but you can see Gionis in the short highlights video
https://tleague.jp/match/20191230m01

NextLevel
12-31-2019, 08:21 AM
Surprised that Matsudaira beat Hou 3-0. Funny how TT works sometimes.

zeio
01-05-2020, 12:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElhAbo5KOGA

apacible
01-05-2020, 04:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElhAbo5KOGA

Funny how JTTA wanted to make things exciting and suspenseful with a whole press conference revealing the 3rd Olympic member of the Japanese Men's and Women's team on Jan. 6, 12:55pm Japan Time. It ended up being anticlimactic because the deadline for doubles entries for the German Open is Jan. 5, so JTTA was forced to reveal its intended doubles lineups ahead of time. It's easy to guess the Japan's Olympic team lineup based on who JTTA sent to the German Open. (I may be wrong, but this is my theory based on the German Open doubles pairings)

For the Men's team, the 3rd spot will likely go to Mizutani.

Ito/Mizutani XD Pair is declared for the German Open
There's no M. Yoshimura/Ishikawa XD Pair declared for the German Open and Yoshimura was the only realistic choice for the 3rd player aside from Mizutani. If M. Yoshimura was selected as the 3rd member over Mizutani, JTTA would likely have sent the Yoshimura/Ishikawa Pair to the German Open to gain ranking points for seeding, but I'm assuming they didn't do that because JTTA knows it's going to send Ito/Mizutani to play XD in the Olympics and means that Miztuani HAS to be part of the Men's team.
Niwa/Harimoto is declared as a MD pair. If M. Yoshimura were selected, they would have sent Niwa/M. Yoshimura instead. JTTA still seems to believe the two-lefty pair for Niwa and Mizutani will never work in doubles, so Harimoto, being the only righty on the team, is being sent to practice doubles for the team event.

For the Women's team, the 3rd spot will likely go to Hirano.

Ishikawa/Hirano WD pair is declared for the German Open to practice doubles. With Ito likely playing two singles in the team event.
No Hayata/Ito or Hayata/Ishikawa WD pair was declared, so it's unlikely Hayata is the 3rd team member.
Hayata/Kato is declared for WD. This likely means either Hayata or Kato is the reserve player. I believe JTTA want Hayata and Kato to practice playing Women's doubles again since neither has participated in that event in many months. In case either Ito, Hirano or Ishikawa gets injured, at least Hayata and Kato will have some experience playing WD and can be a suitable replacement. Hayata might have the slight edge over Kato for the reserve spot given she can also play XD with Harimoto, and Hayata/Harimoto was also declared for the German Open.

Jacky Kwok
01-05-2020, 04:36 PM
100% agree.

Actually for men’s team, they need to consider 2 points:
(1) If they want Harimoto to play 2 single, then select a player who can play double with Niwa which will be Maharu Yoshimura.
(2) But more importantly, they want to be as high seed as possible which will increase their chance of getting a medal. In this case, they need to select Mizutani because the other players’ ranking are much much lower.

Janard
01-05-2020, 04:45 PM
Their play here (if Mizutani and Hirano are indeed the third players) is clearly to secure a XD gold to raise Ito's morale so that her chances of winning WS are higher. My read is that they are sidelining the women's and men's team events for this Olympics (more of the former since the latter has always been less competitive). Harimoto, well.

Vlad Celler
01-05-2020, 05:12 PM
Interesting .. Has anyone considered what is the balance of wins / losses in the T-League for Ishikawa-Hayata?

If I understand correctly, the composition of the team at WTTTC has not yet been determined?
WD matters to WTTTC ...
Ishikawa - Hirano - guaranteed defeat from China (and possibly not only China ...)

Jacky Kwok
01-05-2020, 05:37 PM
WD doesn’t matter to WTTTC. WTTTC format is 5 singles.

A vs X
B vs Y
C vs Z
A vs Y
B vs X

Vlad Celler
01-05-2020, 05:46 PM
Thank...
Well then ...In a week, All of Japan ...There Hayata in one half with Kato, Sato, Hirano ....Hayat’s fate is literally in her hands ...In any case, Kato and Hayata serious tournaments will be on an equal footing, qualify...And there - how it goes ... Skill plus a bit of luck ....

zeio
01-05-2020, 06:35 PM
Heck, 2 years after the race began with WTTC 2018, the reserve player turns out to be the most fun to predict. Who's the poor soul gonna be?

https://i.imgur.com/eYHErbH.png
https://i.imgur.com/Wbh7jHT.png

zeio
01-06-2020, 04:03 AM
https://i.imgur.com/EbMoZkZh.png
https://i.imgur.com/H3VI8ffh.png
https://i.imgur.com/Xu6p8Jch.png
https://i.imgur.com/ZhfAhRTh.png
https://i.imgur.com/CGuMuVah.png
https://i.imgur.com/HZJcMnBh.png
https://i.imgur.com/M7BqjOhh.png
https://i.imgur.com/GEVJi5Jh.png

https://i.imgur.com/xepd8xKh.png
https://i.imgur.com/XUFItkRh.png

Jacky Kwok
01-06-2020, 04:32 AM
MS: Harimoto, Niwa
WS: Ito, Ishikawa
MT: Harimoto, Niwa, Mizutani
WT: Ito, Ishikawa, Hirano
XD: Mizutani/Ito

Vlad Celler
01-06-2020, 04:40 AM
It was expected .. ... Reserve players?

Takkyu_wa_inochi
01-06-2020, 05:12 AM
Everything as expected
No surprise
Ito Mizutani will be a strong pair

apacible
01-06-2020, 05:27 AM
"4.リザーブ候補選手1 名日本がメダルを獲得するために必要なダブルス及びシングルスでの国際競争力を持ち合わせている者1 名を、強化本部が決定し理事会に報告及びJOC に推薦する。リザーブ選手の発表時期はJOC へのエントリー期限直前とする"

4. Reserve candidate
Japan has international competitiveness in doubles and singles necessary to win medals
One person who has been combined shall be determined by the Headquarters, reported to the Board of Directors and recommended to the JOC.
Reserve players will be announced shortly before the entry deadline for the JOC.

Sorry, I assumed the reserve players would also be announced today, but after reading the Tokyo 2020 Qualification document again, I realized they still have until May 15, the entry deadline, so the reserve player will likely be announced sometime in May.

May 2020 WR rather than Jan. 2020 WR may be used as a factor in selecting the reserve spot, so the next few tournaments will be crucial for the Non-Olympic team members. One must also take into account the expiration of WR points of the early 2019 tournaments and how this will ultimately affect the April 2020 WR for players. For example, Hayata has both the Portugal Open and Oman Open, as part of her Top 8 Results (Top 4 in Fact!), and these will both expire by May 2020, so her ranking for May 2020 will significantly drop unless she performs well in the next few tournaments.

Furthermore, the next few tournaments is an opportunity to prove themselves as suitable doubles partners. If the Hayata/Kato Women's Doubles pair does well, it increases the chance for one of them to be selected as a reserve player.

Let the Race to Tokyo 2020 Reserve Spot begin!

zeio
01-06-2020, 05:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kIUzTzQDRw

Vlad Celler
01-06-2020, 05:56 AM
The impending losses of Hayata and Kato (due to the deduction of old points) are, in general, quite comparable ....
Hayata - (-1100/2-2019),(-1100/3-2019),(-850/5-2019) = (-3050/reserv)
Kato - (-900/3-2019,-850/3-2019),(-680/5-2019) = (-2430/reserv)

Now Kato and Hayata are on an equal footing, that is, the unconditional need to play qualifications in serious tournaments ....
Neither Shibata nor Kihara-Nagasaki-Honoka will be able to rise to the level in the ranking until the middle of the year ....
As for Sato, she has practically no deductions of old bonuses until the middle of the year ....My opinion is that Kato - Hayata is unlikely to catch up to it by the middle of the year (in the ITTF rating) ...

MaLin2.0
01-06-2020, 08:18 AM
Funny how JTTA wanted to make things exciting and suspenseful with a whole press conference revealing the 3rd Olympic member of the Japanese Men's and Women's team on Jan. 6, 12:55pm Japan Time. It ended up being anticlimactic because the deadline for doubles entries for the German Open is Jan. 5, so JTTA was forced to reveal its intended doubles lineups ahead of time. It's easy to guess the Japan's Olympic team lineup based on who JTTA sent to the German Open. (I may be wrong, but this is my theory based on the German Open doubles pairings)

For the Men's team, the 3rd spot will likely go to Mizutani.

Ito/Mizutani XD Pair is declared for the German Open
There's no M. Yoshimura/Ishikawa XD Pair declared for the German Open and Yoshimura was the only realistic choice for the 3rd player aside from Mizutani. If M. Yoshimura was selected as the 3rd member over Mizutani, JTTA would likely have sent the Yoshimura/Ishikawa Pair to the German Open to gain ranking points for seeding, but I'm assuming they didn't do that because JTTA knows it's going to send Ito/Mizutani to play XD in the Olympics and means that Miztuani HAS to be part of the Men's team.
Niwa/Harimoto is declared as a MD pair. If M. Yoshimura were selected, they would have sent Niwa/M. Yoshimura instead. JTTA still seems to believe the two-lefty pair for Niwa and Mizutani will never work in doubles, so Harimoto, being the only righty on the team, is being sent to practice doubles for the team event.

For the Women's team, the 3rd spot will likely go to Hirano.

Ishikawa/Hirano WD pair is declared for the German Open to practice doubles. With Ito likely playing two singles in the team event.
No Hayata/Ito or Hayata/Ishikawa WD pair was declared, so it's unlikely Hayata is the 3rd team member.
Hayata/Kato is declared for WD. This likely means either Hayata or Kato is the reserve player. I believe JTTA want Hayata and Kato to practice playing Women's doubles again since neither has participated in that event in many months. In case either Ito, Hirano or Ishikawa gets injured, at least Hayata and Kato will have some experience playing WD and can be a suitable replacement. Hayata might have the slight edge over Kato for the reserve spot given she can also play XD with Harimoto, and Hayata/Harimoto was also declared for the German Open.

That's Japan's weakness is the doubles pairing for both Men's & Ladies, that's where they can drop games and being team event can be big, mixed they are covered as JM & Mima are fantastic but when you say Harimoto pepping for doubles makes me think might not get to final. Has me concerned.

Singels team matcges might not be as effective due to not have top singles players being in those 2 rubbers

TTetta
01-06-2020, 09:46 AM
Japan has confirmed their Olympics lineup
Singles: Ito, Ishikawa, Harimoto, Niwa
Teams: Hirano, Mizutani
Doubles: Ito/Mizutani
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6-TgVwn...d=xt1gd2nqo2yc
Multi-Quote This Message

MaLin2.0
01-06-2020, 10:51 PM
Japan has confirmed their Olympics lineup
Singles: Ito, Ishikawa, Harimoto, Niwa
Teams: Hirano, Mizutani
Doubles: Ito/Mizutani
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6-TgVwn...d=xt1gd2nqo2yc
Multi-Quote This Message
Happy with the teams and announcements?
Good solid team

jfolsen
01-06-2020, 11:08 PM
Hirano's new trick is to dye her hair blonde.
It's a mistake. Everyone knows, just like cars, red ones go faster. :)

Vlad Celler
01-07-2020, 05:11 AM
Happy with the teams and announcements?
Good solid team

Personally, I am not very satisfied ....:o
The probability of a team victory over the women's national team of China in this composition is a maximum of one third .....:(

MaLin2.0
01-07-2020, 07:51 AM
Personally, I am not very satisfied ....:o
The probability of a team victory over the women's national team of China in this composition is a maximum of one third .....:(

CNT have the strongest team no doubt, Men's team will take top 3 players in the world and Ladie's team will take 3 of the top 4, big odds for any team to overcome. Silver medal for any team is an achievement.

Difference for team Japan compared to 2016 is they have home ground and better chances at Gold, last Olympics was evident CNT would clean out.
Harimoto I rate higher than Mizutani in 2016 and he won a bronze
Mima is better than Kasumi & Fukuhara in 2016
JNT look much improved and actual threat. More so singles and Mixed.

Vlad Celler
01-07-2020, 08:26 AM
I agree with your assessment .....