Testing out Dian Chi booster (from china)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2011
Hey all! I'm currently on vacation in Beijing and felt like giving the Dian Chi booster a try. According to the chinese websites, this is the booster the pro's use (probably just marketing lol). I bought the bottle of booster and some Hurricane 3 Provincial (the one with the six edges and sticker) to try out. For comparison, I also took a piece of my Tenergy 05 off of my paddle to boost.

Here are the steps I followed (and what the sales guy told me to do):

1) Preglue the sponge with water based glue. I used Dianchi's water glue, which I'm sure is very similar to butterfly's. Do this 3 times for the Hurricane 3 Provincial, and 2 times for the Tenergy 05. Dry with hair dryer after each layer before applying next layer, and keep each layer thin.

2) Apply the booster to the sponge after glue is thoroughly dry. 4 times for the Hurricane and 3 times for the tenergy (The booster makes the sponge softer so it may get too soft on the tenergy if you do 4 times). Make sure you let the booster dry after applying each layer and make sure its thin. First layer should dry in 3-5 minutes, 2nd will take 10-15mins, 3rd will take 60mins+ and last layer just leave on.

3) let it sit for 5-6 days.

4) Apply water glue to the paddle only then put the sponge on.

Here are some pictures after each day (I'll update as the days go by and I have time).

Here's the Booster Bottle:
IMG_0190.jpg

Here are the rubbers after 24 hours: (left one is Hurricane 3, Right is Tenergy 05)
IMG_0182.jpg

Here they are after 48 hours: (again left is Hurricane 3 and right is Tenergy 05)
IMG_0189.jpg

I'll upload more photos if the rubber changes at all, and after the 6 days I'll go and play with it and tell you how it plays :)
Stay tuned... (no pun intended)

Update:

So day 3-6 the Rubber basically stayed the same shape. I went ahead and put it on the paddle. I haven't had a chance yet to play with it since its a big holiday here and most clubs are closed. Next week they will open again and I will go play again. After that I'll let you know how it plays.

Update:

Went out to play with the new rubber yesterday. This booster really adds a nice effect to the rubber. Normally Hurricane 3 is very hard and has good spin, but after using the booster the rubber softened up and the speed and spin increased greatly. I think it is a lot like the speed glue effect except you don't have to reglue 2 hours before you play. Anyone looking for the same type of feeling, I would highly recommend.

On a personal note, I'm used to using Tenergy 05 on my forehand so the change to hurricane 3 was very very different. I am going to try out skyline 3 blue sponge next since its a softer rubber to begin with and is lighter then hurricane.

Last edited:
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Yeah, I should think so. Since the booster is Chinese, I am sure the development is based on Chinese rubbers. But, it would be interesting to find out how it goes with tenergy. Thanx Yang fan, these are very useful and I look forward to your updates (especially the application part) :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
The chinese rubbers curl more because they have a harder topsheet that takes some time to stretch to match the sponge.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2011
Today is day 3 and the hurricane has curled even more. I bought the booster from taobao . com. Right now is Chinese new year so I'm busy with family, but after I'll post more pictures and give the rubber a try. I didn't put booster on the top sheet because it was not part of the instructions and I don't think it would help much.

Oh and 祝你们春节快乐!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I remember the speed glue days and yes all rubbers pretty much curl like that when you apply a lot of speed glue or booster. I use the bio booster from dandoysports and the effect lasts about 90 days. The thing is I spend 48 hours boosting it 7 the first time 5 and then 3-5 depending on the curl. Then I leave it out for a minimum of 7 days. Even Tenergy domes like crazy. The Chinese rubbers will curl a lot because of the top sheets. Tensor rubbers also. Tenergy just domes a lot from my experience. I have to boost some rubbers this week for a member so I'll post some pics as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2011
how much does the effect last?1month or less?

It depends on how much you play. If you play 5+ times a week, it will probably last around 20 days. If u play less, then 1 month. However, if you want to redo the effect, its not so involved. You just need to take the rubber off, apply another layer of oil (just 1 this time) wait for it to dry then reglue to paddle.

The whole bottle of oil should last about a year imo.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
It depends on how much you play. If you play 5+ times a week, it will probably last around 20 days. If u play less, then 1 month. However, if you want to redo the effect, its not so involved. You just need to take the rubber off, apply another layer of oil (just 1 this time) wait for it to dry then reglue to paddle.

The whole bottle of oil should last about a year imo.

thanx for the tip ! and two more questions , is it dian chi > bio booster or the other way around? does dian chi make the sponge softer?