First rubber change Help please!

This user has no status.
I play with the Tibhar SPW and have been using rising dragon on both sides for 7 months and I like the rising dragon on my FH and the way it blocks on the back hand. My only issue is that on my back hand I hit long a lot which may be me. If anyone knows a better BH that is less forgiving I’m all ears. I play med to close to the table and value control over speed.

Second and and most importantly what glue is better for me. I don’t plan on swapping around rubbers so it won’t come off again unless I mess up. Plus what is the right tools to use? Knife or scissors? Do you need a press? I’m sorry if this is posted already but I could find it and you show me the where I’ll move there.

Sorry just a little nervous about this process and I live in a town that only knows the sport of

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Don't panic!
I use Elmer's glue. It comes in small bottles for about $2.50.
I didn't like water based glues. They work but will get old quickly and cost too much.
Get a good pair of scissors. I have tried an exacto-knife. Both work but I feel scissors are more comfortable and easier to use.
Spread the glue on thinly and evenly on both the rubber and the blade. Let them dry. Do not apply when wet the first time. The rubber can change shrink if the rubber is applied while the glue is wet. Then apply the rubber to the blade. Press hard to make sure the rubber is attached smoothly to the blade then cut.
It really isn't that hard.

Don't panic!
I use Elmer's glue. It comes in small bottles for about $2.50.
I didn't like water based glues. They work but will get old quickly and cost too much.
Get a good pair of scissors. I have tried an exacto-knife. Both work but I feel scissors are more comfortable and easier to use.
Spread the glue on thinly and evenly on both the rubber and the blade. Let them dry. Do not apply when wet the first time. The rubber can change shrink if the rubber is applied while the glue is wet. Then apply the rubber to the blade. Press hard to make sure the rubber is attached smoothly to the blade then cut.
It really isn't that hard.

Can you please share a link to exactly which Elmer's Glue you are speaking?
There are so many types of Elmer and 99% are not appropriate for the job.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I strongly recommend using scissors instead of a knife, however sharp that knife may be. Knife doesn't offer any advantage at all in my experience and it requires a cutting board of some sort and half the time it tears through the sponge instead of cutting it. The smaller the scissors the better, I use these curved ones, perfect for the job, especially when cutting closer to the handle:
cache.php

You don't need a press, but you need a roller. Anything cylindrical like a can of deodorant spray. Here's a video of Xu Xin gluing his rubbers using a roller and scissors.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Use Elmer's rubber cement, not the white stuff used for paper. You can buy it in the arts and crafts section of many stores.
I use a an empty :) win bottle as a roller.
I prefer bigger scissors than shown above. Find good scissors at the arts and crafts section of a store.

Use Elmer's rubber cement, not the white stuff used for paper. You can buy it in the arts and crafts section of many stores.
I use a an empty :) win bottle as a roller.
I prefer bigger scissors than shown above. Find good scissors at the arts and crafts section of a store.

Ah, yes, its another story.
Elmer's Rubber Cement should not be messed with the many types of Elmer's Glues, none of which are suitable for TT glue-job.

This user has no status.
You can easily create a press with 2 pieces of thick glass. I found two of them in my storage, they are 1cm thick (~3/8 inches). Thery are about 20x25cm, but smaller around 20x20cm ~ 8x8inches would be better. Also found four of these black clamps in my tools, which are really cheap. Plus you can use the glass as a cutting board to cut the rubber with a (really REALLY sharp) knife.

Some $$$ saved :)

glass press.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mlee77
This user has no status.
I do mine with a roller and a x-acto knife. Gewo glue works very well for me.

Using scissors gives me a pretty jagged result. Key to cutting with a scalpel is to apply plenty pressure while working your whole body around the bat, without accidentally angling the knife under the bat (causes an uneven edge) or cutting into the wood, or straying off the curve.

I observed the friendly man in the Paris TT11 store using a round, rotating surface to get a good, smooth cut.

d4bc0c97867079d2ea5e7e91186155f1.jpg

6319c2f45be9f7d72e451ab9b9ce1ac9.jpg

d44fd5143ca7cc2dcfe3e784859ca06a.jpg

4986095ed8e42895f5b226f57bc89e12.jpg

Obviously a lot of people don’t give a crap about a good looking result. Like Waldner. (Image borrowed from this other TTD thread: https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...-s-Equipment-2015-Pictures-(Compared-to-2005) )

2c929e557d01be98fa7b67830cac8a0b.jpg

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I use $0.50 children's scissors just fine.

A few tips to make a better cut...

- Lick the rubber side where you are starting a cut... it will help the scissors glide and make a better cut
- Try to open the scissors wide and use the deep part inside... more leverage there
- Do not try to make long cut... use series of smaller cuts. You get better leverage and control... and continuous rhythm.
- Use the side of blade as a guide to cut
- Don't be in a hurry, but don't try to go too slowly deliberately, use a natural pace.
- Use 12mm side tape... that stuff covers up each sponge and almost all of the pips/base sheet. It will make your job look much better.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Use waterbased glue. Better to wait too long for it to dry. Can not wait to long in my opinion.

You can roll the rubber on the blade using the forearm and the paper that comes with rubber so your arm glides.

Remember to attack the bortom first. Do not have the handle on the table, the blade could break.

Put remove both rubbers if possible. Easier to cut the rubber then.

Remove residue from the blade.

Use glue on both rubber and blade.

Post a picture when it is Done.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I do mine with a roller and a x-acto knife. Gewo glue works very well for me.

I observed the friendly man in the Paris TT11 store using a round, rotating surface to get a good, smooth cut.

That's interesting. Something similar to a pizza cutter? I think similar cutters are used for cutting fabric. Maybe he used such, as they should be pretty sharp...

Don't overthink or over-plan it. You are not building a rocket here and maybe it sounds scary for the first time (especially if you are gluing Dignics :D :D :D ) but that's a simple job. Use waterbased glues (I use Donic) on both sides (be sure to let them dry nearly completely), then put the rubber starting from the handle. Then I use a roller to press the rubber onto the blade and cut it with a knife with a snap off blade. I use an new part of blade everytime and get a very smooth cut. But scissors will do the job fine too..

71yhl0JA3WL._SL1500_.jpg