Is this service situation a let?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
Read 1 reviews
From what I understand, once you throw the ball up to serve you must then hit the ball otherwise the point goes to your opponent. You aren't allowed to catch the ball if you feel your throw was bad and then throw it again.

However, what if you notice that the ball is cracked while the ball is in the air after you throw the ball?

Would you be allowed to catch the ball and show the umpire without losing a point?

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
If the ball is broken at any time during a point it's a let. I learned this at a tournament when I smashed the ball for a winner and my opponent took a let bc the ball broke on my smash. That was lame, but he was correct about the rule. So in your scenario you could serve the ball and then call let bc it is broken, no matter what happens in the point.

says Aging is a killer
Once the ball is thrown, the rally is now in play. If you catch the ball without playing a stroke, you will have to convince the umpire that there was some extenuating circumstance why you caught the ball, and that he should declare a let.
If you can prove that the ball was clearly broken, yes, the umpire will most likely call a let.