Need help for picking offensive blade for looping backspin

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
Just a bit of background, I haven't been trained in TT by a coach when I was young and I play in my office but I have been playing for about 4.5 years(1 hr daily, 5 days a week, mostly doubles) now. Even now I don't have a coach, most of the things I know is I learnt by watching my better colleagues play and experimenting with YouTube videos. So my technique isn't perfect, but I have learnt to loop with both forehand and backhand quite consistently.

Let me try and explain how I play

1. My serves are not that great, I serve with my backhand and majority is heavy backspin server with occasional sidepsin-backspin combination, I usually get pushed back backspin balls that I try to loop with heavy spin in my forehand, problem is ever since we switched to the plastic balls(we switched very late), I get blocked a lot and I'm finding it increasingly difficult to win points off spinny loops. The more backspin balls I get the more effort I have to put in to loop which makes me unbalanced to return the quick blocks.

2. People who find it difficult to block my forehand loops mostly give me heavy backspin pushes to my backhand side, I can usually loop them back but again since my backhand is weaker than forehand, I get blocked even more. I reduced to keep on pushing from my backhand side and I eventually lose patience and lose the points.

Due to the problems above I've decided to upgrade my equipment a little bit seeing as my technique isn't going to improve any sooner. I currently play with Mark V on my backhand and Xiom Vega Pro on my forehand on a DHS 6002 blade, it's not mine, I have borrowed my friends so I would like to buy a new custom made for me now.

Its been mentioned on many sites that I'd need a flexi, all-wood, 5-ply blade to loop well as it would increase the dwell time for me to loop well. My budget is 100 USD, I cannot go over that at this point in time. I have decided on Yasaka Rakza 7 for my backhand, Rakza 7 soft for my forehand and I'm a lot of confusion over my blade, which would suit me well?

1. Stiga Offensive Classic
2. Stiga Allround Classic
3. Tibhar Stratus Power Wood
4. Galaxy w6

Sorry for the long post, any help is appreciated.
?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Don’t get the All Round Classic. That blade is very slow and has a very small sweet spot (it was designed in the 1960s).

The Stratus Power Wood would be my choice of the 4 (followed by the W6).

Stiga Azalea Offensive is probably the best 5 ply all wood blade in the OFF/OFF- range with great feeling. If you don’t like the color then go with the Xiom Offensive S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
Blindly go with Tibhar SPW and make sure it weights above 90g, it matters
Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

Will my choice of rubbers go well with Tibhar SPW? I have mostly played with Euro rubbers and I have trouble with Chinese rubbers where my short pushes pop up. Will Rakza 7 go well with SPW?

This user has no status.

Will my choice of rubbers go well with Tibhar SPW? I have mostly played with Euro rubbers and I have trouble with Chinese rubbers where my short pushes pop up. Will Rakza 7 go well with SPW?

Yes. It will go well. Razka 7 isn’t that much different from Vega Pro. They are both ESN rubbers made at the same factory in Germany and the sponges are around the same hardness. (Except for R7 soft. Also it’s less common that you want the soft version on forehand and the regular version on backhand).

I’m not sure how fast/stiff that DHS blade is, but the combo might be faster than what you have been using.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Don’t get the All Round Classic. That blade is very slow and has a very small sweet spot (it was designed in the 1960s).

The Stratus Power Wood would be my choice of the 4 (followed by the W6).

Stiga Azalea Offensive is probably the best 5 ply all wood blade in the OFF/OFF- range with great feeling. If you don’t like the color then go with the Xiom Offensive S.

What's the difference between azalea offensive and xiom offensive s?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Just a bit of background, I haven't been trained in TT by a coach when I was young and I play in my office but I have been playing for about 4.5 years(1 hr daily, 5 days a week, mostly doubles) now. Even now I don't have a coach, most of the things I know is I learnt by watching my better colleagues play and experimenting with YouTube videos. So my technique isn't perfect, but I have learnt to loop with both forehand and backhand quite consistently.

Let me try and explain how I play

1. My serves are not that great, I serve with my backhand and majority is heavy backspin server with occasional sidepsin-backspin combination, I usually get pushed back backspin balls that I try to loop with heavy spin in my forehand, problem is ever since we switched to the plastic balls(we switched very late), I get blocked a lot and I'm finding it increasingly difficult to win points off spinny loops. The more backspin balls I get the more effort I have to put in to loop which makes me unbalanced to return the quick blocks.

2. People who find it difficult to block my forehand loops mostly give me heavy backspin pushes to my backhand side, I can usually loop them back but again since my backhand is weaker than forehand, I get blocked even more. I reduced to keep on pushing from my backhand side and I eventually lose patience and lose the points.

Due to the problems above I've decided to upgrade my equipment a little bit seeing as my technique isn't going to improve any sooner. I currently play with Mark V on my backhand and Xiom Vega Pro on my forehand on a DHS 6002 blade, it's not mine, I have borrowed my friends so I would like to buy a new custom made for me now.

Its been mentioned on many sites that I'd need a flexi, all-wood, 5-ply blade to loop well as it would increase the dwell time for me to loop well. My budget is 100 USD, I cannot go over that at this point in time. I have decided on Yasaka Rakza 7 for my backhand, Rakza 7 soft for my forehand and I'm a lot of confusion over my blade, which would suit me well?

1. Stiga Offensive Classic
2. Stiga Allround Classic
3. Tibhar Stratus Power Wood
4. Galaxy w6

Sorry for the long post, any help is appreciated.
?

Generally speaking, the first spinny loop is not meant to be a kill shot, but rather a precursor to one. You should work on uour recovery position to be ready for the killshot when the block comes in. This is mostly just remembering to keep your weight forward and start your top spin stroke higher as the return ball off of a spinny loop is gonna have varied amounts of top spin. To be honest, only few sessions with a coach will solve this problem for you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
Blindly go with Tibhar SPW and make sure it weights above 90g, it matters

90 gms plus two Rakza 7 will make my bat too heavy? My current bat is a bit small, the top part is a bit smaller than most other rackets. Will it cause problems?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
Yes. It will go well. Razka 7 isn’t that much different from Vega Pro. They are both ESN rubbers made at the same factory in Germany and the sponges are around the same hardness. (Except for R7 soft. Also it’s less common that you want the soft version on forehand and the regular version on backhand).

I’m not sure how fast/stiff that DHS blade is, but the combo might be faster than what you have been using.
I don't know how to explain this but when I started learning, I used a basic pre-made where the only thing I did was push with backspin, I learnt really jabbing at the ball to induce backspin. This habit kinda stuck with me and ever since I have been struggling with pushing in my forehand using hard rubbers, the ball goes long if I jab like I did previously and if I push lightly I give easy balls to the opponent. That's why my understanding is that the soft version will mask this weakness of mine.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
Yeah, you should have the normal 7 instead of soft on FH; if you dont mind get a spare Rakza 7 to replace soft if you didn't like it

Don't think I have the budget to get three Rakzas, I already cutting it fine with two Rakza 7s.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
I am 5'8 and weight 70kgs and I dont find it heavy; unless you're shorter and weight less than me you're good to go

You have Tibhar SPW and Rakza 7 setup? What's your game like? Do you also prefer spinny loops ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
Generally speaking, the first spinny loop is not meant to be a kill shot, but rather a precursor to one. You should work on uour recovery position to be ready for the killshot when the block comes in. This is mostly just remembering to keep your weight forward and start your top spin stroke higher as the return ball off of a spinny loop is gonna have varied amounts of top spin. To be honest, only few sessions with a coach will solve this problem for you.

Thank you. Yes I should work on the recovery, but mostly what puts me off is that when I loop from my backhand to opponents backhand, the block comes directly into my body, same with forehand, the block is low and directed quickly to my body, this is what is preventing me from making my next kill shot.

May be my problem is I can only impart enough topspin to put the ball over the net but not enough to seriously trouble my opponent.

says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
Aug 2017
Read 4 reviews
You have Tibhar SPW and Rakza 7 setup? What's your game like? Do you also prefer spinny loops ?

I have a variety of blades and rubbers. I play with SPW with T05 on FH and Rakza 7 on BH when I play casual games with club friends. This combination is however for intermediate to advanced players.

Whilst in tournaments, I use ZJK SZLC or Golden Viscaria with T05 FH and T80 BH.

My game is "Spin everything"
Top Spin, Slow Loop Spin, Side Spin and combination of spin variation/tricky serves.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
I have a variety of blades and rubbers. I play with SPW with T05 on FH and Rakza 7 on BH when I play casual games with club friends. This combination is however for intermediate to advanced players.

Whilst in tournaments, I use ZJK SZLC or Golden Viscaria with T05 FH and T80 BH.

My game is "Spin everything"
Top Spin, Slow Loop Spin, Side Spin and combination of spin variation/tricky serves.

I've been researching on the rubbers and blades for way too long as I'm not sure whether I'm good enough to try rubbers like Rakza 7. Do you have other suggestions for my forehand rubber, I'm kinda confused about buying the same rubbers,

I've tried out TSP Ventus Spin and TSP Ventus Soft but both of these are tensors and may lose the effects. Mark V has worked out well for me, is Rakza 7 a natural progression from Mark V or am I skipping forward too much?

To the OP:

Friend, take a coach, make some more systematic training and concentrate on your development, rather than a setuo to "mask" you failers. Now your pushes pop-up, with the next proposed setup they may end in the net. Now your oponent loops your blocks to your body, the next oponent may nail every ball out of your reach.
Find a coach and he will tell you whats appropriate for you level and style developement.

Reactions: ttmonster