IMO - Best Way to Remove WB Glue from the Sponge (Pull, do not Peel)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
IMO - Best Way to Remove WB Glue from the Sponge (Pull/Stretch, do not Peel)

I have discovered a better way to remove WB glue from stubborn open cell sponge rubbers (like Rakza 7) At least, I have not seen anyone online removing the glue in this way.

First, as do many, I apply enough layers of glue onto the sponge to allow the glue to be stretched without tearing too easily. I only use a very thin layer of Rev 3 Normal on my rubber and blade when installing, so I need to add a layer or two of glue prior to removal.

Then, it is as simple as “pulling” the glue off. Pull, do not “peel”. What I mean is, do not grab the glue and try to peel it off of the sponge, like you would peel up a piece of tape. Instead, grab the glue, lift it enough so you can grip it and stretch it out. Pull it away from the sponge. The stretching of the glue will cause it to lose its bond with the sponge.

Using this method, I can remove WB glue from R7 rubbers with ease. Before, when I would try to peel the rubber off of the sponge, I would often tear up little sections. This would happen no matter how hard I tried. With the pull method, I have removed glue from the same R7 rubber 3-4 times and the original printing is still on the sponge. No craters, no tore up sections of sponge. That original printing usually gets removed the first time peel the glue off. When you peel you are removing a small layer of sponge with the glue. We all know this, as the glue usually is tinted the same color of the sponge on the rubber. Pulling the glue off still removes some sponge, but much, much less.

Another note, since pulling the glue off, I find I have fewer issues with rubbers doming afterwards. This may also be due to the fact that I no longer use a roller of any sort. I found no matter how hard I tried, I could not keep from stretching the rubber slightly.

Just thought I would share. If you give this a try, I hope this works out for you as well as it has for me.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Can you record a footage doing it ?

Agree! record it, will be more helpfull. Instead of tell us a story.. So, people can more understand how exactly how to remove the glue. including me who have issues with my rubber xiom vega europe, can’t remove the glued

Looking foward for the footage

Thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
I have wanted to, but have been busy and have not had the time. Will try to get at least a picture or two to show this. Once you do it, you will think to yourself, so simple......

Normally, when removing the glue we all pull upwards on the glue. We try to pull upwards, or peel it of the sponge. Do not do that. Grab the glue, and pull it along the same plane as the sponge. Think of stretching a rubber band. Stretch the rubber out until it releases from the rubber. Little stress to the sponge and it comes up easy.

Let me add, picture that you are pulling the glue along the surface of the rubber. Again, do not pull up. Only "lift" the glue enough to be able to grab it. Then stretch the glue parallel to the sponge surface.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Pull and stretch the rubber off.

Got a little help from my daughter this morning.

The glue needs to be thick enough not to easily break when pulling, but not so thick that it is hard to stretch. I add layers of glue until I can pull/stretch the glue off of the sponge.

cache.php
cache.php

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited: