Varnish - - - > Blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
It won't affect stiffness much. But depending on the number of layers will make the blade feel harder.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Here is what I do.

Just put enough to seal the wood. If you are using a brush on type of finish (varnish /lacquer), try to apply it by wiping it on with a lint free cloth. Just enough to get the wood wet. Then, take a dry cloth and wipe the excess off. Let it dry for a little bit then repeat the process again. You can do this 2-3 times. Light sanding with a 600+ grit sanding block to smooth things out to complete the process.

You really only need a little finish to penetrate the wood surface which will keep the glue from being able to. You do not need to finish your blade per the directions on what ever product you choose. This is not a piece of furniture. You do not need, or want a high gloss finish.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here is what I do.

Just put enough to seal the wood. If you are using a brush on type of finish (varnish /lacquer), try to apply it by wiping it on with a lint free cloth. Just enough to get the wood wet. Then, take a dry cloth and wipe the excess off. Let it dry for a little bit then repeat the process again. You can do this 2-3 times. Light sanding with a 600+ grit sanding block to smooth things out to complete the process.

You really only need a little finish to penetrate the wood surface which will keep the glue from being able to. You do not need to finish your blade per the directions on what ever product you choose. This is not a piece of furniture. You do not need, or want a high gloss finish.

These are good directions. But I would only do it one time. You really only need the smallest amount. A very very very thin layer. One layer wiped on with a cloth will be more than enough.

Reactions: langel
I would not call the process "varnish/lacquer", but "seal".
Varnish/lacquer have more esthetic meaning, lacquer is usually to be done with several layers, which is not good for TT blades.
It will not change flexibility, but its the flexibility which may distort the lacquer. Several layers can make the blade surface harder.
I'm not a fan of any kind of sealing, but if you feel you need to do it - stick to the advice of Carl - one very thin layer just as to penetrate into the wood is enough to seal.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Aging is a killer
Use Falco normal glue. It is a thin glue thus will sink into the wood. Apply a couple of layers at first and let dry properly before your normal gluing of the rubbers.
It's one reason that players in speed glue days kept their blades for a long time. The glue preserved the wood and even enhanced its playing qualities (some said:)).