WRM composite +BF tackfire

says Thanks for the suggestion Splasher! I was going to try...
Apr 2019
Hello,
Since getting back to TT, I’ve been playing with a slow setup with allround blade and Chinese rubber as I didn’t like any catapult effect, but understood that with time and dedication I could gradually improve and move to faster rubbers. And that in general, the advice is to keep slower blades with good feel and use gradually faster rubbers.
I was talking to a relative who is a very good player in Japan, who was the star player in his hi-school and continue playing at high levels but then slowed down due to work etc.
He told me - I was surprised - that he hates fast bouncy rubbers so he uses a very fast composite blade - a brand called WRM that is probably a local manufacturer, and the unpopular Tackfire butterfly rubbers, and he uses 1.5 or 1.8 mm, he likes it thin... what a strange combo but he said it’s perfect for him. This made me wonder a lot about how important is to finding whatever feels good and gives you that extra confidence, but with the infinite combinations available, it can be just a waste of time while practicing is the only real good invesment.. nevertheless I will try his setup as soon as I get to meet him!

Apr 2019
ha yes you are right I didn’t really ask anything. Maybe someone has something to say about the fast blade/thin rubber combo, which I never read about, usually is fast blade and fast rubber for pros, slow blade slow rubber for beginners, and slow blade and gradually faster rubber for people improving.
My relative is absolutely only plays with fast blades and thin not bouncy rubber, he was telling me he knows the modern rubbers are what’s popular nowadays but he uses a very different setup. His dad plays penhold with an Hinoki blade that has an super thin rubber with no sponge (!!) and he’s a coach. I was just quite surprised to find out about setups so different from what I get to read about.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
I have Allround Classic with Mantra M now. Slow blade, fast rubber, by the book. Recently my coach suggested to try Viscaria with Chinese rubbers. And that felt like coming home.

The moral is, you have to try other people’s setup, talk to coaches and observe how you react to different combos.

I noticed that the AC+Mantra combo is fantastic for blocking and flicking, so I have tended towards that kind of play lately at the expense of powerful loop technique.

You definitely should find someone with a fast blade and hard rubbers and try that setup. There are no rules, only you and your technique.

Reactions: Andre74