Looking for my optimal rubber

This user has no status.
Hi!
I am looking for a rubber that fits to my forehand style.
I want something in the middle between rasanter r47 and rozena. With Rozena I can block easily, and the forgiveness is great. On the other hand I prefer r47 to attack. I feel more confortable in my forehand topspin, althought my consistency is not as good as with Rozena, and sometimes I fail.

I am an intermediate player. I like attack with topspin in my forehand, but I'm trying to improve my consistency, because this is one of my big problems in my game.

Any suggestions???

Thanks!!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Love these kind of threads.

OP for this type of thread usually somewhere rates their level as INTERMEDIATE, but when you see the person live or on vid, usually 5 to 10 levels below average club level.

OP usually states an attacking style of play, but if you ever glimpse the OP live or in a vid, often the OP couldn't FH topspin a ball with any quality even if the Queen personally signed and mailed the OP an Invitation card printed on heavy expensive stock.

OP usually asks some question about which attacking gear will suit the intermediate level Warrior... the asks the forum to choose between 2 or 2000 rubbers and blades... and promptly like 2 of them the most already and seemingly wants to hear us tell the OP what a great choice and that the gear is so totally appropriate.

The OP post checks most or all the blocks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: CallumMcKinnon
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
... but what the heck, OP didn't make the post to have some random trouble maker call him out on all that stuff.

Such an OP sincerely wants to improve and have more fun.

What such an OP needs is a foundation for strokes and tactics with professional training and guidance from those coaches with a track record and good experience in training adult players the basics.

That doesn't come cheap or easy... and that is if you are lucky to locate such a coach. Takes a good long time this way.

Often the OP has the only practical option of getting gear and playing league or matches.

In the latter case, the OP hampers themselves with quick rebounding OFF+ Carbon blades and real fast rubbers. This often fosters allowing the player to get away with making some semblance of pace with a really poor stroke. Endstae is usually real bad... OP develops some seriously bad habits that are near mission impossible to ever fix.

This helps the arguements of pundits to recommend ALL to OFF- class wood blades and medium speed high control rubbers to foster more full sound strokes.

Yet, even that proper prudent approach still results in OP never really progressing much above average level... but there is less to unscrew.

Both approaches never cover the other real important foundational concepts such as reading spin, movement to the ball, balance recovery, serve, receive, controlling options, reading opponent.

These basic foundational things are learned and improved upon only with professional competent coaching with the player using middle of the road equipment.

R47 is not exactly your average middle of the road stuff.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If such an OP is gunna get the equipment they want and not go down the road of getting guidance and training from a competent coach...

Then such an OP ought to realize they will not develop well, quit agonizing over this stuff or that, and simply enjoy the sport and talking about it.

Essentially, at one level or another, ALL of us are in that same boat.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I'll say this though, this is the first time a see an OP make a newb thread like this and demonstrate they want consistency ask ask specifically about that.

The easiest way I could say to anyone looking for consistency would be to not rush, loosen the grip to real loose, and not go for too much power.

For blocking, real loose grip and impact ball close to bounce.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Find an equally ambitious partner. Practice forehand to forehand drives, aim for repeatable 20 consecutive hit sets. Increase the speed, and do the same thing until you can easily do the 20 consecutive sets. Switch to brush looping, and repeat. Do this for 1.5 hour sessions over 4-5 sessions and repeat again for the backhand. When comfortable, vary between hard and soft shots to get an idea of the different responses your rubber has over low-mid-high impact.

Once you are familiar with the feel, have someone feed you underspin at various lengths and offer block practice. Reciprocate.

If you insist on changing, I recommend the same rubber on forehand and backhand. Pick the Rozena or R47, which ever on you like the most and get another sheet. After 2 weeks, you should be completely comfortable with the setup.

Every time you change rubber, you have to adjust for the feel. Don't pick equipment to fit your stroke, fit your stroke to whatever equipment you have. When you have enough consistency, pay attention to the "feel" preferences, you will know exactly what needs changed to get that "feel" when you get there.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Der, I actually find that this OP did something very important.

Not only is he saying he needs more control. Which I give him props for as you have. But he is saying he wants help figuring out what rubber will be best "FOR HIM".

So many ask what the best rubber is. Without realizing what they need is a rubber that will fit their needs. This OP did that. He is asking for a rubber that will fit his needs.

So I would say, we should not give him a hard time. We should try to help him.

Nexy Karis M

I think that would be an excellent rubber for what you described you would like.

Last edited:
Reactions: perham
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2018

OP for this type of thread usually somewhere rates their level as INTERMEDIATE, but when you see the person live or on vid, usually 5 to 10 levels below average club level.

OP usually states an attacking style of play, but if you ever glimpse the OP live or in a vid, often the OP couldn't FH topspin a ball with any quality even if the Queen personally signed and mailed the OP an Invitation card printed on heavy expensive stock.

OP usually asks some question about which attacking gear will suit the intermediate level Warrior... the asks the forum to choose between 2 or 2000 rubbers and blades... and promptly like 2 of them the most already and seemingly wants to hear us tell the OP what a great choice and that the gear is so totally appropriate.

What is your USATT rating, world ranking, or level?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Hi!
I am looking for a rubber that fits to my forehand style.
I want something in the middle between rasanter r47 and rozena. With Rozena I can block easily, and the forgiveness is great. On the other hand I prefer r47 to attack. I feel more confortable in my forehand topspin, althought my consistency is not as good as with Rozena, and sometimes I fail.

I am an intermediate player. I like attack with topspin in my forehand, but I'm trying to improve my consistency, because this is one of my big problems in my game.

Any suggestions???

Thanks!!

Serious questions for you.

Why do you think you are more consistent with the Rozena?
What is it about the R47 that makes you more comfortable with it?
How are you using the R47 to attack?

Now for a bit of a trick question. Why is it you are more comfortable with one rubber, but less consistent with it? Is there one aspect of that rubber that you really like? Is it possible that you then you use that one thing to compare against the other rubber and thus feel the other is not a good fit?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Hi!

I want something in the middle between rasanter r47 and rozena.

Hexer Grip is a little softer than R47 and not as agressive. It should be on a par with Rozena concerning sponge hardness, but it should also be cheaper. You should have the control that you wish for and enough attacking power also.

This user has no status.
I am confortable while I am attacking with r47, but in the passive game I have a lot of mistakes.
In the other hand, with Rozena the passive game is great, but in my topspin many times the ball goes to the net. And I dont like the feeling in the topspin. I feel that soft. I prefer the feeling of r47 for that.

So I would like to find a rubber with hardness similar to r47 but more controllabe in the passive game

Thanks

Last edited:
This user has no status.

Thanks for your funny answer, but this is no my case...

I have been playing table tennis since I was a kid. After a stop of 15 years, I came back to the game four years ago.
So, I know the typical mistakes with the equipment. I know the technique, but I have a lot to improve.

I understand your frustation, but this is my first post, and I need help because I have trying different rubbers for a while (no leagues in summer), and finally I can explain what I need.

This user has no status.
Serious questions for you.

Why do you think you are more consistent with the Rozena?
What is it about the R47 that makes you more comfortable with it?
How are you using the R47 to attack?

Now for a bit of a trick question. Why is it you are more comfortable with one rubber, but less consistent with it? Is there one aspect of that rubber that you really like? Is it possible that you then you use that one thing to compare against the other rubber and thus feel the other is not a good fit?

With Rozena I fail less balls in the passive game (blocks, short game, ...)
For me its easier to make topspin with r47. I can feel how the ball goes exactly with the arch I want. I feel like if all my topsping were to the net with Rozena.

This user has no status.
Der, I actually find that this OP did something very important.

Not only is he saying he needs more control. Which I give him props for as you have. But he is saying he wants help figuring out what rubber will be best "FOR HIM".

So many ask what the best rubber is. Without realizing what they need is a rubber that will fit their needs. This OP did that. He is asking for a rubber that will fit his needs.

Nexy Karis M

I think that would be an excellent rubber for what you described you would like.

Thank you!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017

Nexy Karis M

This is a rubber that you recommend a lot, but I have a hard time finding it in Europe. Is it just not distributed in Europe? Is there anything similar from other brands?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016