Looking for something to pair with BTY Primorac

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Hi all,

Im new here. Im coming back to the sport after almost 8 years. Looking to get some advice regarding equipment. I played for around 3 - 4years casually before I stopped. Back then I was using some random Tibhar blade with Sriver n Mark V. Also tried Flextra, but found it just a tad bit too slow.

I def do have control over my shots, but still got a lot to learn. I would say I am right there in between a beginner and an intermediate. Im thinking of picking up either a BTY Primorac or Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive , but I am not too sure regarding which rubbers I should go with. I was thinking of either Mark V or Sriver again, but I have heard folks saying not to pair a soft rubber with a soft-ish blade and / or these rubbers are outdated and too slow.

I was hoping some of the experienced folks here could gimme a few suggestions. Im open to anything, but would prefer an all-wood blade with an all-round rubber. No tensors please, probably too fast for me, I need to get my rhythm back before I pick up anything fancy.

And it'd be nice if they were Butterfly or Yasaka. (Easier to get these where I live.) Thank you!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
If you really want to stay away from tensors, and I presume, BTY spring sponge, maybe something like Xiom Musa or one of the Stiga series (although they are about to launch some tensors). I like DHS GoldArc 5, which is made by ESN, but is not a tensor. Won't feel too strange to you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
If you really want to stay away from tensors, and I presume, BTY spring sponge

in other words, anything with in-built speed glue effect

also stay away from the new rubbers

of the Stiga series

as they are quite the same in all but the name. Different playing characteristics, closer to tenergy than most ESN Tensor rubbers, but by no means "classic" rubbers.

You should however consider to take a look at modern rubbers with reduced speed-glue effect, entry level tensor rubbers. Yasaka for example offers the Rigan, pairing classic technology with what they call "Hybrid Energy". Butterfly have Sriver G3 or Roundell, both slightly faster than Sriver and maybe just what you need on the Primorac in the plastic ball era.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. Something just a slight step above the regular Mark V or Sriver. I asked around on reddit and also saw similar posts on other forums of ppl basically asking what I just asked. I was really surprised to find out that this community doesn't have a bread-n-butter combo to recommend. Everyone was suggesting something different and making it more complex than it needed to be.

Thank you again for your help!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
You mean how similar is the play of primo+2×t05fx? I played rakza 7 on infinity only and in 2.0 thickness, it was a decent setup: spinny, lightweight, but not very fast -- far from that. Can't tell you how rakza plays on Primorac, sorry. Few times I tried the a/m setup of one lady in the club and I was astonished by how simple it is to play with. Loops, in particular, are just a breeze.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I'd say the Primorac would be an excellent choice for you.

I'd pair it with Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft 2.0mm on both sides if you want something with control and still dynamic with good spin and speed, or Xiom Vega Europe also in 2.0mm. If you'd like something less dynamic, Rozena 1.9mm is good. Stick to the same rubber and same thickness on both sides as you're juts picking up the game again. You can upgrade your forehand rubber first in a year or two.

Enjoy!

Reactions: lVegita
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
I'd say the Primorac would be an excellent choice for you.

I'd pair it with Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft 2.0mm on both sides if you want something with control and still dynamic with good spin and speed, or Xiom Vega Europe also in 2.0mm. If you'd like something less dynamic, Rozena 1.9mm is good. Stick to the same rubber and same thickness on both sides as you're juts picking up the game again. You can upgrade your forehand rubber first in a year or two.

Enjoy!

Hmm, I was told not to pair soft rubbers with soft blades. Since Primorac is considered a soft blade, would Rakza 7 soft really be the best choice here ?

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Hmm, I was told not to pair soft rubbers with soft blades. Since Primorac is considered a soft blade, would Rakza 7 soft really be the best choice here ?

Primorac is not that soft of a blade, and Rakza 7 Soft are still 40 deg. If you're scared it'll be too soft, then definitely go for Xiom Vega Europe (42 deg) in 2.0mm both sides, it's a great rubber and you can't beat the price. If you get Rozena, since it's less dynamic, maybe get it in 2.1mm on the FH, 1.9mm on the BH.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Making a statement like: "I did not like how these (specific) soft rubbers felt on this (specific) soft blade." Is very different than making a statement like: "soft rubbers are no good on soft blades". And of course there will always be someone else who likes how a certain soft rubber feels on a certain soft blade.

Look at what Emmanuel Lebesson uses: FXP (soft) and a soft 5 ply wood blade. If you were used to that, feeling a hard blade with hard rubbers would feel bad. And if you were used to a hard blade with hard rubbers and tried Lebbesson's setup it would feel odd. But rubbers do what they do. Blades do what they do. If you put a rubber on a blade, it might not feel good to you. But the blade and rubbers would work fine together. The subjective experience of good or bad is not based on how the equipment performs.

And if you used something that at first felt bad to you, but you used it for 6 months of solid training, you would learn how to get the most out of that equipment, and at a certain point, that equipment would determine whether you thought other things felt good or bad. And that setup would simply feel normal and right to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Primorac is not that soft of a blade, and Rakza 7 Soft are still 40 deg. If you're scared it'll be too soft, then definitely go for Xiom Vega Europe (42 deg) in 2.0mm both sides, it's a great rubber and you can't beat the price. If you get Rozena, since it's less dynamic, maybe get it in 2.1mm on the FH, 1.9mm on the BH.
Any of the modern dynamic soft sponged rubbers will be super on a Primorac... you are well within good to say so.

Genius, Aurus soft, Calibra LT Spin, Vega Pro, Rakza7 soft, Accuda S3, Bluefire M3, 05FX, V15, and a hundred others would do just fine and dandy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Making a statement like: "I did not like how these (specific) soft rubbers felt on this (specific) soft blade." Is very different than making a statement like: "soft rubbers are no good on soft blades". And of course there will always be someone else who likes how a certain soft rubber feels on a certain soft blade.

Look at what Emmanuel Lebesson uses: FXP (soft) and a soft 5 ply wood blade. If you were used to that, feeling a hard blade with hard rubbers would feel bad. And if you were used to a hard blade with hard rubbers and tried Lebbesson's setup it would feel odd.

When I got back from Korea to USA in 2013, at that time, I was using Nexy Arirang with FX-P on fh... a soft-soft combo as Carl described and got my highest usatt rating ever with that setup.

I say that to support Carl's statement. Some player's impact allows a quality shot with soft setups.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Hi all,

Im new here. Im coming back to the sport after almost 8 years. Looking to get some advice regarding equipment. I played for around 3 - 4years casually before I stopped. Back then I was using some random Tibhar blade with Sriver n Mark V. Also tried Flextra, but found it just a tad bit too slow.

I def do have control over my shots, but still got a lot to learn. I would say I am right there in between a beginner and an intermediate. Im thinking of picking up either a BTY Primorac or Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive , but I am not too sure regarding which rubbers I should go with. I was thinking of either Mark V or Sriver again, but I have heard folks saying not to pair a soft rubber with a soft-ish blade and / or these rubbers are outdated and too slow.

I was hoping some of the experienced folks here could gimme a few suggestions. Im open to anything, but would prefer an all-wood blade with an all-round rubber. No tensors please, probably too fast for me, I need to get my rhythm back before I pick up anything fancy.

And it'd be nice if they were Butterfly or Yasaka. (Easier to get these where I live.) Thank you!
Hi buddy, I had a primorac before, and I have attached Chinese rubbers and ESN too, both are compatible, if you don't want use tensor rubbers I recommend you use Yinhe Jupiter II for FH and BH, they are cheap,nice, and faster than H3N, very controllable and spinny, if you want give a chance to ESN rubber I can recommend you get a couple XVE, they are spinny with lots control

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Hi buddy, I had a primorac before, and I have attached Chinese rubbers and ESN too, both are compatible, if you don't want use tensor rubbers I recommend you use Yinhe Jupiter II for FH and BH, they are cheap,nice, and faster than H3N, very controllable and spinny, if you want give a chance to ESN rubber I can recommend you get a couple XVE, they are spinny with lots control

For OP's sake, XVE are Xiom Vega Europe, correct?