Off the table exercises

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I am looking to add some Off the table exercises to my training, such as weighted movements or resistance band movements and maybe ladder footwork drills. Does anybody have good suggestions or clips of videos to help me get some ideas? Thank you!
All about footwork. Upper body and core training comes secondary unless you are a heavy looper.

Lunges with weights, jumping squat, side lunges, reverse plank, single leg hop etc. They should be the first to do. If you have spare time then add upper body and core training to it.

Sent from my PAR-LX9 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
All about footwork. Upper body and core training comes secondary unless you are a heavy looper.

Lunges with weights, jumping squat, side lunges, reverse plank, single leg hop etc. They should be the first to do. If you have spare time then add upper body and core training to it.

Second this. Leg exercise is very important. In addition to these exercises, you can also do some shadow footwork too including strokes with your blade. You can find videos on YouTube. Don't bother with upper body. If you want to achieve deadly loops, legs, core and mastering technique of transferring the power (get a coach if you can) are the key. There's a reason why a skinny middle school kid can deliver a more powerful loop than some bulky dude with no technique.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think it is not only about footwork. Being strong in the stomach is very important to be able to loop hard. There is also a reason people are getting injuried with the plastic ball. Tabletennis is hard for the body. If you are not strong enough it is more likely that you Will get injuried så i think it is smart to train the whole body.

Shadow training is good.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Second this. Leg exercise is very important. In addition to these exercises, you can also do some shadow footwork too including strokes with your blade. You can find videos on YouTube. Don't bother with upper body. If you want to achieve deadly loops, legs, core and mastering technique of transferring the power (get a coach if you can) are the key. There's a reason why a skinny middle school kid can deliver a more powerful loop than some bulky dude with no technique.
Yes agree 100%. I forgot to mention that in order to attack effectively you need the power of the legs for weight transfer. So again leg training is paramount.

Another idea I used is to get a iron bat from China. Each bat weighs about 500g. You can do shadow training with that heavy bat. It will help your recovery time and strength of your stroke.

This user has no status.
Yes agree 100%. I forgot to mention that in order to attack effectively you need the power of the legs for weight transfer. So again leg training is paramount.

Another idea I used is to get a iron bat from China. Each bat weighs about 500g. You can do shadow training with that heavy bat. It will help your recovery time and strength of your stroke.

I thought about this before, but have heard of mixed opinions on holding a heavier weight to train. I do have very light dumbbells (2-3 lbs) which I can hold them just the way I hold my blade, but I was afraid the extra weight might mess me up. Maybe 500g is acceptable?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
not what you are looking for and so far no one has mentioned it so i will.

one often neglected off the table exercise i feel is important is VISUALIZATION!

visualize yourself with fast footwork and/or perfect strokes. or 'model' yourself after your favorite player. visualize and imprint that player over yourself and imagine/visualize yourself/him/her playing with fast footwork and/or great strokes.

truly HTH!