Short Pips question

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Ito uses Moristo a speed oriented pip, Mingyang uses Victas 102 a spin oriented short pip. Both are on the soft and bouncy side. What kind of game are you planning on playing? Classic block and smash, or more aggressive spin variation/attacking?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
If you just want a starting point, recommend 802-40. I tried more than a dozen pips but always keep a few sheets of this one around.

This user has no status.
Ito uses Moristo a speed oriented pip, Mingyang uses Victas 102 a spin oriented short pip. Both are on the soft and bouncy side. What kind of game are you planning on playing? Classic block and smash, or more aggressive spin variation/attacking?

i though she used TSP Spectol Speed?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
More aggressive? 802-40 is still the grippiest short pips there is, nothing else I've tried even comes close. Makes active attacking more effective. Its not as bouncy as modern soft springy pips, but smashes harder (higher top end speed). Give the hard sponged (42 degree) a try, its cheap but punches above its weight.

You can also try the Victas 102 or Spinpips Red, soft bouncy pips (completely the other end of the spectrum). Not as grippy as the 802-40, so not the best pips for initiating attacks, but faster (much) on blocks and flicks, slightly slower on smashing. I don't recommend Spectol or "low-spin" pips for people just making the switch.

Another option is to incorporate more flat strokes while still using inverted, Truls Moregarde (Stiga Mantra) etc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
More interesting why he she thinks it May work for you. What was his reasoning?

What short pimple you choose also depends much on how he she wants you too play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
So you are naturally good at hitting thick flat? Then i think you should try short pimple or try to learn to make spin with inverted.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
First starting out on SPs? Then I'd say 802 or 802-40. No need to break the bank on something that might not work for you anyways. Furthermore, those are very good SPs.

Honestly I have a hard time telling the difference between the two. The size of the pips, etc are almost identical. But this myth that 802-40 is some kind of super-charged spinnier version from classic 802? I don't see it. At least not in the sheets I've had. It's a very mild difference and what sponge you have on it is a pretty big factor.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
First starting out on SPs? Then I'd say 802 or 802-40. No need to break the bank on something that might not work for you anyways. Furthermore, those are very good SPs.

Honestly I have a hard time telling the difference between the two. The size of the pips, etc are almost identical. But this myth that 802-40 is some kind of super-charged spinnier version from classic 802? I don't see it. At least not in the sheets I've had. It's a very mild difference and what sponge you have on it is a pretty big factor.

802 pips are smaller i think, -40s is bigger. I prefer bigger. Proably because i have used it more. The chinese coach in our club prefer 802 that are smaller. What grip he should have depends on how he wants to play in my opinion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
your coach is right, depende what you want to do with your BH, if you want mostly defense you have to use a slow rubber with thin sponge, if you want attack you need a fast rubber with thick sponge