Can gambling affect tt results ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Well, you have this article from The Independent some days ago: https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...-cup-moscow-liga-pro-bookmakers-b1722385.html

It happens from time to time that you have to "throw out" some people with laptops from international tt events. This happens in all sports. I think the reason for throwing them out is a 50/50 between protecting the betting rights and protection against competition manipulation.

The ITTF Ethics committee (Rudi Sporrer) says the following about this problem:

If you consider that you, or someone you know has been approached for anything related to competition manipulation.
If you want to report about an incident if you feel that you may have been the victim of, or have witnessed, an incident of harassment and/or abuse during an ITTF event.
Please contact the ITTF Competition Manager of the event as soon as possible, or alternatively, the ITTF Integrity Officer: [email protected].

I would believe that the same goes for the WTT-events, that you contact the equivalent of the competition manager (I don't remember the new title...).. The integrety officer is for now mr Dylan Mah in Singapore. He is the ITTF Legal Councel, a 24/7 job in it's own right I would believe... The plan is to open a new position as an integrety officer (gambling, doping, fraud, harassement, abuse etc), but this has probably got stuck in Covid-19...

Anyhow, the hotline [email protected] seems like a good thing to know about.
https://www.ittf.com/integrity/

Reactions: zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
US bookmakers have reported taking hundreds of thousands of dollars in bets every day on table tennis since the pandemic started. “The matches don’t take long to finish and since there are so many to parlay, people seem to really enjoy it,” says Nick Bogdanovich, William Hill’s US director of trading. “It’s exceeded my expectations by a thousand times. I’m shocked – and pleasantly so.”

Hilarious thread from the OP who lives in a country with the most sophisticated gambling culture in the world looking down on his origin country.

Zeio you tend to be quite critical about the US are you? ; ) I always thought South Asia region was quite big on gambling ... ?

Trolls will be trolls. He just was waiting for an opportunity to take a shot no matter how much of a stretch it is.

He is not the 1st nor the last to be down on the US. We understand there will always be those who are jealous out there. It happens.

Sure. Sports betting. Ishikawa won't like her odds.

https://europeangaming.eu/portal/la...signs-long-term-deal-with-world-table-tennis/
Steve Dainton, ITTF CEO & WTT director, said: “Partnering with IMG ARENA to distribute our sports betting live streaming and betting data rights is an important strategic development for WTT. IMG ARENA has a strong track record of working with federations and international sports organisations to both protect and grow sports via their innovative products and solutions.

CsHPZi7XYAAX6dm.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Betting is a really good way to attract audience. It’s always been a controversial stuff in sport but it certainly works. Take football as an example, a very popular sport. About 1/4-1/3 of my friends would feel losing attention and desire to watch without putting in a bet or two. That’s not a small number.

Regarding table tennis, the problem of match fixing is likely a lot less to worry about than in other sports since the number of bettors and their size are probably going to be relatively small. In big sports, match fixing tend to happen a lot more in unregulated arenas. Take my first country’s football as an example. Betting is illegal by law and the sport a decade ago was well known for match fixing. A lot of top players ruined their careers, being discovered. There was a time when my home team, the best in the country, lost in the final national championships 3 4 years in row and people close to the management team said it was just simply most profitable to go to the final and lose.

so if betting is done in a regulated way, although sound controversial to some, it’s probably a win-win decision for both fans and the commercial viability of the sport.

This user has no status.
www.setka-cup.com is brilliant.lots of live TT matches streamed online.Varying standards but very addictive.There are hundreds of players who play in what appears to be enclosed rooms with only the players and an umpire present.I think we will all see players we can relate to as it's just like watching local league table tennis. Some could be playing in the top division and others could be in the 6th division. If you are that way inclined you can also have a bet on the games which is presumably why it was set up. Everyone looks to me like they are trying hard.Give it a watch I suggest

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
It definitely does, people are as addicted to betting as they are to gambling. The upper tiers are affected less because players have more to lose if they are caught, but lower leagues are full of shady matches because the regulation is weaker.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
If you gamble on TT it will give you a Chinese loop like Ma Long and thereby improve your TT results and it will exempt you from Rule 88.

Obviously it works better if you bet on leagues in places like Ukraine and Kazakhstan on matches between players nobody has ever heard of, and the more money you bet the more your loop will improve.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
it used to be in the practice hall at the worlds. maybe still is, jimmy langan of Ireland had some tales to tell in the 60's-70's of big money games.
in those days the no 1 players of countries like ireland or denmark could on occasion embarrass the top eastern because of their unorthodox styles

Status
Not open for further replies.