Ma Long - Beautiful Perfection

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Very nicely done Plasmalight !!! Love the slo-mos in the beginning , some of them are indeed beautiful and perfect .. very aptly named.
Hope someone makes a similar ones for Zhang Jike, even though Xu Xin would be a nice subject too considering some of his shots are very beautiful but we need to wait till he wins something major , else the last podium shot will be missing :p !!

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Very nicely done Plasmalight !!! Love the slo-mos in the beginning , some of them are indeed beautiful and perfect .. very aptly named.
Hope someone makes a similar ones for Zhang Jike, even though Xu Xin would be a nice subject too considering some of his shots are very beautiful but we need to wait till he wins something major , else the last podium shot will be missing :p !!

Yeah this is true. I am still waiting on Xu Xin to win a major, his day will come :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I try to copy that once in a while and sometimes end up looking foolish and cover it up with a wide grin after hitting the ball with the left hand , especially the forehand . But the back hand banana becomes easier and works better if you do what he is doing.
Awesome! Great quality as well :D I noticed in this video that it is actually a small miracle that the ball never touches his left hand when he loops. Both in FH and BH loops, his left hand is really close to the ball haha.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Awesome! Great quality as well :D I noticed in this video that it is actually a small miracle that the ball never touches his left hand when he loops. Both in FH and BH loops, his left hand is really close to the ball haha.

That is a great spot from you WiWa. Ma Long's free arm is almost directing every time where the ball will go from his backhand side. I wonder if he knows this and its one of his most important assets separating him from the other players?...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
That is a great spot from you WiWa. Ma Long's free arm is almost directing every time where the ball will go from his backhand side. I wonder if he knows this and its one of his most important assets separating him from the other players?...

Well for the BH I would imagine it seems to give more explosiveness. Like you are winding up, wrist + elbow + body 'curled inwards', and then you hit the ball, 'curling' yourself out again. I don't know how to explain this haha :p But it makes sense to me that by bending your back a bit and shoulders/arms forward, and 'straightening up' during the shot, (Like Ma Long does in his BH flips, and also, but maybe less obvious, in his BH loops), it would add to the power of your shot.
For FH you get a stronger swing I think when you start with your non-playing arm forward. Since your playing arm starts backwards, with the body 'turned outside', the swing you make during the shot will be faster when your non-playing arm does the opposite of the playing arm. Turning your body in fact means turning your shoulders, and this gets easier if the arm motions are in the right directions.

This is what seems logic to me, but I have no idea if it really works according to the laws of physics and such :p So it does make sense to me that it would improve explosiveness/power on the shot, but I don't know if it can be scientifically proven haha.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011

he knows, dan ;) its called the "ma long technique" ... the young kids in china are learning this technique, when the are young. and its really nice. i tried it for the forehand. its much easier to play and a little bit faster, cause you can really "swing" ... and for the backhand you can locate the ball very good and know, where you have to move and hit the ball :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
he knows, dan ;) its called the "ma long technique" ... the young kids in china are learning this technique, when the are young. and its really nice. i tried it for the forehand. its much easier to play and a little bit faster, cause you can really "swing" ... and for the backhand you can locate the ball very good and know, where you have to move and hit the ball :)

i didnt know this technique got his name ! its awesome :) i remember my coach when i was little taught me to use my free arm (left) as a guide in any kind of forehand move and bymyself i discovered it gives you better swing motion if u do it correctly . i havent thought this about bh moves , i will try it :) great video plasma one of the best ive ever seen

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
I think the theme is Enya. Really nice. I've watched it more than 5 times now. Excellent video Plasma..one of the best tributes I've seen. Beautifully done! :)

About his FH technique, it existed many years ago actually, especially in tennis. I was taught to point the ball 1st, then hit on the FH. On the BH my shoulder must be pointing to the ball before hitting it. It taught me to rotate my hip when I hit, FH & BH. I guess the same thing applies in TT.

Again Plasma, great great video mate!!! Thanx for sharing.