Question on table tennis rules

This user has no status.
I found this website that explains the rule of how the ball can be returned
https://www.allabouttabletennis.com/basic-table-tennis-rules.html

The writer typed that
rule.jpg
Does it mean that I can just actively contact the ball with my hand in the touch game every time?
like this
rule1.jpg
or even this?
rule2.jpg

I'm not suggesting you to abuse the rule(although using your hand may not be an effective return anyways even if allowed). I'm just asking if it is possible.

This user has no status.
wow. That is funny. I suppose your hand is way less sensitive to spin, if you know what I mean :p, though much less stability I think.
Yup, I'm guessing there's two parts to that rule:
- doing it one purpose in a reliable fashion would require some fairly extensive training
- it's not meant for doing it on purpose even if it doesn't exclude it explicitly, so I'm willing to bet that if we were to start seeing a pro player do it and winning a decent amount of points that way, the rule would be changed to make that "purpose or on purpose" more explicit.

Bottomline: if you touch the ball with your hand by mistake it's completely fine, the ball is going to be very unexpected for your opponent, sort of like a net or the edge of the table. You got lucky :)

Now if you want to play with mostly your hand, there are other sports for that, like Basque Pelota :)

Reactions: nivekkan
This user has no status.
Unless your hand has tensor or spring sponge technology, it would be very hard to do unless you have mastered it.

No one would even try to master it because you would only be able to use something that you spent a longtime practicing once or twice before ITTF tackled you. If you are doing it recreationally, you won't even find a person who is willing to play with you to start with.
But if you do it once in a blue moon for fun with a clear intention of trolling, it is probably OK.

Last edited:
Reactions: bricec
This user has no status.
- doing it one purpose in a reliable fashion would require some fairly extensive training
- it's not meant for doing it on purpose even if it doesn't exclude it explicitly, so I'm willing to bet that if we were to start seeing a pro player do it and winning a decent amount of points that way, the rule would be changed to make that "purpose or on purpose" more explicit.

Bottomline: if you touch the ball with your hand by mistake it's completely fine, the ball is going to be very unexpected for your opponent, sort of like a net or the edge of the table. You got lucky :)

Now if you want to play with mostly your hand, there are other sports for that, like Basque Pelota :)

And that person will be infamous for being an asshole for ever till the end of time.

Reactions: bricec
This user has no status.

Well said!

It reminds me that there was a little commotion in the tournament I participated in several years ago. Opponent served a very short backspin serve and I leaned far out to push it back so ball hit my arm, and my opponent insisted on replaying a point. As if I tried to use it...

Reactions: nivekkan
If what you mean by arm as any part above the wrist then that is illegal.

Well said!

It reminds me that there was a little commotion in the tournament I participated in several years ago. Opponent served a very short backspin serve and I leaned far out to push it back so ball hit my arm, and my opponent insisted on replaying a point. As if I tried to use it...

This user has no status.
If what you mean by arm as any part above the wrist then that is illegal.
Yup, I had the exact same point in mind when reading this comment.

Same goes for any piece of clothing by the way. One thing where Timo Boll is actually very clean with as you can see him showing the umpires when the ball touches his shirt on many occasions. I often wonder how he even manages to notice.