Tips for hitting the sweetspot

says Thanks for the suggestion Splasher! I was going to try...
Apr 2019
Hi,
I’m currently not playing in the club so I have not access to a coach (I will next month ) and currently playing 2/3 times a week with friends of similar level as mine.
Apologizes if this topic has been already discussed.
I’m having problems with my strokes, especially FH, and I currently have no access to club and coaching, I’m just playing with friends 2/3 times a week.
The problem I want to ask you an advice for is most recurrent: I consistently hit the racket very near the top edge. I’m really consistent, but at hitting the wrong place.Not only I miss the control I get from hitting the racket in the sweetspot, but sometimes I manage to hit the edge of the racket and occasionally miss the ball. Looks like whatever I’m doing now, my default impact point is 1cm away from the top edge of the plate and I can tell clearly from the feedback vibrations and the wear in the rubber.Beside the ‘get coaching’- not an option for a few weeks, and work on your footwork, which I’m focusing on, I feel I’m just doing something wrong and I was wondering if there is a mental note I can use to fix this issue.
I need to provide a video I know, but maybe this is a common problem and there’s a few specific things I could try?
For the last few months I’ve been using a blade that is 5mm shorter than my allround blades I started with, so it makes this issue even worse..

Thanks for your time
Andre

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yep. Time to train. Get one of the friends you play with to do training drills till you adjust to the correct contact point.

You could also try training with one of those mini rackets that are for show:

4c4bddd170cd9d9b9e63b403e735b8d5.jpg

If you trained with something like that for a day or so, you would be forced to readjust to the racket just to make contact.

Last edited:
Apr 2019
Thanks for the advices everyone.
Of all, the one I realise I totally don’t do, is keeping my eyes on the ball. And of course, repetitions, need to do more training and less matches. UpSideDownCarl, does that mini Tibhar come in a 7 plies of rare Japanese Hinoki? if so I might just get one :).. the non mini one arrived yesterday and I’m just looking at it for now, it’s a beauty.
I actually have a couple of mini rackets which I occasionally play for fun with when I open the table at home in the garden! Not sure what my friends would say if I turn up with one of those but I might take two to next meet and see what happens.

Last edited: