Gluing with glue sheets

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
Recently, instead of gluing with the "traditional" water glue, I tried using glue sheets (specifically the Tibhar Duo).

Glue sheets traditionally are used for gluing ox pimple out rubbers. However I used them for gluing my Xiom Vega pro rubbers.

The outcome amazed me:
Perfect gluing,so even that it is almost impossible to achieve with glue, in 1/10 of the time that it takes gluing with glue and without any of the risks like uneven spreading , without any "stripes" or "dents" that can occur with normal glue.

So my question it this: How come glue sheets haven't become more popular? Do they have any disadvantage that I should know?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
They main disadvantage is that they are expensive.

Well that's debatable.For a pro player that will change rubbers several times during a year, yes its expensive.
But for the recreational/amateur player that changes rubbers once or twice a year, it's much safer and cheaper.
From my experience,glue after 2-3 years in the bottle, tends to get "spoiled" and doesn't glue as effectively

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
pros often apply multible glue layers to add a bit flexibility/elasticity like an additional small boost effect but rather giving a better feeling. i guess you cant achieve that with glue sheets.

I am a intermediate player, and cannot honestly say that I noticed any difference in "feeling" or ball bounce, using the exact same setup that I had....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
Also, they cause wood splinters even if the blade is sealed.

Glue sheets have two sides:The "strong" side that is for the rubber and the "weaker" side that is for the blade.
Splintering can occur if you glue on the blade the side that is for the rubber. otherwise if you are careful, you can avoid splintering

Reactions: suds79
says I buy too much equipment
says I buy too much equipment
Jul 2019
I tried gluesheets on regular rubbers as well but sometimes on powerful shots there was a very strange crackling sound that made my opponents think the ball was broken a couple of times. Apart from that not much downsides (well maybe the price as mentioned). Never had any issues removing sheets from my blades either.

I still prefer regular glue but I'd say gluesheets are a nice hassle free alternative, especially if you don't glue/reglue often.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
I tried gluesheets on regular rubbers as well but sometimes on powerful shots there was a very strange crackling sound that made my opponents think the ball was broken a couple of times. Apart from that not much downsides (well maybe the price as mentioned). Never had any issues removing sheets from my blades either.

I still prefer regular glue but I'd say gluesheets are a nice hassle free alternative, especially if you don't glue/reglue often.

Well another great advantage of glue sheets, is that they do not leave any glue residue on the sponge, so you can easily try the same rubbers on another blade.
With glue, you have to remove the glue from the sponge first (unbelievable hassle), before you try used rubbers on another blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
1. You don't need to remove glue from the sponge. Just glue the blade and slap it on with whatever is left over.

2. There is no difference in playing properties.

3. I haven't noticed any excessive crinkling with regular glue, just takes some practice.

4. Your glue bottle last 2-3 years?!?!?!

Glue sheets have two sides:The "strong" side that is for the rubber and the "weaker" side that is for the blade.
Splintering can occur if you glue on the blade the side that is for the rubber. otherwise if you are careful, you can avoid splintering

Problem is not a lot of people know that. Some do not even read the labels.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
1. You don't need to remove glue from the sponge. Just glue the blade and slap it on with whatever is left over.

2. There is no difference in playing properties.

3. I haven't noticed any excessive crinkling with regular glue, just takes some practice.

4. Your glue bottle last 2-3 years?!?!?!

1 & 2 Of course you have to remove the glue from the sponge!
If you don't, the glue doesn't penetrate the sponge and the surface of the rubber is never even! And the playing properties go down the drain.

3. Yes gluing requires practice and has many little tricks that you have to be aware of.

4. I change rubbers once maybe twice a year. So why does that surprise you?

This user has no status.
Glue sheets are great. Only issues is that on delicate blades like the Hurricane long series you get splinters with the weak side of glue. I only use them on hinoki as it does t splinter as easily in my experience.
Fast and easy though and Ive never had peeling issues unlike with rubber cement (my glue of choice)

But it's a tough bullet to bite if you dont know how likely your 150 dollar blade is to splinter. Which almost rules out stiga :')

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016

For sure this. I don't recall seeing one side labeled as the strong side but clearly it was there. Taking that sheet of my blade was the biggest pain in the A I've ever had.

heat gun and alot of rubbing with my fingers... Wonder if I should have tried a non-acetone finger nail polish remover now that I think about it. oh well.

I do have an OX sheet of 802 short pips laying around. By itself it'd be somewhat flimsy. But with that gluesheet on it, it gives the rubber a pinch of stiffness and it's perpetually sticky. You could pretty much pull it off a blade and stick it to another without any glue on the blade at all and it'd be good to go. I didn't put that particular glue sheet on but I appreciate the ease of use effect it has on that OX rubber.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
For sure this. I don't recall seeing one side labeled as the strong side but clearly it was there. Taking that sheet of my blade was the biggest pain in the A I've ever had.

heat gun and alot of rubbing with my fingers... Wonder if I should have tried a non-acetone finger nail polish remover now that I think about it. oh well.

I do have an OX sheet of 802 short pips laying around. By itself it'd be somewhat flimsy. But with that gluesheet on it, it gives the rubber a pinch of stiffness and it's perpetually sticky. You could pretty much pull it off a blade and stick it to another without any glue on the blade at all and it'd be good to go. I didn't put that particular glue sheet on but I appreciate the ease of use effect it has on that OX rubber.

Chinese glue sheets are shockingly bad and should be avoided at all cost. They typically have two mega strong sides that will wreck your blade. Donic, Tibhar and a few other produce glue sheets that are clearly marked and instructions are crystal clear. Fantastic product if you're using OX.

Reactions: suds79