Hurricane 3 both sides with hard and fast blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Hi,

I have a spare Donic ovtcharov carbospeed blade. It is a hard and stiff blade very fast blade but with good control. I wanted to experiment with it by putting hurricane 3 40 on forehand and 39 on backhand. I am using this hardness cz these rubbers are the spare rubbers that i have at home. I will boost the 39 hardness rubber for backhand with 3 layers of falco to soften it up. And use 2-3 layers for the forehand rubber.

I am thinking that this combo would be good as the blade can provide the necessary speed and hurricane 3 can help with good control and spin.Have any of you tried hard and fast blades with hurricane 3 on both sides? Please give your feedback. I hope this experiment turns out great. Please give suggestions and share your experiences.

Keep in mind Hurricane hardness is not measured on the same scale as most EuroJap rubbers, and a 40 degree Hurricane rubber is probably much harder than the rubbers you are using (unless you are also using Hurricanes measured on the same scale?)

A boosted Hurricane 3 is still a very hard rubber, the convention is that you use Hurricane 3 with a slightly softer blade so that there is some flex from the blade.

But if you play with very thin contact with heavy brushing, I don't see why it wouldn't at least be worth trying.

I'd be interested to see how you feel about if after you try it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
I am curious to try because i read Patrick's review on table tennis 11 blog. He was reviewing donic ovtcharov carbospeed blade with hurricane 3 40 hardness rubber. He was very happy with the setup. He wrote that :-

The DOC works very well with the tacky and moderately slow Hurricane 3 Neo, as the blade provides the speed and penetrating power, whereas the tacky rubber provides the necessary arc over the net. FH loop drives are a pleasure to play with the DOC, as they are facilitated by the blade’s fast and stiff nature and the huge sweet spot.

says Footwork footwork footwork
They make a 37 degree version of H3. I've never tried it, but I'm curious how it plays on backhand.

I’m not sure how available this rubber is to the public? Maybe you can share if you know where to purchase it?

I know DHS also makes 35-37 deg H3 and Skyline 3 rubbers with #5x sponges. So a bit more elastic but it’s in the mentioned hardness range.

I find them very good for a spinny/control BH game.

Edit: I’ve only tried those rubbers in 37 deg on a fairly flexible blade (Nittaku Acoustic in Chinese penhold).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
There are two options for H3 on BH. I have played with both:
1 - Provincial Neo H3 at 37degree
https://www.prott.vip/Product-Details.aspx?productcode=H350

Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 10.56.22 PM.jpg

2 - H3-50 at 37 degree
https://www.prott.vip/Product-Details.aspx?productcode=H350
Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 10.56.12 PM.jpg

Both are easy to play, linear response and great control. The differences are listed below:
  1. The newer batches of H3-50 is far less tacky. I literally mean 80% of the tack disappeared after few hours. The Neo H3 37 still has the traditional H3 top-sheet. The tack lasts a long time.
  2. The #50 sponge in H3-50 is more lively than the one in Neo H3. The #50 has better feel, easier to engage the ball. But the Neo H3 has more power and spin reservoir.
  3. Spin: the Neo H3 definitely way more spinny.