Hurricane 3 neo - some like it for BH some don't - why is this?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Oct 2019
Something I've come across recently.

Can anyone with experience share their opinions on this?

Some say they like the control and others say it's not a fast enough rubber for BH.

Something I've come across recently.

Can anyone with experience share their opinions on this?

Some say they like the control and others say it's not a fast enough rubber for BH.

Lots of control, and not fast enough are exactly the reasons for and against H3 Neo on backhand.

H3 Neo is a comparative hard rubber with very little catapult, making it both relatively dead to a front on contact with the ball and very linear. Both things that tend help control. Tackiness with it's slowness also helps with short touch play.

On the other hand, catapult tends to help power your shot when you are not taking a massive swing at the ball (which is pretty much all backhand shots) and allows you to play an aggressive stroke with a relatively small/weak stroke. A less dead rubber is also faster on the block, which means you can more be more aggressive by simply placing your blocks well, without having to offer much of a stroke.

It comes down to what you are looking for in your backhand rubber. (or for that matter any rubber)

People who are looking for control and linearity for consistency and the confidence to play a bigger stroke on the backhand and still be easily able to control the shot might like H3 neo.

People who are looking for a little bit of assistance on a less than maximum effort backhand (which is pretty much all backhands) and want more speed/spin for less effort will prefer something softer and with more kick.

This user has no status.
Last edited:
says Footwork footwork footwork
DHS Hurricane 3-50 is offered in 37 degree.
Another option that I prefer is the DHS Skyline 3-60 which is also offered in 37. (I believe 35, 37 & 39 variants are available).

These two are extremely controlled on the backhand offering lots of spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Potkettleblack
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I would explain the reason regular H3 or H3 Neo is hard to use on BH is how hard the sponge is. With a smaller stroke like a BH stroke it is harder to get the full use of the sponge and bring out the rubber's capabilities when the sponge is hard like that. This is also why H3 feels so much slower on BH whereas, on FH, if you have a good FH, it does not feel slow at all. You need powerful impact on contact with the normal (hard) versions of H3.

But the softer versions of H3 or Skyline with a 37-degree sponge, that are being talked about above are pretty good for BH.

Yinhe Mercury II medium, way more spin than skyline 3-60 and equal control.

I’ve tested with both and don’t agree. I think 3-60 offers more spin in my opinion.

I’ll ask some friends who have done the same and report back here.

quite unusual combo you have: H3 for FH and H3Neo for BH i suppose?

Yes, though I would not recommend it.

I will be switching to H3 Neo Mid forehand, and H3 Neo soft backhand shortly.

The combination of H3 and a relatively slow blade for the modern game creates an uncomfortably high throw angle. It's a constant mental struggle to remove almost all upward component from my forehand stroke.

I’ve tested with both and don’t agree. I think 3-60 offers more spin in my opinion.

I’ll ask some friends who have done the same and report back here.

So, my friend who is a Mercury II fanatic told me he believes the S3-60 is easier to control but is faster, where as the Mercs offer more spin, especially under spin pressure. It’s more of a Chinese style rubber.

In the end, also a viable and extremely cost effecting choice for the Bh!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
So, my friend who is a Mercury II fanatic told me he believes the S3-60 is easier to control but is faster, where as the Mercs offer more spin, especially under spin pressure. It’s more of a Chinese style rubber.

In the end, also a viable and extremely cost effecting choice for the Bh!

Sent from phone using Tapatalk

That is correct. The advantage though with mercury is that you can boost to the max and throw it away after 2 months, as it's only 25% of the cost of 3-60, and boosted it's better than 3-60 in all aspects. Also throw angle is higher, making it more suitable for carbon blades and looping from a distance.