What is the significance of ±3° in ENS rubber hardness

This user has no status.
I have been window-EJing (the window shopping of EJing?) for a while now. I noticed that rubbers from TSP and Victas, for example Regalis, Super Ventus, V>15, VJC>07 are stated to have x±3° OF hardness (whatever X is).

How much does the difference in hardness affect it's playing characteristics when it does vary? Let's say when you change to a new sheet?

How much does it vary? Is the bulk part of the hardness centred around X degree and, while sheets that lie within the ±3° regions are just few and far between? Or do rubbers have equal chance of having every hardness with in the 6° of range.

Rubbers from other manufacturers usually just stated to have 1 single value of hardness. How much variation should I expect from manufacturers that do not specify it. Does TSP have a huge variation compared to high end rubbers like tenergy and mid-high end rubber like Fastarc G-1.

Thank you for sharing any experience/knowledge you have on the matter. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Wister
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I think that this variation applies to all manufacturers when it comes to their commercial products. TSP (same company as Victas) is simply more honest compared to most others. Most of their sponges are marked with the thickness as for example "1.4 - 1.7mm".

Tenergy rubbers do vary too.
All rubbers vary.
But the deviation chart may be different for every producer.
Its a pitty that no one would show its production deviation chart.
Usually it would be something like
up to 1° - 60%
between 1°-2° - 30%
betwwen 2°-3° - 10%

Reactions: nivekkan
This user has no status.
I have been window-EJing (the window shopping of EJing?) for a while now. I noticed that rubbers from TSP and Victas, for example Regalis, Super Ventus, V>15, VJC>07 are stated to have x±3° OF hardness (whatever X is).

How much does the difference in hardness affect it's playing characteristics when it does vary? Let's say when you change to a new sheet?

How much does it vary? Is the bulk part of the hardness centred around X degree and, while sheets that lie within the ±3° regions are just few and far between? Or do rubbers have equal chance of having every hardness with in the 6° of range.

Rubbers from other manufacturers usually just stated to have 1 single value of hardness. How much variation should I expect from manufacturers that do not specify it. Does TSP have a huge variation compared to high end rubbers like tenergy and mid-high end rubber like Fastarc G-1.

Thank you for sharing any experience/knowledge you have on the matter. ;)

if you worry about the quality consistency of your rubbers what you can do is to weigh them which a digital kitchen scale or else. the closer the weight of 2 of the same v>15 extra for example the less difference between them

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
In engineering, the ± sign indicates the tolerance, a range of values that is considered acceptable, normal, and/or standard. Ideal vs actual values. It has to do with manufacturing yield.

Using langel's example, it could be something like the following for DHS.

Suppose the nominal value is 40° with a tolerance of:
<±1° - 1%, Nat
±1-2° - 9%, Prov
±2-3° - 90%, Comm

Reactions: nivekkan
Jan 2018
But in reality can we have a 50° or a 44° for a 47° rubber ? I would be surprise that it be this much not reliable as it seems to me the 2 rubbers would play very differently

Oh, definitely possible if the sample is large enough. Rubber is especially prone to variations during manufacturing due to humidity and temperature.

The owner of Sunflex(largest OEM in the world) in China has wasted millions of RMB on material because of that until their source supplier in Japan said WTH were you folks doing there and decided to help them out.

In "The Front Runner", Butterfly states that the QC actually took them much more time than the R&D for Tenergy.

There is a Japanese TV program on Armstrong, where the owner mentions the issue of QC.

Last edited:
Reactions: nivekkan and Wister
This user has no status.
In engineering, the ± sign indicates the tolerance, a range of values that is considered acceptable, normal, and/or standard. Ideal vs actual values. It has to do with manufacturing yield.

Using langel's example, it could be something like the following for DHS.

Suppose the nominal value is 40° with a tolerance of:
<±1° - 1%, Nat
±1-2° - 9%, Prov
±2-3° - 90%, Comm

Sad to see that TSP's top inverted rubber is on the commercial level but with an even higher price than the provincial level product from DHS.