1.8mm, 2.0mm or max thickness?

This user has no status.
I recommend not buying Mark V at all. There are modern rubbers with the same level of control, but better spin. Xiom Vega Intro 2.0mm sponge should be fine on an Allround blade for beginners.

(Apparently, Mark V was great when it came out in 1969 when used with the 38mm ball. It was also decent with 40mm ball when that came out. But... not good with the new 40+ ball). RIP Mark V and Sriver.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
It's true that mark V is bit old now but i know a lot of people that plays with it quite well so why not. But yes why not take a tensor that have the same kind of hardness (I have to say i don't agree with the goranH here :) Mantra H and rakza 7 would be way way faster than mark V)

About your initial question, personally i always takes 2mm or 2,1mm. I think it's a good balance

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
It's true that mark V is bit old now but i know a lot of people that plays with it quite well so why not.

A lot of older players still use these classic rubbers. And I wouldn´t advise a change necessarily.

But I think it´s time we stopped recommending old rubbers to new players. Today, learning table tennis with all the things that Mark V has seen come and go in its lifespan (speed glueing and change of technique, bigger balls, end of speed glueing, plastic balls) is easier and more effective with an entry level tensor.

Even if, like the guy asking for recommendations, you´re coming from a pre-made.

If it must be, take at least 2.0 mm. Everything else is just like taking a 1969 car to a 2019 race.

This user has no status.
I have only just registered with TTD, mainly because I am also curious regarding the pros and cons of sponge thickness for inverted rubbers.
Does anyone have definitive information regarding the % difference in speed, spin and control for the various thicknesses of any one rubber? I understand that this may vary from rubber to rubber depending upon the type of rubber and sponge but I have not even seen an approximation of the difference to assist in purchasing.
Presumably the manufacturers stats. refer to a standard (average used) thickness such as 1.9/2.0mm?
Help from someone with more experience would be appreciated.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Here you may find the answer you're looking for : https://pingsunday.com/effect-of-sponge-thickness-in-table-tennis/

About the stat manufacturers give, it's more useful in order to compare the different rubbers from a same manufacturer. But even looked like that, it's still not very relevant to understand the rubber. So in my opinion the stat they give are not related to any thickness, it's just a vague indication

This user has no status.
yes

Fastarc G1, Tenergy , Dignics, Evolution MX-P, Rozena, Vega Europa, V15 extra, Q5 are good rubbers. You can't go wrong with those. Other makers have similar rubbers.

If you're a beginner go with 1.7-1.8. As you get better (should take several years), you can increase to 1.9-2 and then maybe go for Max if you feel like it.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Learn to play with max rubbers or nearly max. Current 40+ balls really require it.

Mark V was good when I was playing in the 70s.

Much has changed since then!

Listen to yogi bear.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Learn to play with max rubbers or nearly max. Current 40+ balls really require it.

Mark V was good when I was playing in the 70s.

Much has changed since then!

Listen to yogi bear.

I don't agree. With max, beginners [first 2 years of TT/people not mastering the basics] can indeed learn to have a good topspin drive / loop, but in block and short game they will face a lot of problems which will hinder their growth. Just my 2cents

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
When in doubt, go for the middle: 1.9-2.0mm. If it feels too fast / not controllable enough, go down; if if starts feeling too slow, go up.

Personally, I think it's more about getting the right rubber for your level. In OP's case, I think Xiom Vega Intro in 2.0mm would be a good recommendation. If he jumped the gun and went with something above his level like Vega Pro or Rozena, then maybe 1.7-1.8mm would be more appropriate.

1.9-2.0mm in general in the plastic ball era seems like the right place to start. Personally, I play in 1.9 with my current rubbers, I've tried 2.1mm and they felt too stiff and heavy whereas I like the added control medium thickness gives me. I always try new rubbers in mid but if I liked them and they felt a bit too soft, I'd go max.

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Good players can play well with Markv to and i think if you are developing it is a good rubber. Players that already have good technique van and should go for faster. But it also depens on playing style.

I think the majority of players have to fast equipment.

says Footwork footwork footwork
Do you have a coach? If you have a coach, I’d recommend to go with nothing thinner than 2.0. Your coach should be able to teach you the right technique to control and utilize the sponge.

I believe if you learn early on to engage the sponge and use power from your legs and proper stroke mechanics, you’ll have a clean proper technique you won’t have to fix later on when you move to thicker sponges and have to learn how to actually engage your shots forward and not up (avoiding bottom out).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: