Advise needed from pros: new setup

says Thank you for the great info! I really appreciate it!!!
says Thank you for the great info! I really appreciate it!!!
Jul 2019
​​I'm amateur, played in the "basement" with friends as a teenager and came back to it 30 years later and enjoying it very much. In last several month I took number of group classes with Chinese coach and I'm improving ( trying to get rid of bad habits too), started to go to the club to teach my daughter and play there too a little. I'm probably advanced beginner, maybe early intermediate (I played with the guy around 2000 rating and he said I'm around 1000 rating or so). I play closer to the table, strong forehand but my topspin is more linear, fast though, working on my placement, trying to play all round game and looking for the opportunity to attack. At work, people I play with noticed my improvement.

Right now I have Sanwei Pro v5: 7 layers wood (medium hard), OFF- with Sanwai Target 90 fh and National bh.
I'm thinking to change my setup to to have a little bit more control and spin. There are 2 way I consider now:

1. Just the rubbers: FH: 729 Bloom Power 45H (there is 47H but I'm not sure if it will be too hard for me to control ???), BH: Rakza 7 Soft (1.8 or 2.0 ???) or there is new Stiga DNA Pro S 42.5H (1.9) or is there is something cheaper with same amount of control, spin, speed and durability? I would prefer some tensor rubber for BH)

2. Get another blade altogether with better control, I'm thinking about DONIC Appelgren Allplay Senso V1 ( 5 layers, ALL, ALL+ blade, more control, V1 a little more speed but it will be a little slower then the one I have, maybe better to develop proper technique ???) with 729 Bloom Power FH and DNA Pro S (I'm not sure if Rakza 7 Soft is too soft for this blade and again is there something cheaper with same amount of control, spin, speed and durability? I would prefer some tensor rubber for BH).

If someone has experience in coaching and (or) equipment or played with similar blades, please advise me what way to go. Thank you so much for your time!

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Get a setup middle of the road in speed and high on control.

Your blade isn't too egregious terrible. You look like you are in USA. You COULD just get control oriented offensive rubbers or you could get a slightly slower or similar speed blade with new rubbers.

email cole at colestt.com (not his email, just his name and website) and ask him about some stuff suitable for a player your level trying to develop an all-round offensive game.

Getting expensive gear at this point unimportant. Get something suitable and use it a couple years while you improve, then further optimize it at that point. Get two setups, it won't cost a lot at coles and you would have a backup. Avoid trying out stuff for now, just get the appropriate middle of the road gear and train away for now with guided reps getting coached.

You could likely get 2 complete bats, cases, balls, and a few accessories and come in under the price of one sheet of BTY Dignics.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
If you want a slower blade Appelgren Allplay is great choice. Finding a used one is good cost effective way. If you manage to buy good second hand blade, then you can resell it when you don't need it. If you don't want to that, you could also have the slower blade as a spare, or spare of a spare ;) or you cold also give it to your daughter when you are done with it.