Play Opponent with little weakness and good reach(fast)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Hello yesterday i played a young very tall opponent with extrem forehand grip and court coverage (30 years, i am 26)

his strong sides were:

@good short pendulum serves with little spin(no spin serve, and sometimes medium underspin) and a good reverse topspin serve as changeup, hard to push short (served mostly to the middle or backhand)

@very fast (long reach= good fh flip) and covers the corners very good

@fast footwork = good piviot that he often used

@very good reach/ court coverage ---- brings much more balls back as used
@solid recieve not so much pop ups, must returns were not very long (mostly half long)

weakness: not so strong backhand, you need to keep him short, but with his serve this can be a little troublesome

- what can i do ? on every side he was very solid, i had more power on the third ball but his consistence and good court coverage took my confidence and concentration, my chiquita and short game was very off on this day, and was mostly behind and must play with very high risk to get points,.... normaly i could overpower my opponent with my spinny serve and than could kill the third ball,

plan b: should used more spinny openings and better short game,...

maybe you could have some tipps :)

As with any forehand dominant player, exploit their far backhand corner. This is alot easier if you have a good backhand loop, as crosscourt backhand loop is the safest/best way to exploit this corner.

Push them into that corner, either they have to give you weak backhands which you can keep hammering into that corner, or they run around/camp in their backhand corner, then you switch to their far forehand corner.

Alternate your kills to far forehand corner and into the body, tall players often struggle with attacks into their body as it's hard for them to get out of the way.

All of this is much harder if your having an off day with your chiquita. A good over the table backhand game is pretty much the key to exploiting a forehand dominant game.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
As with any forehand dominant player, exploit their far backhand corner. This is alot easier if you have a good backhand loop, as crosscourt backhand loop is the safest/best way to exploit this corner.

Push them into that corner, either they have to give you weak backhands which you can keep hammering into that corner, or they run around/camp in their backhand corner, then you switch to their far forehand corner.

Alternate your kills to far forehand corner and into the body, tall players often struggle with attacks into their body as it's hard for them to get out of the way.

All of this is much harder if your having an off day with your chiquita. A good over the table backhand game is pretty much the key to exploiting a forehand dominant game.

thank you very much, i will use this in the rematch ^^

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I'm sorry, its very difficult to answer without a video. we have not much idea about the overall level, about your and his playstyle, your strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes what you think about yourself and your opponent and what you can see on video can be quite different as well.

as a general advice you should try to have enough serves and tactics and try them. Hopefully at least a couple ones will cause trouble. Same thing, you should be able to receive at least in 2 different ways every serve to get you into play.

Without changing much, focusing on some small details can make a difference in matchplay; when I'm in trouble i just try to focus on keeping a better stance and take the ball earlier when receiving. If i make mistakes against short serves, relax the grip and take the ball earlier usually helps a lot (if i can read the spin correctly)

When a guy has a strong pivot (notably penholders), i try to serve mainly on his FH side or receive/attack on his FH side first. I avoid the pendulum serve and will serve a little more from the middle of the table to cover against a down the line pivot receive.

looks like a good FH flick receive would be useful for you as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baal
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Yep. Last comment is correct. Impossible to know without seeing. More generally the problem with knowing what to do against good players is that they are good! They can protect their weaknesses and they don't beat themselves.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi