Difference between a Viscaria and a Xiom AZX Ice Cream blade?

This user has no status.
HI Everyone,

I was wondering what the differences in playing characteristics are between these two blades (Viscaria and Xiom AZX). I understand that the AZX has one side that is ZLC, but is that the only difference between the two in terms of materials used to make the blade? I was also wondering if one was faster, slower, more dwell, and so on. I'm just trying to gather some information on a Viscaria blade as I am thinking of trying that blade out as well.

Thanks,

Dave

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Hi, in equal wight, viscaria is a bit faster, more direct, a bit lower trow and less dwell time. Top ply is koto. Good luck.

Hi, in equal wight, viscaria is a bit faster, more direct, a bit lower trow and less dwell time. Top ply is koto. Good luck.

That is wrong. The zlc part of the AZX is already very fast and the ALC just in this case is even faster.

That is wrong. The zlc part of the AZX is already very fast and the ALC just in this case is even faster.

Agreed. In my little time hitting with the Ice Cream, I felt it was faster than my Viscaria. Thought it felt harder as well. Could be the rubbers that account for this as I don't recall what was the on the blade at the time. Think it was a boosted Hurricane.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 1 reviews
I'm currently trying out an Xiom Ice Cream AZX. With the same rubbers, compared to my Donic Ovtcharov True Carbon (which is very close to a Viscaria) the AZX is noticeably faster and harder feeling. The blades both weigh 88g.

I think the blade has a lot of potential for me, the ZLC side works really well with my short pips and the ST handle is the nicest I have used, however I think due to the speed I am going to wait until the end of the season before making the switch, as it will take more adjustment than I expected based on the construction.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 1 reviews
Try to check the alc side. It is faster than the zlc side in this blade alone.

Difficult for me to say without trying the blade with the same rubbers on both sides. The blade just feels generally faster, it could be the ALC side is slightly more so, but it is certainly only a small difference if this is the case.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Hi, I was mistaken, thought that top layer of AZX is limba. Top layer of AZX is koto too. May be AZX is thicker then viscaria ... i.e. faster.