Considering switch in blades YSE to JRE or XOS

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Hello TTD,

Lately, I was impressed by the responsiveness of this forum on a lot of topics regarding table tennis. I’m considering switching my table tennis blade, and I would like to know your opinions or experiences with any of these blades.

Some background: I’m an offensive topspin orientated intermediate player and I play like 3 times a week (including matches every season) for 9 years now. Since I started playing I’ve used blades like Andro All+, Spirit All+, and one year ago I switched to the Yasaka Goiabao 5. Unfortunately, that Goiabao blade felt like a brick. I couldn’t push heavy backspin or produce a slow controlled heavy spin shot. The pace of this blade was too high for me and I couldn’t control my shots. Last season, I moved to the Yasaka Sweden Extra and I think I became more “technical” and consistent than ever using this blade. It is good, however there are 2 odds about this blade. One, the handle feels kind of light, it doesn’t feel solid. Second, whenever I do my long stroke kill shot (hard offensive topspin), there is not as much spin and power as when I was using other blades and it often gets blocked like there was no spin.

I tested a lot of rubbers before and sticked to Donic desto F1 FH 2.0 and Donic desto F1 BH 1.8

Now I think it would benefit my game to give in a little of that great control of the YSE for some more solid feeling (little more weight) and kill shot power.

So I came up with 3 options:

• Order another YSE and ask for higher weight, for a more solid feeling and harder blade
  • Order the Joola Rosskopf emotion, for some carbon power on killshots, but “wooden” feel on touch shots
  • Order the Xiom offensive S – A closely related Petr Korbel blade, for more solid feel due to more weight and more kill shot through slightly more speed.

Unfortunately I don’t know any player in our club using these blade and testing it all is expensive.

What setup would you recommend?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I have a old Stiga OC made in the 1990s. Solid handle weight 93g. Massive spin and enough power. Power-wise, it's sitting between YSE and Korbel.

I also have a Virtuoso + handmade by OSP. Again solid handle and superb craftsmanship. Power-wise, it's equivalent to Korbel.

Let me know if you are interested in any of the blades.

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
Regarding your blades, I only tried the YSE also, I have however tried several other blades and like to study a bit on the material compositions and reviews of blades that interest me.

Xiom Offensive S has a classic Limba-Limba ayous composition, that will be significantly closer to the feeling of your current blade, same composition as TIbhar stratus powerwood also which I have tried, but a bit slower than that one but yet faster than your current YSE. ("the safe upgrade")

Regarding JOOLA Rosskopf Emotion, I've heard great things about this blade, I considered buying it several times, and it's probably the next blade on my list that I want to try out. A similar version to the one "Aruna Quadri" is using (world ranked nr. 20). However you should know that, the "woody" feeling in this blade will be quite a bit different from the "woody" feeling you're used to.
It uses a hinoki top ply, with Koto and Kiri as core. All of these are different from your blade and hinoki is pretty unique. (which can have both pros and cons)

Which blade is better suited for you depends on your playing style, if your topspinning game is highly close to the table counter and tempo shots inclusive early of the bounce (with topspin at closer distance) I would go for the Offensive S. If you like to break tempo, take topspins a bit later, or move to medium distance for topspins I would choose the Joola. (blocks will work well with both) You probably do all of these sometimes, but it's about the frequency you do them.

Both works for either still, just that limba vs hinoki has some slight edges over one another on these two slightly different playing styles. If your playing style is anything similar to aruna quadri and you want to try a brand new woody feeling, go for JRE, if you want just a safe small upgrade with similar feel, do Xiom OS.

Edit: Hinoki is also a beast spinner on slow shots (loop openings). I'm uncertain about the exact numbers.
But I'm pretty sure you will be able to generate slightly more spin with JRE than Xiom OS.

Last edited:

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Before you buy a new blade, why not add some weight to the handle of your YSE? Nothing to lose, right?

A grip tape, or even a beast mod (search the forums) will change the balance, add power, and make the handle more solid. If it doesn't work out for you, can still buy a new blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Which blade is better suited for you depends on your playing style, if your topspinning game is highly close to the table counter and tempo shots inclusive early of the bounce (with topspin at closer distance) I would go for the Offensive S. If you like to break tempo, take topspins a bit later, or move to medium distance for topspins I would choose the Joola. (blocks will work well with both) You probably do all of these sometimes, but it's about the frequency you do them.

Yes, I do them all by time. I like to slow loop, followed by a hard drive. Yet consistency was always a problem. I think I play quite close to the table, at least with my backhand. So I think the Xiom Offensive S, as UpSideDownCarl also suggested, might be more consistent in my game.

Before you buy a new blade, why not add some weight to the handle of your YSE? Nothing to lose, right?
I'm going to try this this as wel using grip tape!

Thank you for the response, very helpful.

Cheers