tackiness/stickiness

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
can someone who knows about chinese rubber characteristics explain the difference between these two words in physics(bear in mind that these two terms have the same meaning @ english dictionaries so any info from an expert would much be appreciated) and also in terms of play (aka spin!)

i made this thread because many people and even advanced players/coaches believe and told me that its almost the same thing (among of them is alois rosario from pingskills) . then i read a dhs tin arc 3 review and its characteristics was "slightly tacky" but "with much stickiness onto the surface of the topsheet"

what does this mean?i think tin arc 3 (never played with it) isnt as spinny as H3 or skyline2 because it isnt so tacky according to the reviews so if we had a hard sponge under tin arc 3 and the same hard sponge under the h3 , he h3 rubber will produce more spin . But reality is different because tin arc 3 has a very soft sponge (fastpaddle.com talked about sprin sponge technology similar to butterfly/tibhar) comparing to h3 sponge . Has anyone played both rubbers to give me full info ?

thanx very much in adnvance , sorry if my english are bad :cool::cool::cool:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
You are right :) Tackiness and stickiness is the same.
Tacky and grippy is two different thing.
Tacky means that the topsheet is sticky and slows down the ball unless power is used.
Grippy rubbers in the other hand needs to 'wrap' the ball to grip it and propel it forward, usually grippy rubbers are more bouncy compared to its chinese counterparts. This is called catapult.
Sponge density (hardness) also play a big role here.

H3 sponge is rather hard because it needs to compensate the slowness the tackiness bring while Jap/Euro rubber needs rather softer sponge to make sure that the rubber grip the ball enough.
Maybe Tin Arc 3 has both characteristics of both tacky chinese topsheet and soft japanese sponge, pretty much like Tibhar Legend :)

Thats what I know ;) Hope it helps!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You are right :) Tackiness and stickiness is the same.
Tacky and grippy is two different thing.
Tacky means that the topsheet is sticky and slows down the ball unless power is used.
Grippy rubbers in the other hand needs to 'wrap' the ball to grip it and propel it forward, usually grippy rubbers are more bouncy compared to its chinese counterparts. This is called catapult.
Sponge density (hardness) also play a big role here.

H3 sponge is rather hard because it needs to compensate the slowness the tackiness bring while Jap/Euro rubber needs rather softer sponge to make sure that the rubber grip the ball enough.
Maybe Tin Arc 3 has both characteristics of both tacky chinese topsheet and soft japanese sponge, pretty much like Tibhar Legend :)

Thats what I know ;) Hope it helps!

Good info Yosua. Tacky rubber spins the ball from the topsheet's tackiness (topsheet or tacky spin), and softer grippy rubber uses mechanical spin (when the ball sinks in so that there is more surface area of the topsheet in contact with the ball). In general, tacky spin is better for serves, short game and close to the table where you cannot take as big a swing, and mechanical spin is better when you are further back and can take a bigger swing. Mechanical spin is also better for a backhand loop then tacky spin which is why the Chinese National Team for the most part uses DHS rubber (Hurricane III NEO or Skyline III NEO on the forehand) and Butterfly Tenergy (05 or 64) on the backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I am just kidding Yosua, we were missing you in the chat lounge today while watching Wang Hao v/s Joo ...we were hoping you were hiding yourself as a guest :)
Sir, I prepared myself today from 8am to more than 3pm so I guess I deserve a little visit here :(
Anyways I've said that my visit will be GRADUALLY reduced from time to time so there will be a time when I can't be here :(

But there will be a time Zhang Jike rip his pants >: D
And I am still waiting..

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am just kidding Yosua, we were missing you in the chat lounge today while watching Wang Hao v/s Joo ...we were hoping you were hiding yourself as a guest :)

Funny. And nice to still have you around a little Yosua.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
can someone who knows about chinese rubber characteristics explain the difference between these two words in physics(bear in mind that these two terms have the same meaning @ english dictionaries so any info from an expert would much be appreciated) and also in terms of play (aka spin!)

i made this thread because many people and even advanced players/coaches believe and told me that its almost the same thing (among of them is alois rosario from pingskills) . then i read a dhs tin arc 3 review and its characteristics was "slightly tacky" but "with much stickiness onto the surface of the topsheet"

what does this mean?i think tin arc 3 (never played with it) isnt as spinny as H3 or skyline2 because it isnt so tacky according to the reviews so if we had a hard sponge under tin arc 3 and the same hard sponge under the h3 , he h3 rubber will produce more spin . But reality is different because tin arc 3 has a very soft sponge (fastpaddle.com talked about sprin sponge technology similar to butterfly/tibhar) comparing to h3 sponge . Has anyone played both rubbers to give me full info ?

thanx very much in adnvance , sorry if my english are bad :cool::cool::cool:

In addition to this. Why Japanese/European do not make their rubber sticky? And the Chinese must make it sticky, does it mean the Chinese can't perform without sticky rubber? Is there a rule in the ITTF handbook that does not care about stickiness of rubber? Would like to hear from all members.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Good explanation Yosua! In addition I tried both rubbers... In a comparison with the Hurricane 3, the Tin Arc 3 isn't that tacky at all. It has spring sponge technology as T05, but isn't as fast or spinny. I think is a fact that both Tin Arc's are made in China, but in May-June the Gold Arc and Gold Arc 3 are hitting stores. What rumor says, Gold Arc is made in China and Gold Arc 3 in Japan. Perhaps the Gold Arc 3 is going to have some of the same characteristics as Tenergies :) Time will show and I am definitely going to try a sheet out if I can save a buck :)

This user has no status.
Good info Yosua. Tacky rubber spins the ball from the topsheet's tackiness (topsheet or tacky spin), and softer grippy rubber uses mechanical spin (when the ball sinks in so that there is more surface area of the topsheet in contact with the ball). In general, tacky spin is better for serves, short game and close to the table where you cannot take as big a swing, and mechanical spin is better when you are further back and can take a bigger swing. Mechanical spin is also better for a backhand loop then tacky spin which is why the Chinese National Team for the most part uses DHS rubber (Hurricane III NEO or Skyline III NEO on the forehand) and Butterfly Tenergy (05 or 64) on the backhand.

So it isn't ideal to play with the same rubber on FH and BH? It's better to have a euro rubber an the Bh and a asian on the FH?