Older blades are better

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Hi,

Is this true that the more you use a blade the better it gets in terms of feeling and control? And is this is the reason that pros don’t change blades for a long time. Please let me know.

Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
The more you use it, the more YOU get used to it. The blade doesn't change much.

I sincerely hope this doesn't turn into a "wood drying over time", or "glue layers stabilizing", or "magical bond forming between blade and user" thread...Although the latter might be true!

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Well, it flexes more and becomes slower. Past a point, it takes more energy than ideal to get the same speed and spin.

In the old days, one could compensate for that with another layer or two of speed glue. In effect, you could tweak the speed/spin/feel ratio on the spot.

That doesn't really work anymore nowadays with water-based glue, but old habits die hard.

Jan 2018
Another factor is psychological effect. As the blade breaks in, the ball-blade interaction becomes more stable, and your internal physics engine would get used to it. You're essentially mapping the inputs to the outputs. So people tend to become attached to a blade after spending a long time with it because they've built an internal model for that blade, such that they feel comfortable with it and could rely on it since they know it inside out and could predict how it will behave.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baal

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
That and pros know changing their blade will not make them a better player.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
There are a couple of moments when the blade gets better: when it's brand new, then when you give it a name, and the third power up is when it aknoledges you as it's master and shows you all of it's abilities!

Reactions: Arsou29

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015

LOL I have cheap knockoff KT tape from aliexpress on my ankle right now. IDC if it is only placebo effect as long as it lets me keep playing through minor injuries.

But then I also buy lottery tickets and use a blade "made according to the principles used in making string instruments."

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Just letting a couple of my Viscarias in a closet for five years seemed to improve them. But all the stuff Zeio said is true also.

Is what I just wrote real or placebo? I wish I could say for sure.