PDA

View Full Version : Rubber shrinking?

Ognjen Ilkić
01-04-2020, 11:33 AM
Hey guys,

Reading through the forums, and some people say they have problems with shrinking rubbers. Since im going to, for the first time, glue my rubbers, do they mean they shrink while leaving them on the same blade, just after time they somehow shrink. Or do they shrink when you peal them off to reglue them, boost etc?

Also, when glueing rubbers, not much pressure is needed with a roller, just a light pressure enough to clear out any bubbles and secure a even fit on the blade?

(beginner questions, sorry :D)

Dream2K
01-04-2020, 05:59 PM
it would be unusual if they shrank while on the blade. once you start moving them from blade to blade, expect some shrinkage (rubber dependent).

light pressure while glueing is sufficient. I just use my palm over a sheet of printing paper.

Tobi0613
01-04-2020, 06:04 PM
Hi,

I observed they shrink after pulling them off a blade. The most shrink I got with Palio AK-47 yellow.
I dont know if its the glue, or the tension that is applied when you roll it onto the blade. Also my harder chinese forehand rubbers shrunk not / not visible to my eye. My training partner says his softer german rubbers like R37 shrink like 2mm on every side after pulling them off.

kind regards

Dream2K
01-04-2020, 06:17 PM
R42, V42 and V47 all shrank noticeably after moving to a different blade. V47 maybe shrank less than the other two.

Ognjen Ilkić
01-04-2020, 06:25 PM
Hope you guys dont mind if this becomes a "how to glue your rubbers" thread, but I have some questions about applying layers and cutting the rubber.

Some people use 2 or more layers of glue for the rubbers. Isn't 1 layer recommended and enough?

And some people say its bad to cut with scissors because they will pull the edges of the rubber off the blade. From what i've seen, it looks harder to do it with a cutter since it requires more passes through the rubber?

I plan on using Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 48 rubbers.

yoass
01-04-2020, 06:32 PM
One layer on the blade and one on the sponge works well for me, and I’ve glued many. I find the thinner layer creates the strongest bond.

Scissors work well. Cutting also. Some rubbers are easy to cut, but some sponges can crumble. Your cutting blade will go duller while cutting.

That said, like everything, both work well when executed with proper care and caution.

Dream2K
01-04-2020, 06:47 PM
I used to use 2-3 layers of Tearmender on sponge and 1 layer of rubber cement on the blade. Recently, I reduced Tearmender to a single layer and it also works great.

Some sponges and blade surfaces are less sticky than others and may need an extra layer of glue.

brokenball
01-04-2020, 07:05 PM
Wait for the rubber cement to dry before attaching the rubber to the blade.
Don't stretch the rubber when putting it on the blade.
Simple.

yogi_bear
01-04-2020, 07:23 PM
Try cutting the rubber before applying the glue. At first the rubber will exceed the blade size but when you remove it from the blade and reglue it, the size is actually almost perfectly fitted.

tomeh
02-01-2020, 09:41 AM
Shrinking is often tuned but don't fry from sticking it on the board. Rather, something must work, unless with the effect of tension (Świecie keju) then it can be different.

6Finger
02-01-2020, 07:34 PM
If you can wait open the packaging and leave it for a few days, most of the tuner will evaporate and rubbers will shrink less later.