Rubber shrinking?

This user has no status.
Hey guys,

Reading through the forums, and some people say they have problems with shrinking rubbers. Since im going to, for the first time, glue my rubbers, do they mean they shrink while leaving them on the same blade, just after time they somehow shrink. Or do they shrink when you peal them off to reglue them, boost etc?

Also, when glueing rubbers, not much pressure is needed with a roller, just a light pressure enough to clear out any bubbles and secure a even fit on the blade?

(beginner questions, sorry :D)

says Ballin
Hi,

I observed they shrink after pulling them off a blade. The most shrink I got with Palio AK-47 yellow.
I dont know if its the glue, or the tension that is applied when you roll it onto the blade. Also my harder chinese forehand rubbers shrunk not / not visible to my eye. My training partner says his softer german rubbers like R37 shrink like 2mm on every side after pulling them off.

kind regards

This user has no status.
Hope you guys dont mind if this becomes a "how to glue your rubbers" thread, but I have some questions about applying layers and cutting the rubber.

Some people use 2 or more layers of glue for the rubbers. Isn't 1 layer recommended and enough?

And some people say its bad to cut with scissors because they will pull the edges of the rubber off the blade. From what i've seen, it looks harder to do it with a cutter since it requires more passes through the rubber?

I plan on using Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 48 rubbers.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
One layer on the blade and one on the sponge works well for me, and I’ve glued many. I find the thinner layer creates the strongest bond.

Scissors work well. Cutting also. Some rubbers are easy to cut, but some sponges can crumble. Your cutting blade will go duller while cutting.

That said, like everything, both work well when executed with proper care and caution.

Reactions: Gwenved
Try cutting the rubber before applying the glue. At first the rubber will exceed the blade size but when you remove it from the blade and reglue it, the size is actually almost perfectly fitted.

Last edited:
Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Shrinking is often tuned but don't fry from sticking it on the board. Rather, something must work, unless with the effect of tension (Świecie keju) then it can be different.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 1 reviews
Here is an interesting visual comparison between a German ESN rubber (Tibhar MXP) and a Chinese one (Spinlord Wyvern). They had both been on the same blade, since new, for exactly the same amount of time and were removed last week.

rubber-shrink-1.jpg

They were fitted by Tabletennis11, so it would be fairly safe to assume they were done correctly, but to check I found another ESN rubber (Andro Hexer Powergrip) that I had fitted to a blade of the same size. Admittedly, this was removed some time ago and had been sitting in a drawer ever since, but it shows even more shrinkage.

rubber-shrink-2.jpg

Reactions: zeio