How to clean Chinese rubber

I find a wet rubber sponge does the job pretty well(as in a sponge made from rubber foam, not some sort of sponge just for cleaning rubbers) as it doesn't leave behind any cloth fibres.

The key is to remove all the random dust/fibres stuck to the surface. This is very hard to remove with a dry or damp cloth/sponge, so I find a genuinely wet sponge helps. Be careful you are only cleaning the topsheet and not getting water into the sponge.

You will need to dry the topsheet thoroughly after removing all the dust/fibre, squeeze out the water from the sponge REALLY hard so the sponge is very dry and absorbent. I find using warm water helps too, as the last bits of water will evaporate off (don't use very hot water, you might damage the rubber, only has to be warm).

Then chuck a non-adhesive protective sheet on top, and you are done.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Probably all you need is a little water on a sponge to get the dust that will accumulate on the tacky surface of the topsheet to come off. These days I actually just pour a few drops of water on my hand to clean the topsheet. You can feel with your hand pretty well if there is still dust on the topsheet as you wipe.

But another thing is how you store the blade when you are not using it. A plastic sheet on your topsheet will protect it from dust. But when there is a plastic sheet on a tacky topsheet, it actually causes the rubber to get slightly tackier. They sell plastic sheets specifically for this. But I don't think you need those. Any plastic sheet will be fine. I use ones I got off of report covers.

The finished side of the cardboard from the packaging most rubbers come in will work as well. Just cut it to the shape of the rubber.

I use these:

8236624947b022222b7d7366b35b615b.jpg

5e7254e1a8273cb42610945637a922d6.jpg

In the first picture there is a stack of them. In the second, I am holding one up.

Those work really well.

If your topsheet really loses its tackiness, then you leave one of those on it for a month and it will be quite grippy again. Spreading a very thin layer of baby oil on the topsheet before you leave the plastic sheet on the topsheet for a month would make it even more tacky.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Just to add: if you are playing a tournament or in any other sort of multi-match environment, you will find that tacky rubber gets dusty as the time goes on. This why you see the pros breathing on the rubber and wiping it with their hands during the games. In between matches, have a towel handy and do the following: wet your hand with water. Then wipe the hand across the rubber. Then dry your hand on the towel. Then wipe the hand across the rubber again. Repeat with the dry hand until all the water has gone from the rubber (might take a few moments). Then use the plastic cover until the beginning of the next match. (The only problem with this is if you are allergic to latex. I have a slight allergy, and it causes not only an irritation in my hand, but also sometimes a nasal reaction. So I need to have anti-histamines before a match.) The great advantage is that the process is quick and can be performed anywhere, and the hand is very sensitive to dust particles, which are the cause of the tackiness loss.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
The first couple of days regardless of how you clean the rubber, it will get less tacky a little bit, especially if it’s commercial version. But then it’ll stay in that condition for a while. I use filtered water with a spray and a normal rubber cleaner sponge. Don’t use the Brand water cleaning liquid too regularly (if you do), it’ll make the rubber look glossy and less grippy over time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Yes, I've found that to be the case, too. I'm wondering though, what is the mechanism behind it...?

>>You should cover the rubber after cleaning and drying. Once you do not clean it even with just water it will dry up and lose tackiness.

This user has no status.
Wiping with clean dry hands after sprinkling a few drops of water on the rubber lifts dirt and dust and other particles. Placing a plastic sheet on the almost dry rubber creates a vacuum with a fine layer of moisture that evaporates leaving behind a very high grade vacuum seal. At this stage the topsheet and sponge has some trace oils that make the rubber tacky. Vacuum pulls these oils to the surface restoring the tackiness. This will wear off eventually but can take up to several years if done carefully and properly.

Btw this is just my conjecture at this point. I am not a chemical or materials engineer or scientist.

says Hi, I am a life-long table tennis enthusiast and...
Mar 2014
Somewhat by coincidence I shot a video the other evening related to this topic. I have had mixed results covering my H3 with plastic sheets, and actually prefer to place it in my airtight blade box without plastic cover sheets. I like to think that very little oxygen reaches the topsheet, leading to minimal oxidation (obviously, the blade shown in the video has not seen a box in a LONG time :)):

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Somewhat by coincidence I shot a video the other evening related to this topic. I have had mixed results covering my H3 with plastic sheets, and actually prefer to place it in my airtight blade box without plastic cover sheets. I like to think that very little oxygen reaches the topsheet, leading to minimal oxidation (obviously, the blade shown in the video has not seen a box in a LONG time :)):

Not sure why people think olive oil is a good idea. Baby oil or mineral oil would work better. Also think you might have seen better results from the WD40 if it was not so close to the handle. But it still would not give the results that you got from the R3 bio cleaner.

From the standpoint of the TT rule you referred to, applying any of those including the bio cleaner would be against the rules. But I am not so sure those rules matter if you are not entering an ITTF Pro Tour tournament. It is also worth noting that, almost all pros seem to break those rules by boosting. So, probably that rule should be changed. Not much harm in putting any of those things onto the topsheet of a rubber.

I left this out, but if you put one of those things on and then put a plastic sheet over the rubber, by the next day, it will be, a little more tacky than the results you got. And if you left it with the sheet for a week, it would be more tacky still.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
I must admit to being very surprised by the results with RevNo3. This is way more tacky than would be obtained using just water, so there must be something else causing it. I'd like to try it, but it is not easily available in the UK, AFAICS. Unless someone knows?

Mar 2014
Not sure why people think olive oil is a good idea. Baby oil or mineral oil would work better. Also think you might have seen better results from the WD40 if it was not so close to the handle. But it still would not give the results that you got from the R3 bio cleaner.

From the standpoint of the TT rule you referred to, applying any of those including the bio cleaner would be against the rules. But I am not so sure those rules matter if you are not entering an ITTF Pro Tour tournament. It is also worth noting that, almost all pros seem to break those rules by boosting. So, probably that rule should be changed. Not much harm in putting any of those things onto the topsheet of a rubber.

I left this out, but if you put one of those things on and then put a plastic sheet over the rubber, by the next day, it will be, a little more tacky than the results you got. And if you left it with the sheet for a week, it would be more tacky still.

We have had a protracted discussion on MyTT (http://mytabletennis.net/forum/topic87474_page5.html#1088864) what constitutes boosting, and more specifically violation of (ITTF Rule 2.4.7 The racket covering shall be used without any physical, chemical or other treatment). This included a discussion of whether or not cleaners represent "Chemical treatment of a racket covering". As a chemist and someone who has been an expert witness in patent lawsuits (and thus has seen how such language would be argued and construed), reading ITTF rule to the letter would suggest that all cleaners are illegal, much to the dismay of some MyTT forum members (although the spirit of rule might allow water-based cleaners). I don't want to rehash or restart the discussion here, but simply state the the ITTF rule is unclear (e.g., are any type of water-based cleaners allowed), illogical (factories are allowed sell boosted users but users are not allowed to boost - or treat topsheets with oil or oil-based products since this may constitute "treatment"), and largely unenforceable (no test exists to detect boosters, except for the VOC-sniffer and measurements of rubber thickness/evenness).

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Mar 2014
I must admit to being very surprised by the results with RevNo3. This is way more tacky than would be obtained using just water, so there must be something else causing it. I'd like to try it, but it is not easily available in the UK, AFAICS. Unless someone knows?

TT11 sells and ships worldwide

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
We have had a protracted discussion on MyTT (http://mytabletennis.net/forum/topic87474_page5.html#1088864) what constitutes boosting, and more specifically violation of (ITTF Rule 2.4.7 The racket covering shall be used without any physical, chemical or other treatment). This included a discussion of whether or not cleaners represent "Chemical treatment of a racket covering". As a chemist and someone who has been an expert witness in patent lawsuits (and thus has seen how such language would be argued and construed), reading ITTF rule to the letter would suggest that all cleaners are illegal, much to the dismay of some MyTT forum members (although the spirit of rule might allow water-based cleaners). I don't want to rehash or restart the discussion here, but simply state the the ITTF rule is unclear (e.g., are any type of water-based cleaners allowed), illogical (factories are allowed sell boosted users but users are not allowed to boost - or treat topsheets with oil or oil-based products since this may constitute "treatment"), and largely unenforceable (no test exists to detect boosters, except for the VOC-sniffer and measurements of rubber thickness/evenness).

I agree with you on this. I also don't think that rule is something that matters if you play for your own recreation.