How To: Adhesive Table Tennis Rubber Covers for Pennies Per Sheet

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I've been a fan of adhesive protective sheets for some time now as well as some other club mates of mine.

Problem with these are is that they get dirty/grimy relatively quick and they're overpriced IMO. For example a local carrier I know of is currently offering Butterfly's adhesive sheets pack of 2 for $5. That's not even factoring in shipping. SMH. Forget that.

Anyways, onto the how to get something nearly just as good for a fraction of that cost I've been doing for some time now with good results and I like a lot.

Supplies:
- scissors (you probably already have these)
- former rubber packaging ( I know you probably have these laying around somewhere.)
- Round large shape of a blade
(I'm using a paddle my brother 3D printed for me but you could use anything here. Just has to be slightly larger than your current blade)
- From Walmart, laminate shelf adhesive paper roll. It's meant to go on say your kitchen shelves. I found this rather bland brown roll for $2. I estimate I can cut about 30 racquet covers with this.

tt_01.jpg

Trace your shape & cut out.

tt_02.jpg

Here's why you need just one former rubber packaging. This paper is flimsy. It's just a sticky paper. When you take them off your blade to play, you need some place to put them right? Stick one to each side of this covering. Pictured here I have a cutout of a old Long Pips I use to have.... Do not stick the adhesive papers together.

tt_03.jpg

And voila. All done.

tt_04.jpg

You have a good adhesive sheet you can keep on your racket for a week or for 6 months. Doesn't matter. Whatever works for you.

They're cheap to replace.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Nice DIY solution! Thanks for sharing, I'll have to give this a try.

I use the Nittaku protective sheets and have to change them every month or two. They cost $2 per 2 sheets (and shipping), but it still feels expensive and is annoying to have to reorder a bunch of them every few months.

Last edited:
Reactions: suds79
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
Nice DIY solution! Thanks for sharing, I'll have to give this a try.

I use the Nittaku protective sheets and have to change them every month or two. They cost $2 per 2 sheets (and shipping), but it still feels expensive and is annoying to have to reorder a bunch of them every few months.

You don't have change them or throw them away. Just wash them a soapy sponge with dishwasher liquid and water and will be good as new. The glue of the sheets doesn't come off.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
Please pardon my ignorance. Just curious what is the advantage of using adhesive protective film, since I have not used it before. I typically clean the rubbers after playing, and store the racket in a nice case with plastic inner lining. Is that not sufficient? Thanks.

it keeps the rubber protected against dust and oxidation (not 100% but helps).