Soft vs hard rubber on backhand

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Hi,

I have been using andro R53 on both sides for about a month. It is perfect for me on forehand. It is okay for me even on backhand to punch and block with but when out of position it is tough to loop on backhand side as it is not very forgiving.

But, I am confused regarding soft vs hard rubbers on backhand. I saw Dan's tenergy 05 fx review with kreanga. Kreanga said that he likes to play with tenergy 05 fx on backhand as even when he is out of position it is easier to play with it than hard rubbers. On the other hand Dan said in one review that dignics 05 is way easier to use than tenergy 05 on backhand as it is hard, has low throw and very linear. So out of the two rubbers which way is safest for a person who is developing a backhand and mostly punches and blocks and would like more control. A hard sponge or a soft one? Please give your opinions.

Thanks.

says thank you for your response.it was very helpful.i really...
says thank you for your response.it was very helpful.i really...
Mar 2018
I am not a great player,so my opinion is not the rule.I can tell you only what makes me feel more comfortable with the equipment i use.I have the hardness of my FH rubber as a quide for the BH.What i mean is,if i feel comfortable with a certain hardness on FH,i simply put 2-4 degrees softer sponge on BH.As my level is developing,i raise the hardness of both rubbers equaly.I dont know if this tactic is good,but it works fine with me.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Softer rubbers on BH usually makes it easier to use.

The BH stroke is so much smaller and you do not use the body to the same extent on BH as on FH so, most people do not get the same kind of impact on BH. As a result, usually, for most people, a slightly softer rubber on BH is useful.

Reactions: DmitriyBoll
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Hi,

I have been using andro R53 on both sides for about a month. It is perfect for me on forehand. It is okay for me even on backhand to punch and block with but when out of position it is tough to loop on backhand side as it is not very forgiving.

But, I am confused regarding soft vs hard rubbers on backhand. I saw Dan's tenergy 05 fx review with kreanga. Kreanga said that he likes to play with tenergy 05 fx on backhand as even when he is out of position it is easier to play with it than hard rubbers. On the other hand Dan said in one review that dignics 05 is way easier to use than tenergy 05 on backhand as it is hard, has low throw and very linear. So out of the two rubbers which way is safest for a person who is developing a backhand and mostly punches and blocks and would like more control. A hard sponge or a soft one? Please give your opinions.

Thanks.

Tenergy 05fx is a great BH rubber. Great control, so easy to open up against backspin. Regular Tenergy 05 is quicker and less controlled.

I previously used Dignics 05 on BH and found it harder to open up compared to T05fx. The stroke had to be perfect to get best out of it. If you are still developing I would go with T05fx.
Having said that punching and blocking with Dignics 05 was fantastic. According to review Dignics 80 is easier to use than Dignics 05 so that may be option. But personally I think T05fx is fab if you like softer rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Is D05 more grippy than tenergy 05?And is D05 a more linear and a more controlled version of tenergy 05?
Tenergy 05fx is a great BH rubber. Great control, so easy to open up against backspin. Regular Tenergy 05 is quicker and less controlled.

I previously used Dignics 05 on BH and found it harder to open up compared to T05fx. The stroke had to be perfect to get best out of it. If you are still developing I would go with T05fx.
Having said that punching and blocking with Dignics 05 was fantastic. According to review Dignics 80 is easier to use than Dignics 05 so that may be option. But personally I think T05fx is fab if you like softer rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Is D05 more grippy than tenergy 05?And is D05 a more linear and a more controlled version of tenergy 05?

Definitely!!! It’s slower than T05. I have it now on spare blade on FH. But the control is incredible compared to T05. On my main blade I have T05 on FH and T05fx on BH. On spare blade I have Dignics 05 on FH. Dignics80 is supposed to be even better so I am considering it on my FH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Moreover does it stay grippy for a long time like 3-4 months if one plays 3-4 times a week?
Definitely!!! It’s slower than T05. I have it now on spare blade on FH. But the control is incredible compared to T05. On my main blade I have T05 on FH and T05fx on BH. On spare blade I have Dignics 05 on FH. Dignics80 is supposed to be even better so I am considering it on my FH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
So rubber like tenergy 05fx will offer the most control on backhand? Moreover how long does 05 fx last ?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So rubber like tenergy 05fx will offer the most control on backhand? Moreover how long does 05 fx last ?

Most control? Not really. Okay control, maybe. All of the Tenergy rubbers are harder to control than, say, Mark V. But they are much more advanced rubbers than Mark V. But, more control than a rubber like R53? Probably.

Since everyone is different, it is hard to say.

Do you have any footage of you playing? It would make it easier to see if you are using equipment that is good for your game.

I feel like T05FX and FXP are very good for MY backhand. I can and have used harder rubbers on BH as well. But I like softer better. But it would be hard to tell what would be good for you without seeing you play, seeing what you are doing. A short video, approximately 30 seconds long with 15 seconds of FH and 15 seconds of BH would probably be enough to tell if T05FX would be good for you.

BTW: for me, T05FX lasts a good long time. But everyone is different with things like that as well.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Hey Carl,

I have posted links to my videos. Please let me know.
Most control? Not really. Okay control, maybe. All of the Tenergy rubbers are harder to control than, say, Mark V. But they are much more advanced rubbers than Mark V. But, more control than a rubber like R53? Probably.

Since everyone is different, it is hard to say.

Do you have any footage of you playing? It would make it easier to see if you are using equipment that is good for your game.

I feel like T05FX and FXP are very good for MY backhand. I can and have used harder rubbers on BH as well. But I like softer better. But it would be hard to tell what would be good for you without seeing you play, seeing what you are doing. A short video, approximately 30 seconds long with 15 seconds of FH and 15 seconds of BH would probably be enough to tell if T05FX would be good for you.

BTW: for me, T05FX lasts a good long time. But everyone is different with things like that as well.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think T05FX will be better for you than what you are using. It may give you more confidence trying to open up with BH against backspin. During topspin rallies your BH seems fine. When your opponent gives long backspin to your BH, you push. The T05FX will likely make looping those more possible.

Technique is good though. I would be a little calmer and play your offensive shots a little less all out. 60-70% rather than 98-110%. :)

In the second video, you can see your opponent open with high, slow spinny loops on BH against backspin. You want to start working on that kind of opening. It will help you immensely and T05FX will definitely make shots like that much easier than the harder rubbers you are using now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Thanks.But will tenergy 05fx still allow me to punch a block like r53?I like r53 only Cz it’s very linear and easy to punch block with.I don’t want to lose these properties but need a bit forgiving rubber and the ease of opening against backspin.

So will 05fx cover all these things?
I think T05FX will be better for you than what you are using. It may give you more confidence trying to open up with BH against backspin. During topspin rallies your BH seems fine. When your opponent gives long backspin to your BH, you push. The T05FX will likely make looping those more possible.

Technique is good though. I would be a little calmer and play your offensive shots a little less all out. 60-70% rather than 98-110%. :)

In the second video, you can see your opponent open with high, slow spinny loops on BH against backspin. You want to start working on that kind of opening. It will help you immensely and T05FX will definitely make shots like that much easier than the harder rubbers you are using now.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks.But will tenergy 05fx still allow me to punch a block like r53?I like r53 only Cz it’s very linear and easy to punch block with.I don’t want to lose these properties but need a bit forgiving rubber and the ease of opening against backspin.

So will 05fx cover all these things?

Personally, I would worry much less about your punch block. You are good at it. But it is a low skill level shot. If you are good at it and you choose rubber for it without considering how you are not comfortably opening against backspin, the opening against backspin will keep you stuck at the level you are for much longer because that harder rubber is much harder to open with.

However, for me, I did not feel punch blocks were a problem with T05FX and I know some pretty good players who have pretty good punch blocks with BH who use T05FX for BH. So, I don't think it should stop that. I just would consider, your opening vs backspin on BH is a much bigger issue that you need to focus on than any shot vs topspin from either wing.

Your opening and loop on FH side are good. If you take care of your BH opening and your confidence with that shot, you will go up a few levels and you may also find yourself looping some of those balls on BH that you may previously have punch blocked because of the extra spin and power from the BH side when you improve the BH opening.

So, look at the big picture. But I feel that shot should be fine with the softer rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Thanks a lot .I will practice opening on backspin and as you suggested will go for a softer rubber tenergy 05fx on backhand for ease of topspin.It was very helpful.
Personally, I would worry much less about your punch block. You are good at it. But it is a low skill level shot. If you are good at it and you choose rubber for it without considering how you are not comfortably opening against backspin, the opening against backspin will keep you stuck at the level you are for much longer because that harder rubber is much harder to open with.

However, for me, I did not feel punch blocks were a problem with T05FX and I know some pretty good players who have pretty good punch blocks with BH who use T05FX for BH. So, I don't think it should stop that. I just would consider, your opening vs backspin on BH is a much bigger issue that you need to focus on than any shot vs topspin from either wing.

Your opening and loop on FH side are good. If you take care of your BH opening and your confidence with that shot, you will go up a few levels and you may also find yourself looping some of those balls on BH that you may previously have punch blocked because of the extra spin and power from the BH side when you improve the BH opening.

So, look at the big picture. But I feel that shot should be fine with the softer rubber.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl