Critique my technique and my match

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Hello, here is a match of me (playing in maroon t-shirt, left handed) against a high ranking player in Karachi. This in the Round of 16 match of a Karachi Ranking tournament.

Although I have beaten him before, this match was taken from my fingertips and I lost 2-3 after being 2-0 up.

Equipment I used was Butterfly Timo Boll ALC
FH: T05
BH: Stiga Mantra M

Please give me pointers of what I'm doing wrong with my technique and how I can improve my match strategy and overall gameplay.

https://youtu.be/_I7-kBU-Nb0

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
I think there’s a big difference between the quality of your strokes and the quality of your footwork. You often lose balance and have to play out of position. So the main thing I would practice is footwork.
Try regular drills first (1 fh from fh, 1 fh from middle)
To make it harder you can then play half regular exercises like 1 or 2 fh, 1 middle and later irregular.

Also try to have your center of gravity a bit in front of you, as if you would almost fall forward. This will make it easier for you to move.
Rope skipping could be an additional exercises which you’d benefit from.

Reactions: Muhammad Saim
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
I think there’s a big difference between the quality of your strokes and the quality of your footwork. You often lose balance and have to play out of position. So the main thing I would practice is footwork.
Try regular drills first (1 fh from fh, 1 fh from middle)
To make it harder you can then play half regular exercises like 1 or 2 fh, 1 middle and later irregular.

Also try to have your center of gravity a bit in front of you, as if you would almost fall forward. This will make it easier for you to move.
Rope skipping could be an additional exercises which you’d benefit from.
I try to do the drills you suggested.

I have also started skipping rope since this match

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
I may be blind but in the first game you seam to be lower on your legs, have more stability. I think later on you were more upright which decreases stability (at least for me). I have a tendency to get more upright when I am exhausted, maybe you have similar issue as me. Think about it when you practice next time, if needed adjust. Also skipping rope as mentioned before will help, it helps building stamina. It's great you are doing it. I do it every morning before leaving for work for 20 minutes, It helped me a bunch.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
I may be blind but in the first game you seam to be lower on your legs, have more stability. I think later on you were more upright which decreases stability (at least for me). I have a tendency to get more upright when I am exhausted, maybe you have similar issue as me. Think about it when you practice next time, if needed adjust. Also skipping rope as mentioned before will help, it helps building stamina. It's great you are doing it. I do it every morning before leaving for work for 20 minutes, It helped me a bunch.
You're right. I got too tired at the end. Also the shot I missed at 2-2 10-9 left me feeling defeated. And at 10-10 I gave two points consecutively :(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
You're right. I got too tired at the end. Also the shot I missed at 2-2 10-9 left me feeling defeated. And at 10-10 I gave two points consecutively :(

Then stamina workout will be helpful. I do run 6km few times a week and skip the rope as mentioned before (I am still fat though). This is very very weak training but that's what I can afford timewise. I think people on this forum will recommend a much better solution to this problem. If however no one picks up the topic then consider some interval training, I used to do in the past and it was efficient time/effect.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015

I apologize for commenting without having watched the entire match, but had you already used your timeout when it got to 10 - 10 in the fifth?

Much easier than improving your stamina is to improve your fighting spirit. You felt defeated, like we all do if we have match point(s) and don't convert. But that feeling was false. It was two points for the match and you had an equal chance. But if you are thinking still about the point before of course you will lose the next two. It is the most critical moment and your attention is not fully on the point you are playing now.

A timeout would have been best, but even if you didn't have one you can just walk away for a few seconds and clear your head. Come back to the table ready to fight for the next point.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hello, here is a match of me (playing in maroon t-shirt, left handed) against a high ranking player in Karachi. This in the Round of 16 match of a Karachi Ranking tournament.

Although I have beaten him before, this match was taken from my fingertips and I lost 2-3 after being 2-0 up.

Equipment I used was Butterfly Timo Boll ALC
FH: T05
BH: Stiga Mantra M

Please give me pointers of what I'm doing wrong with my technique and how I can improve my match strategy and overall gameplay.

https://youtu.be/_I7-kBU-Nb0

You have really good touch and arm speed, but you overuse your arms and underuse your body compared to better players. This is why your footwork suffers as you don't get into the backswing on the forehand and backhand as part of your movement.

Your weakest stroke is probably your backhand topspin vs backspin, you don't drop the body/back or squat and that leaves you vulnerable to pushes to your backhand since you just push back. You should at least get the racket slightly below table height and use circular technique if nothing else.

I couldn't watch the whole match but those were the main things I saw.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
I apologize for commenting without having watched the entire match, but had you already used your timeout when it got to 10 - 10 in the fifth?

Much easier than improving your stamina is to improve your fighting spirit. You felt defeated, like we all do if we have match point(s) and don't convert. But that feeling was false. It was two points for the match and you had an equal chance. But if you are thinking still about the point before of course you will lose the next two. It is the most critical moment and your attention is not fully on the point you are playing now.

A timeout would have been best, but even if you didn't have one you can just walk away for a few seconds and clear your head. Come back to the table ready to fight for the next point.
You are right! But I had already used up my timeout

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
You have really good touch and arm speed, but you overuse your arms and underuse your body compared to better players. This is why your footwork suffers as you don't get into the backswing on the forehand and backhand as part of your movement.

Your weakest stroke is probably your backhand topspin vs backspin, you don't drop the body/back or squat and that leaves you vulnerable to pushes to your backhand since you just push back. You should at least get the racket slightly below table height and use circular technique if nothing else.

I couldn't watch the whole match but those were the main things I saw.
You're my backhand vs backspin is my weakest point and I'm really trying to improve my technique. I'll take your advice into practice and get my arm below table height and use my legs to accelerate.