Blade + Rubber Advice

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Get the 1.8mm intro because the w6 may be a little fast for you but probably when the rubber wears out you can get the 2.0mm version. This is assuming you are a beginner or have been playing recreationally.
I've been playing since Aug pretty much every day at work and occasionally go to league nights at a local gym. Would you still consider getting 1.8mm?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Still depends on your skills. How is your loop against chop and how is your control. What was your racket before?
thats probably my weakest point right now is trying to loop against heavy backspin. My hits usually go into the net, with the occasionally one making it over. my control is pretty good, i can dictate pretty easily where i wanna send the ball. I'm pretty bad at explaining things so let me know if you have any further questions

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
thats probably my weakest point right now is trying to loop against heavy backspin. My hits usually go into the net, with the occasionally one making it over. my control is pretty good, i can dictate pretty easily where i wanna send the ball. I'm pretty bad at explaining things so let me know if you have any further questions

Different people have different opinions on how to handle things. Thinner rubbers is an option. I would say, a slightly slower blade without making the rubbers thinner.

If you are, as you describe, a player who needs to learn the skill of looping backspin, ether, thinner rubbers on that blade, or a slightly slower blade with 2.0 or even Max (Vega Intro) would make sense.

It is worth working on and learning the skill of spinning (looping) backspin (not hitting it).

I would suggest a blade like Donic Appelgren Allplay or Stiga Allround Evolution and whatever thickness of Vega Intro rubbers you want.

Those two blades would be slightly slower than the W6 but worth getting. I could use either blade as my main blade and not have an issue. But those blades will help you a little more with learning skills like looping backspin.

What about the two most basic strokes everyone should learn first:
Forehand drive and backhand push.
Are you able to play at least 10-15 forehand drive constantly with good control?
Talking about looping an underspin ball is in my opinion something you would learn after maybe one year of training with a good coach.
My advice: Stiga Allround Classic/Applegren Allplay with Mark V on both sides.
This will last at least one year and after that, you can switch to something like Vega Intro.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Different people have different opinions on how to handle things. Thinner rubbers is an option. I would say, a slightly slower blade without making the rubbers thinner.

If you are, as you describe, a player who needs to learn the skill of looping backspin, ether, thinner rubbers on that blade, or a slightly slower blade with 2.0 or even Max (Vega Intro) would make sense.

It is worth working on and learning the skill of spinning (looping) backspin (not hitting it).

I would suggest a blade like Donic Appelgren Allplay or Stiga Allround Evolution and whatever thickness of Vega Intro rubbers you want.

Those two blades would be slightly slower than the W6 but worth getting. I could use either blade as my main blade and not have an issue. But those blades will help you a little more with learning skills like looping backspin.

Would the Stiga Allround Classic work as well? It says the Evo version is no longer available on megaspin.net. What would be the major differences between 1.8 and 2.0 rubber? Should I get 2.0 if I'm going to continue using that down the road?

Last edited:
If you are in the beginner level, your main concern is not producing tons of spin nor tons of speed. It is more important to develop strokes, touch and feel especially with looping or contacting the ball. I have taught a lot of players how to loop the ball even with just a pre made bat with a less grippy rubber at a thinner sponge so it is fine.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Would the Stiga Allround Classic work as well? It says the Evo version is no longer available on megaspin.net. What would be the major differences between 1.8 and 2.0 rubber? Should I get 2.0 if I'm going to continue using that down the road?

If they don't have Allround Evolution, I would choose the Donic Appelgren Allplay over the Stiga Allround Classic. But the Allround Classic is fine too. I just like the Allplay better.

Also, between 1.8 and 2.0, based on the level you described, I am not sure there is much difference for you.

Here is how I would explain the difference:

Thicker sponge is better for spinning the ball but harder to control when you make direct contact.

Thinner sponge is easier to control when you are making direct contact (not creating heavy spin with tangential contact) but it also tends to reward direct contact and is a tiny bit harder to learn spin contact with thinner sponge.

If you had a coach, you would be able to learn to spin the ball with any thickness. If you are working on your own, it might be easier to use thinner sponge. But it would also make it harder for you to learn to get more spin. I do feel higher level technique is largely about making spin contact for many players at your level.

So with either thicker or thinner, there is a give and take.

Also, how merlin el mago described thinner vs thicker: that is usually how it is presented. But it is not accurate.

On flat hits, thinner is faster because the sponge adds cushioning. But it is harder to spin the ball with deep contact with thinner rubbers because you end up bottoming out and hitting the wood.

With thicker rubber, it is harder to control direct contact and thicker sponge will be SLOWER on direct contact because the extra sponge adds cushioning which makes the ball slower. There are videos which show this. On a flat block, thinner sponge is notably faster. The same would be the case on a flat hit.

But the thicker sponge allows you to use the sponge to help you generate more spin. And that allows you to swing harder while making tangential contact. So that, with thicker sponge and high level technique you can swing harder, spin more and get a more powerful shot that arcs onto the table because of the extra topspin.

So, when you are skilled at spinning, you can spin the ball and create a faster shot with thicker sponge. But the sponge is not what is making the faster shot. It is the extra effort that the sponge allows you to add without risking missing the table.

Reactions: splasher78
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
I think you should get vega intro 2.0 thickness because you said you want to use it down the road. With enough practise I am confident you can learn how to loop backspin in 1-2 months with vega intros on any all to off- blade. I have swiched from a premade 30 euro donic bat to xiom vega x max on both sides on off- blade and it took me only 2 weeks to adjust and now I have it for a bit more than a month and have no troubles keeping my shots on the table and I have improved a lot.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl