New setup... please help!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
Hi, I'm looking for a new setup and have been reading equipment reviews for a few weeks now. I've been playing for about 4 years and am getting to a decent level (play in a local club league) and at the same time I'm still working on fundamentals. For the past two years I've been using a stiga oc cr wrb with xiom vega asia on both fh and bh. My blade is pretty light, I think 78grams and was wondering how different a heavier blade would be as I'm looking to get a touch faster? Also, I've only played harder sponge rubbers (current rubber is the softest yet) but am interested in trying a softer sponge, wondering about advantages/disadvantages? I tried a mark V rubber a couple times and struggled controlling pushes around the net, which scared me into less bouncy rubbers. I'm basically an allround player and still working on skills, I'd like to get a new set up that is a touch faster and still controllable and good for continuing to improve skills. I was thinking wood 5 ply ALL+ or OFF- blade and rubbers that are good for allround and my skillset.

blades I've been considering are:
- stiga celero (is this to much of a weight change?)
- stiga intensity nct (is this too fast?)
- cornilleau hinotec off-
- butterfly primorac
- butterfly korbel (is this to much of a weight change?)

rubber considering:
- butterfly rozena
- xiom vega europe
- xiom vega pro

Based on what I've read, if I were buying today I'd get the stiga celero with butterfly rozena rubber. Thoughts?

I'd like to make a change but not one that will be so drastically different that it takes a long time to get used to. Any info/suggestions about listed equipment or other suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Rozena or Vega Pro would be fine for many players on most if not all the blades. Hundreds others fine too.

Whatever you end up with, its gunna be new and some adjustment.

Once you have played a number of years and slap on a new rubber on your current blade, you know what it does. Same for a new blade with same rubbers you have been using.

None of the combos you are suggesting are too far away from the controlled offensive class, which is probably the center of mass you are aiming for.