Full Set-up advice after some considerable research

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Hey everyone, I hope I can get your opinion on buying a setup.

First, I will address my skill level. Unfortunately, I don’t have any videos of myself playing- I would film but as we know, it’s quarantine right now. However, I have played about 2 years. I have taken it seriously since September 2019. I played 6 days a week, and received coaching 2-3 of those days for about 2-2.5 hour sessions. I would say my technique is decent and my fundamentals are solid. A big weakness of mine is that in gameplay, I don’t trust myself, and tend to just start playing passively as opposed to the proper stroke which I had been taught.

I live over on the west coast of the US, and when I started playing, my coach set me up with a fastish 7 ply blade (Samsonov force pro), and some medium tensors. I never cared much for equipment and so I just used it, but I think the set up is too fast and not allowing me to play how I want in anything besides a repetitive drill.

If this is useful info, I am about 20, and athletic so footwork and those things would be available for my playstyle. I am a shake-hand player. I am definitely planning on getting serious over the next decade or so at least. I want to train hard at least 5 days a week, and buy a setup that would hold strong for me as I progress.

I am thinking about avoiding tensor rubbers as I really want to have the control from tacky rubbers.

Right now, here is where my research has led me:
Considerations for purchasing a new set up, (the bolded items seem more suitable for me)
Blade: Tibhar Stratus Power Wood (I would ask for one around 87g, on the lighter side as the dense rubbers seem heavy and I don’t want to have a super head heavy bat), Stiga all-around classic
Forehand: Hurricane 8 mid-hard(2.15 or 2.2?), Sanwei Target National
Backhand: Yasaka Rising Dragon(2.0 or max?), Yasaka Rakza Z (2.0)

I am going on something where I can get a lot of feeling, and hence the above blades. I want to be able to have a full swing and trust my control of the ball (with practice of course). Right now I feel like my setup is preventing me from doing this. I have tried to break this mental barrier and have trouble, because there feels to be so little dwell time upon contact and I just can’t control my placement.
My backhand play, I actually don’t have any idea what works for me. I don’t mind my current tensor setup for that, but thought it may be interesting to try a hybrid tacky-tensor rubber.

Thanks for any advice you guys may have!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Based on what you have said, Stratus Power Wood sounds like a good choice. Xiom Offensive S would probably be a good choice too. Not the Allround Classic though. I would take that off your list; at least based on what you have said and what you are switching from. That dramatic a change from sort of fast to slow slow slow would probably make you buy something else after 3 hits even if the Allround Classic was okay for you. And especially if you are pairing it with tacky rubbers.

The rubbers....have you ever tried any of them?

I actually recommend, when people are able to go to clubs and play, get a lot of people to let you try what they are using. It will give you an idea of what will be good for you.

If you have never used H8, it would be worth trying before you buy. Some people love it. Some the opposite. Worth knowing which person you are before getting something. Theories are great in theory. But trying something and seeing how it works for you is much better when you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: splasher78
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
One thing to consider when looking at Chinese or hybrid rubbers is if your coach is capable of teaching you the proper technique as this differs quite a bit compared to euro/jap rubbers. I would consult your coach before switching to tacky rubbers.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl