New set-up review: Calibra Lt Spin, 802-40 (pips), Donic Waldner Dotec AR+

This user has no status.
Here is the review I promised to make. The review is about my new setup I bought partly with advice from the tabletennisdaily forum. My previous setup was Friendship R.I.T.C. 799 (short pimples) (BH), Stiga NEOS Tacky (FH), Donic Bauw Sawtek AR (cork). Now my new setup is Friendship R.I.T.C. 802-40 Super soft pro version (short pimples) (BH), Stiga Calibra LT spin (FH), Donic Dotec Waldner AR (cork/carbon).
Taking the new setup out of the packaging was great. Everything look perfect and the Calibra felt super soft. I used the “illegal” old school glue to paste it on my blade. I had a problem with my 802-40 pips. When I applied the glue, the rubber bend. It bended so much that the top part of the rubber lost contact with the blade. After removing the excess rubber and re-pasting it, the pips were on great.

Blade Donic Dotec Waldner AR+ (€51,-):
Waldner_Dotec_AR.jpg

This blade is different than normal blades. First of all the handle is curved to fit your hand. Secondly the weight is ridiculously low. The handle works fine for me, but because I like to twiddle sometimes it’s not perfect. The blade is not comfortable when holding it upside down. I now tend to twiddle only on serve, but not during the point (maybe I change it later). The low weight is perfect. With the rubbers applied the blade is top heavy and makes it really easy to play very good spin. In comparison with my previous blade it is much faster. The sound you get when you hit the ball makes is different but very stylish.

Good points: Speed, control, sound.
Bad point: No more twiddling.

Stiga Calibra LT Spin (Forehand side) (1.8 mm) (€37,-):
calibra.jpg

This rubber is totally different from what I experienced before. The amount of spin you can generate is staggering, but the control you have is the thing that is most special. In combination with the Donic frame there is no hard working anymore. It gives you a special feeling when you make a very hard spin shot, but I don’t think that is the best and effective way to play. I released when I focused on played the shot perfect without caring about the speed my opponent couldn’t return my shot. The deadly amount of spin with the pinpoint accuracy. Because you have that much control blocking shot from the opponent is not hard. But because of the sound and the feeling you have from playing a topspin ball I didn’t want to block. I just played a spin shot over the opponents spin shot. Not very hard just right and placed on the right part of the table. The only disadvantaged I found with this rubber is the push. Keeping the ball low is not really a problem, takes some time to understand how. The problem is the amount of backspin generated. There is not a lot of it. This makes it not very hard for your opponent to attack your push (if it is not short enough).

Good points: Amount of spin, MEGA control.
Bad point: Backspin push.

Friendship R.I.T.C. 802-40 Super soft pro version (short pimples) (Backhand side) (1.8 mm) (€14,-):
80240.jpg

Despite the problem getting the pips on the paddle I there is not a lot of bad things to say about these pips. The pips are a bit bigger than the 799 and are placed a bit further away from each other (more space between pips). In combination with the blade it is easier for me to play a spin shot with these pips. No problem with receiving serves, most serves you can attack. In comparison with the last pips I had (FS 799) I can generate much more spin with these pips. I really noticed this playing long push. With the FS 799 after pushing twice or 3 times the ball couldn’t be controlled in a way to keep it low. Now with the 802-40 I can push the ball low with backspin. The biggest problem I had with my previous pips were the chop. Chopping was very difficult and mostly the ball would fly all over the place. With the 802-40 I have the feeling that’s much easier to play that kind of shot. The same problem I had with the 799 was a hard smash. I have problems placing it on the table. I don’t feel a big difference with the 802-40 (maybe I need to train a bit more on it).

Good points: Nice pips blocking quality’s, lots of spin, great control.
Bad points: Applying the rubber on the paddle, full power smash.

Overall:
Very good setup to generate lots of spin and keep massive amounts of controll.

(This review is written mostly on own experience, prices are including taxes and delivering costs)

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Yesssss!!!! You took my opinion into consideration and got yourself the 802-40 pro!!:) I remembered telling you about it after I had a game with a bloke using it. Nice:)... He was flicking my backspin at his will. It wasn't the fast flick, but , enough to keep me off balanced. It takes a bit to get used to it, but since you're an old hand to short pips, I don't think it is a major problem for you.

As for the Calibra, it seems most have problems with pushes. Getting good spin on the ball is not a problem (as you know when you do a FH loop), but the same applies when you do backspins. It's the angle of the bat. Too horizontal with your push, the ball will pop up. Take the ball early if you want to do an aggressive push. It works for me all the time. Don't worry, you'll get your range buddy:)..

And finally, congratulations on your newest baby!!! Hhahahaha:p

This user has no status.
Yesssss!!!! You took my opinion into consideration and got yourself the 802-40 pro!!:) I remembered telling you about it after I had a game with a bloke using it. Nice:)... He was flicking my backspin at his will. It wasn't the fast flick, but , enough to keep me off balanced. It takes a bit to get used to it, but since you're an old hand to short pips, I don't think it is a major problem for you.

As for the Calibra, it seems most have problems with pushes. Getting good spin on the ball is not a problem (as you know when you do a FH loop), but the same applies when you do backspins. It's the angle of the bat. Too horizontal with your push, the ball will pop up. Take the ball early if you want to do an aggressive push. It works for me all the time. Don't worry, you'll get your range buddy:)..

And finally, congratulations on your newest baby!!! Hhahahaha:p

yeah i chose the 802-40 because it's not that different from the 799 i had. I really like the blocking quality from that rubber. This new one the 802-40 has the same blocking capacity, but because of the super proffesional soft version it has so much more attacking power in spin. I also have no problem opening with my backhand from backspin balls. I will try your tip about changing the angle of the bat. The problem is that the ball will go up higher and is hard to place low over the net with an more horzontally angly. Thx for the congratulations im happy with my new Baby. I cannot get enough from the sound when i do a forehand loop, that sound is simply brilliant.

This user has no status.
Yeah, don't forget the sound :) Did you notice anyone looking your way when you hit a hard FH smash?? In a training hall, it can be quite distinctive:)..a head turner.

haha Yes! They asked whats wrong with your paddle. Do you even have rubber on it. When you spin the sound is nice, but when you hammer it. OMG! I was amazed every time I hammered it. Most in the traininghall wanted to try it out. :):) so nice.

In our traininghall we have 2 seperate rooms. 1 has 4 tables. So the first smash I made was not only a suprise for me but everyone looked and 1 guy even said: Did you already broke it? Hahaha!