Help me find a new blade that goes well with H3

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2011
Hey everyone :) currently I'm swithching from using tenergy on my forehand to now using hurricane 3 provincial 40 degree. I currently have a butterfly alc but feel like the hurricane is too hard when combined with this paddle. I got used to the softness of the tenergy so I'm thinking an all wood paddle would provide the feeling and softness and control I'm looking for. I find with the alc + tenergy it's hard to control with Chinese style stroke, which is why I'm looking to change to H3. I will still use tenergy for my backhand. I have tried the hurricane king and found it was pretty nice. Also I was recommended that the stiga clipper cc would be a good match for this setup. Any ideas?

When I was in china, multiple Chinese players commented that the Alc with hurricane 3 is not a good setup. After trying it for a while I tend to agree. Too had of a blade to go with the hard sponge of the hurricane.

All suggestions are welcome!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
havent tried clipper cc but the old clipper wood pairs well with it the only con that i noted was the clipper is a heavy blade paired with a heavy rubber (H3) the over all set up is really heavy and it strains my wrist, for composite blades i like MMaze and TBS pairing with H3 i dont know about the hardness of blades fitting with H3 but in my experience YEO with H3 is a formidable set up, it gives spin and speed to H3, just my opinion though

This user has no status.
Stiga Tube Allround blade is awesome, very good control, enough speed, just some flex to get a better dwell time. I find this blade better than my Waldner Senso Carbon i played with for 3 years.

I now play this blade with a Friendship 729-2 sensor rubber (only 1,8 mm) which is a hard sponge rubber ( i estimate it to be 45 to 47 ish) and the control is great, you just dont have to expect hyper speed though !

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If you are going from a rubber like Tenergy to H3, probably what you are going through is that it takes a while to get used to how different the rubbers are and how you need a completely different technique and ball contact with the H3. Last June I switched to Skyline 3 on my forehand from Tenergy 05. It took about a month to get used to. A few months later I switched from Skyline 3 to Hurricane 3. It took me no time getting used to that because the rubbers are very similar. With Tenergy you use the sponge and as part of how you get spin and let the ball sink in more. With Hurricane the sponge is hard, the ball will not sink into the sponge the same way. The rubber is less forgiving when you don't know how to use it. Once you are used to it, it is very forgiving. Once you are used to it, Hurricane feels good on pretty much everything.

I use it on a Clipper which works well for me. I have used it on a Donic Persson Power Play, works well. I have used it on a Butterfly Viscaria, Timo Boll ALC, ZLF, ZLC, Innerforce ZLF. It felt good on all of them. I have used it on a Cornilleau Hinotec All+, Off-, Off, Off+. It worked well on all of them.

But it takes time to get used to how different Hurricane is than Japanese style rubber because it is very different.

You should do a search on line for a comparison between mechanical spin and topsheet or tackyness spin. My guess is, rather than the blade, that is the trouble you are having.

Which Butterfly blade with ALC are you using?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2011
I'm using the Timo Boll ALC with tenergy on the backhand and H3 on the forehand. I also went from tenergy to skyline 3 then to h3. I spent some time in china training the chinese style of play and find that using the H3 actually works better for this style of play. I've been working hard to adjust from the softer sponge to the harder of h3, and am finally coming around. The reason I don't care for the Timo Boll AlC that much is I feel it has less feel then an all wood blade. I went ahead and ordered the stiga clipper cc, since I've heard so many good things about the clipper series and was personally recommended the cc by a friend who is knowledgeable and knows my game well.

I also find the more I use h3 the more I like it :) its a great rubber!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I'm using the Timo Boll ALC with tenergy on the backhand and H3 on the forehand. I also went from tenergy to skyline 3 then to h3. I spent some time in china training the chinese style of play and find that using the H3 actually works better for this style of play. I've been working hard to adjust from the softer sponge to the harder of h3, and am finally coming around. The reason I don't care for the Timo Boll AlC that much is I feel it has less feel then an all wood blade. I went ahead and ordered the stiga clipper cc, since I've heard so many good things about the clipper series and was personally recommended the cc by a friend who is knowledgeable and knows my game well.

I also find the more I use h3 the more I like it :) its a great rubber!

Well I happen to love the Stiga Clipper Classic and find it works great with H3. The Clipper CC is a fairly new blade from Stiga. You will have to tell us how you like it and how it feels with the H3.

I believe the Clipper CC is the same wood as a Clipper Classic but there is a think layer of crystal carbon (or perhaps veneer would be the right term) between each ply and a crystal carbon surface. So it should play a lot like a Clipper Classic but be faster. That might very well be a better blade for you than the Timo Boll ALC.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Got the CC yesterday and played with it. Very nice so far. It is a bit slower then my ALC and had a lot more feel. The construction is very good and it feels very nice! Thanks for all the help guys!

A little bit slower, but a lot more feeling is a good combination. I personally do not mind generating the power myself. :) I would go with a blade that has more dwell time, more control and more feeling over a blade that is faster but you sacrifice those any day. I am glad that the Clipper CC is working out for you so far.