Should I change rubbers or nah?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Read 1 reviews
Hello everyone!

I've been watching and reading a bunch of equipment reviews during quarantine and Stiga Genesis caught my attention.
I'm once again thinking about trying out a new rubber (as I might buy new rubbers soon anyway), but I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not.

My previous setup was: Azalea Allround + Mantra M on both sides.
At the moment I'm using Azalea Offensive and DNA M on both sides. I've used this setup for around 3 months.
DNA definitely doesn't feel right on my backhand and I'm pretty sure I'll go back to Mantra M.
On my forehand DNA felt pretty comfortable, but I still miss some things about Mantra, mostly on my serve and recieve game. I like DNA a lot better on open-ups and topspins though, probably because of its grip.
What I thought was: Genesis might have better grip and offer better control, so it should help with what I feel might be lacking in my game.

My questions are:

Is 3 months of playing enough to know what I like and don't like about a setup?
Can my preference for Mantra on serve and receive be because I was used to using it (or maybe because of its low responsiveness to spin)?
How does Genesis compare to my current rubbers (how is its responsiveness to spin, what is its throw angle like)?
Does trying Genesis (what version?) make any sense or is it just my EJ inner self?

Please help me not to make a stupid decision again.

1. Yes, well at least for me 3 Months is enough. I may be wrong though
2. Of course, your preference on equipment is largely influenced by the one you have used the most. There are some instances where I stuck with a particular set-up for a long time and then when I try different rubbers it just doesn't feel right. The change from Azalea All to Off maybe one of the factors that makes the DNA rubbers feel wrong. That's why I don't really recommend switching both blade and rubber at the same time there is a lot of adjustment required especially when a player is in the developing stage like me. I would have used the mantra on my new blade. I could also be wrong here since I haven't tried Azalea All and OFF I don't have any idea how big of a difference there is.

I can't comment on both of the rubbers differences for I didn't get a chance to try the Stiga Genesis or the Genesis 2. I only tried the Stiga Mantra M before.

Last edited:
Reactions: GusShnaps
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
If you have to ask, that means you already made up your mind.

Grass is always greener on the other side, even after you hopped over the fence.

Reactions: adi and GusShnaps

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Nah to the OP. But you know you will anyway. Buy two diff ones so you get more.ejing done. You're gonna play the same anyway. Get one Genesis and one DNA.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
You could've stopped there. I just asked for some help you know.
I really don't understand why people always give these types of answer here.

Hi Gus, don't take this the wrong way, but if you are curious, the only cure is to try it for yourself.

For some people, 3 minutes is enough to know if they like a rubber or not. For others, simply touching or even looking at the cross section is enough to form a basic hypothesis.

I'm not sure what level you are at, but your skills will improve regardless of what equipment you try out. If you have money to burn, buy and try as many as you can. If not, then stick with what you have and keep working. The result will be the same.

BTW the Genesis is a softish tacky rubber, very sensitive to spin.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
We have SEVERAL MILLIONAIRES (Like USD $1,000,000) in our club who show up to the club daily, wear the same $2 USD white t-shirt, and have not changed their rubbers in TEARS... and they collectively play a little above or below club average...

Obvious conclusion from this data...

Don't worry about changing your rubber if you are not ready to spend the precious $8 to $50 USD per sheet.

It's OK, you can still be average and fit in just fine.

This user has no status.
Has anyone that has played with DNA and Genesis compare both rubber please?
What are the main differences/advantages/disadvantages to each one?
Hey, Gus. Tim here. Here's a overall on both rubbers.
So Genesis is a hybrid rubber. That means that it has a tacky/sticky top sheet. If you have tried Dhs Hurricane rubbers you will understand this characteristic very well. DNA is a European rubber that means the top sheet is non-tacky. Here is a small review on the Genesis advantages/disadvantages being a hybrid
Genesis
Advantages/Disadvantages: Yes you do get slightly more control, but lose out on speed. Spin does increase if you brush the ball very well. One thing I found with the Genesis though is that it is hard to finish easy point. The sponge doesn't really pop when you need it to and vice versa. Short game is very easy, mid-distance is insanely hard.
Speed:Off - Off+
Control:7.5/10
Made for: Close to table.
DNA
Advantages/Disadvantages: Good rubber for one time use, after it loses its' own speed and control. Boosting helped a lot. one thing i did find lack in my game though was its blocking game. My blocks I'd say are one of the best if not the best in my club, but this rubber is just to dang fast.
Conclusion
I don't know how you play, but Genesis is more for the close to the table looper/driver player, while as to DNA is more for the mid-distance all round player. I personally will say this 3 months is definitely not a good amount to KNOW your preference in rubber. Just know this though there is no perfect rubber out there. I know this for sure, because I have played for 4-5 years and never saw someone play for 1 year say, "This rubber does everything for me." You definitely have to put time and effort in a sport to become good. Sport is really not about who spends the most money is the best. So find a rubber you are willing to stick with, but I would recommend staying away from Genesis and DNA for the time being considering you played the set-up for 3 months. I would recommend: Xiom Vega Pro, Tibhard Evolution Fx-S or P right now to actually know what you prefer.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
What about Genesis vs DNA M?

DNA M is faster. Genesis is a Chinese rubber, it is NOT a hybrid rubber. It may have euro characteristics but it is a pure chinese rubber.

I played with Genesis II M, never with Genesis, and tried DNA Pro S and H. I am not completely sure but I think Pro S is faster than Genesis II M, at least the g2m right off the package, except the proper Chinese looping where the speed of g2M goes up. Dna Pro H is definitely faster in all aspects. But in terms of spin, g2m is surely better than both S and H, It's probably the spinniest of all the Stiga rubbers of recent years - it comes with some serious spin, and it's a hybrid type of rubber, however a pretty slow one

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I personally will say this 3 months is definitely not a good amount to KNOW your preference in rubber. Just know this though there is no perfect rubber out there. I know this for sure, because I have played for 4-5 years and never saw someone play for 1 year say, "This rubber does everything for me."

off course you won't find your favorite setup in 3 months, but imho 3 months is more than enough to know if you like a particular rubber or not. If you didn't get used to it in 3 months, chances are it's not the one for sure