Badminton/Squash etc shoes vs TT shoes

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Hi everyone :)

I've been looking around for a new pair of table tennis trainers, and it's proving difficult because I have huge feet (UK Size 13). Not many shoes come in this size and the ones that do are pretty expensive.

I've heard that badminton, squash, indoor court shoes are just as good, and these seem pretty cheap when I've been looking around too. Would they be suitable? I don't want to get them and then not be able to move because they're too heavy or slow! If they're OK, what sort of brands should I be looking at? Would squash shoes be better than badminton or indoor court shoes? I have no idea, please help!

Cheers guys

This user has no status.
I play with Addidas indoor shoes, they are almost identical to the Addidas TTennium (or something like that) shoes, they are comfy, durable and stable, and grippy, with non-marking soles !

They have almost the same construction as the table tennis shoes. I had previously also the asics indoor shoes and they were very good too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Thank you for the reply! I had a quick check on the Addidas website, are the Opticourt Ligra shoes the one ones you mean? (Not allowed to post links yet...) They look pretty similar to the TTennium, and have a lot of good features as you say.

This user has no status.
Thank you for the reply! I had a quick check on the Addidas website, are the Opticourt Ligra shoes the one ones you mean? (Not allowed to post links yet...) They look pretty similar to the TTennium, and have a lot of good features as you say.

Yes , that's almost identical to what i play, good quality also, light , and enough dampening (i have a bad back and knees), i think you cant go wrong with these. BTW Jean-Michel Saive plays shoes like this (i have seen it myself in Belgium during a match in the Super Division).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Great! I made a mistake though, I got so happy that I finally found a pair that cheap that I didn't check the sizes, they only go up to UK 9. I'm going to keep on looking to see if they sell them in a UK 13, they're perfect :)

If anyone else has any other suggestions then it would be great too, I need a new pair ASAP!

Thanks again

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
I've already checked around for Mizuno's, I've not seen any in a UK13. They were my first choice for a new pair too, they look really nice and lots of people have suggested them.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
My sister has volleyball shoes. She likes them, but the soles look too thick and the heels are too high and cushioned. They do not seem right.

Probably squash or badminton shoes would be best. But if you cannot find the right size, you might try this. It seems an odd suggestion but I think they might work well.

Skateboard sneakers, the simple ones, like the low end versions of Vans, are made so that the sole of the shoe is thin so you are low to the ground and can feel the board under your foot. The sole is wide so you can grip the board, and the tread is simple but grippy so you can grip the board. Not the skateboard shoes that are designed for looks, but the ones that are designed for function. They might work well. They would be a little heavier than the table tennis shoes I wear. But, I think they might work very well if you cannot get something designed for table tennis, badminton or squash in the right size.

This user has no status.
Anyone seen anyone play in these? These have been around for years! They still make them.

aaaHiTecSquashClassicWhtG_2597779.jpg

This user has no status.
I personally wear Vibram Five Finger shoes, really grippy although it takes time to learn to play in an almost barefoot style.

Oh there is another benefit....... Way to often I caught my opponents out as they are thinking about my shoes rather than the game.... Lol.

Steve

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
Those five finger shoes look really ridiculous !! Would have been nice in the movie "Balls of fury".
The opponents are just trying not to laugh, you must look like a complete dork in those ! LOL
Please do not make our sport more ridiculous by wearing those shoes :confused:

Phil

Sent from my KAYFO using IE

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Anyone seen anyone play in these? These have been around for years! They still make them.

These shoes look good.

I kind of like the way those five finger shoes look. And they are supposed to be really good for your feet. I know someone who plays with those. He is a decently high rated player as well.

This user has no status.
Carl is right, it's about posture, foot positioning and the fact they weigh next to nothing. My foot work has vastly improved since wearing these.

A good example is that two of my juniors have now started wearing them, their footwork has improved greatly and their GB ranking now puts them in the top 30 in the UK.

And as for style on the court, I'm too old to worry about that and to be honest..... If that's all its about then I wouldn't trade the five fingers for any other shoe.

Steve

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk