What is the BTY equiv of my HL5? (Expert help needed)

says Not for sale, I liked it actually
says Not for sale, I liked it actually
May 2018
I know there's many different kind of HL5 and they might change their dimension or even composition between years so here's my HL5 serial: HL5-AGAAXGF 027

So here's my questions:

1. What are the wood/carbon composition of my HL5?
2. What is the BTY equiv?
3. BTY offense blade have 2 blade dimension it seems. The viscaria one and the harimoto(bigger). It seems the hl5 dimension is simliar to harimoto?

Thanks

Hurricane Long 5 has the following wood composition.
Limba-Ayous-Arylate/Carbon-Ayous(Core)-Arylate/Carbon-Ayous-Limba

I think the Butterfly Harimoto Tomokazu Innerforce ALC would be simillar as it has the following composition
Limba-Limba-Arylate/Carbon-Ayous(Core)-Arylate/Carbon-Limba-Limba

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Harimoto is Limba-Ayous. The same.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
It sounds like you are limited to either the HPL or the HL 5.
If you are open to other lights and other brands, some additional details about what you want from the light (throw vs flood, cool vs warm, etc...) would help.
As much as I like Streamlights this sounds like a time when you might want to consider other brands.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
That I'm aware, there is no direct equivalent to the HL5 from Butterfly. Harimoto ALC is the one that comes closest but there are still some fundamental differences. I'm almost sure that the HL5 uses Ayous as a medial ply because that layer is thicker than the top ply. A limba layer that thick would make the blade heavier and harder. I'm not sure about the medial ply in the Harimoto, the thickness is equal to the top ply and Ayous and Limba can be very hard to tell apart by just looking at the end grain. One other difference is that the ALC layer in the Harimoto is ~0.25mm while the Aramid-Carbon layer in the HL5 is ~0.2mm.

Reactions: shinshiro
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It sounds like you are limited to either the HPL or the HL 5.
If you are open to other lights and other brands, some additional details about what you want from the light (throw vs flood, cool vs warm, etc...) would help.
As much as I like Streamlights this sounds like a time when you might want to consider other brands.

What kind of Streamlights do you like using and what do you use them for? Can you explain throw vs flood and cool vs warm?