Suggestion for new setup - returned to TT after a long gap

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2020
I have come back to TT after a long gap (about 13-15 years). Prior to that I was playing regularly for about 7-8 years in a club. I was playing competitively and had regular coaching and was doing quite well. My game is attacking (looping and smashes on FH, wrist flicks and smashes on BH with chops in between) from about a foot from the table. Also my strength is my service variations with a lot of spin. I used to play with a Jonyer back in the day with the old poly ball and 21 point games.

Now when I started again I went for a safe option - Butterfly Primorac with Rakza 7 on FH and 7 soft on BH. It’s a good spinny setup and I was fine with it till I started playing matches at the club that I have recently joined. All the players I played against (around same level as me) had faster setups (Viscaria and TBALC with Tenergies, etc). When I played against them I found the pace of my shots no match and as a result could not finish a lot of points which I would normally do against players with setups similar to mine. Every time I smashed the ball, if it was not placed where the opponent couldn’t get to it, it came back faster. Also had a tough time returning serves against some of the spinnier rubbers.

I am 42 and my footwork and reflexes are not what they used to be when I was playing regularly. So my question is - I am looking for a faster setup. Below are the few options that I have come up with after watching people and online research -
1. Joola Rossi Emotion with Rhyzm P on both sides
2. JRE with Nittaku Fastarc G1 on FH and S1 on BH (S1 being added advantage to minimize spin for receiving)
3. Any inner carbon blade (Inner Layer ALC) with Rozena (I think Tenergy would be too much for me) or the Nittaku rubbers mentioned above.

I did not like the feel of the Primorac at all and certainly do not want to use it as a primary blade. I will keep it as a backup to experiment with rubbers in the future.

I have fairly good technique, and okayish (but not great) footwork anymore. Also don’t expect footwork to majorly improve a lot now. So please suggest if my options above will work for me or is there something else out there that I should look at. I don’t have any budget constraints and will prefer a known brand (as against cheaper Chinese options).

I haven’t played in official leagues till now, but intend to do so soon. I have however player against a lot of players that I would play in the local league anyways. Due to the Covid 19 situation, I do not have the option to try out anyone’s setup at the club as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: sspark80
This user has no status.
I have come back to TT after a long gap (about 13-15 years). Prior to that I was playing regularly for about 7-8 years in a club. I was playing competitively and had regular coaching and was doing quite well. My game is attacking (looping and smashes on FH, wrist flicks and smashes on BH with chops in between) from about a foot from the table. Also my strength is my service variations with a lot of spin. I used to play with a Jonyer back in the day with the old poly ball and 21 point games.

Now when I started again I went for a safe option - Butterfly Primorac with Rakza 7 on FH and 7 soft on BH. It’s a good spinny setup and I was fine with it till I started playing matches at the club that I have recently joined. All the players I played against (around same level as me) had faster setups (Viscaria and TBALC with Tenergies, etc). When I played against them I found the pace of my shots no match and as a result could not finish a lot of points which I would normally do against players with setups similar to mine. Every time I smashed the ball, if it was not placed where the opponent couldn’t get to it, it came back faster. Also had a tough time returning serves against some of the spinnier rubbers.

I am 42 and my footwork and reflexes are not what they used to be when I was playing regularly. So my question is - I am looking for a faster setup. Below are the few options that I have come up with after watching people and online research -
2. JRE with Nittaku Fastarc G1 on FH and S1 on BH (S1 being added advantage to minimize spin for receiving)
3. Any inner carbon blade (Inner Layer ALC) with Rozena (I think Tenergy would be too much for me) or the Nittaku rubbers mentioned above.

I did not like the feel of the Primorac at all and certainly do not want to use it as a primary blade. I will keep it as a backup to experiment with rubbers in the future.

I have fairly good technique, and okayish (but not great) footwork anymore. Also don’t expect footwork to majorly improve a lot now. So please suggest if my options above will work for me or is there something else out there that I should look at. I don’t have any budget constraints and will prefer a known brand (as against cheaper Chinese options).

I haven’t played in official leagues till now, but intend to do so soon. I have however player against a lot of players that I would play in the local league anyways. Due to the Covid 19 situation, I do not have the option to try out anyone’s setup at the club as well.

My rubber suggestions from Andro : Hexer Grip 2.1 FH and Powergrip SFX 1.9 BH. Forgiving rubbers with easy spin generation for close and mid distance playing
Blade: 5 or 7 ply wood with limba outer plys Andro Timber 5 or 7 off

Last edited:
This user has no status.
XIOM is also a decent option, Vega X on both sides with something like a Xiom offensive S (Off-)or faster like Xiom Ignito (Off to Off+)

IMHO any blade "specialized" in close to the table play between Off- and Off+ is good for you but pair it with a little slower rubber, something like a Vega X, above mentioned Hexers, or any newer rubber in medium hardness for more control on serves and close play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
I think you are overthinking it. Power, speed, and spin come in major from the right technique, timing, and acceleration. I agree with this guy in terms of gear:

XIOM is also a decent option, Vega X on both sides with something like a Xiom offensive S (Off-).

Primorac you already have is plenty fast. If you want to upgrade I would vote for Offensive S, Korbel, or some form of a Clipper. There is a thread (search for forehand training or something like this on this forum). Carl explains there basics of maximizing power throughput by using body, forearm, and wrist. I've used couple of inner-carbon-fiber blades in the past, and common trait of those was that they required power in order to produce power. My friend bought Gewo Aruna HCO from one of this forum's members. Great blade, pretty much the same composition as Joola Rossi Emotion (Hinoki top might be slightly different). It's really tame though unless you strike real hard. I've played really briefly with it since he just bought it and wants to play the snout of it XD But I would argue it is no faster than one of those medium-fast clippers (I am playing with Dyjas Ultra Power which has the same compo as Clipper, but thinner).

Buying new table tennis equipment is the second most fun thing to do while playing TT (the first one is obviously actually playing), but I think it should not be the first thing to do when solving problems. I also think that harder rubbers require more strength and acceleration to use properly than softer ones and require more feel and touch on faster blades.

TL;DR. If you want to upgrade that's fine. It's fun. Consider a Clipper (or a clone from other manufacturers), Korbel, or Offensive S. I would pair that with 2* Rakza, Tenergy, Vega X, Gewo El Pro, or other 47.5-degree grippy rubber of choice. I would add a softer HIIT training at home to get you in a better physique form and some coaching. The second part is inspired by my latest experience with training. Working on correct form and physical strength gave me more than any equipment change I've done, and I am big EJ at heart, so those changes were plenty.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
You can't go wrong with Viscaria. If you have the cash go for D05 on FH and D64 on BH. D64 will help you with service return as it is not that sensitive to incoming spin.

If you are on a medium budget - Xiom Vega Pro on FH and Vega Euro on BH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2020
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I got to try out a couple of setups in a club and also had a few one on one coaching sessions with a coach to shake off my rust.

I tried the JRE with Rhyzm P, the Korbel with Rakza 7 and the Violin with G1. I loved the feel of the JRE with rhyzm P setup. I could land most of my top spins with good amount of spin and decent speed. Control was not an issue for me with any of the setups but the Joola felt a lot better to play with. It will take a lot of hard yards and practice sessions for the footwork to come back, but the strokes felt solid. Megaspin also has a sweet bundle deal on the JRE with Rhyzm P rubbers. So have decided to go ahead with that.

Would have loved to order the Viscaria/ Dignics combo, but it is a lot more than what I want to spend right now. Might look at it a couple of years down the line when I get my game back. And to avoid the EJ bug, seriously trying not to prowl around the equipment forums on TTD, etc.