Rushing backhand drill?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
A good idea might be something like this: start with 3fh - 1bh, then move to 3 or 2 fh - 1bh and finish on random number of fhs - 1bh. On all drills focus on getting your feet in a good position for the bh, keeping good shape and staying low.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
One progressive way to approach this would be to:

1) Initialy, just take a step to get to the impact zone and just hold the bat to ball
2) later, get there with a step, use a loose grip and a 15 cm stroke, very short
3) later, progressively use incrimentally longer stroke and grip pressure to get to whatever response of a stroke you had wanted to do vs whatever kind if ball it was

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If you were counterhitting, BH to BH, like what the pros do before a match to warm up, simple, straight forward, nothing fancy, how many balls would you be able to hit in a row before you messed up if the person on the other side of the table was able to put everything back pretty consistently the way a coach would? 500? 100? 50? 10? If the answer is that it would be rare for you to miss, then ignore what follows.

If your BH is not consistent enough to do that for what basically amounts to an unspecified but unlimited amount of time, then that might be a place to start.

It is really hard to tell without seeing footage. But it could be that, just simple drills where you hit bucket after bucket of BHs so that you just get the timing of the shot ingrained. After that, maybe some of the patterns or randomized drills would be more helpful. But if you have practiced the BH so much that you are confident with it, you may not rush the shot when it comes to your BH. And for that to happen you just have to have done 100s of 1000s of repetitions.

Practicing blocking with your BH while someone is looping with their FH to you may also be good to practice. When you are really solid blocking heavy loops with your BH then getting used to the touch and timing for counter looping those will become much easier to work on.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Try multiball. First the stroke then maybe add that you get balls at different speed so you can learn when to do it.

This user has no status.
Thanks for the suggestions! My backhand is alright, I've done a good amount of training on it. I could probably do about 5-20 BH to BH warmup at a good pace. It's more of a timing issue. Waiting for the ball to get to my zone rather than out stretching and going at it too early. I did try the random 1-3 forehand then 1-3 backhand on the robot and it's a really good drill. I found myself moving too early to the transition and getting punished for moving too early trying to anticipate the robot. As soon as I waited after completing the shot, the timing got better. There's more time than you think to get to the next ball. **I'll post some 1-3 random robot action after the weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks for the suggestions! My backhand is alright, I've done a good amount of training on it. I could probably do about 5-20 BH to BH warmup at a good pace. It's more of a timing issue. Waiting for the ball to get to my zone rather than out stretching and going at it too early. I did try the random 1-3 forehand then 1-3 backhand on the robot and it's a really good drill. I found myself moving too early to the transition and getting punished for moving too early trying to anticipate the robot. As soon as I waited after completing the shot, the timing got better. There's more time than you think to get to the next ball. **I'll post some 1-3 random robot action after the weekend.

Cool. Then it is just a matter of practice with random placement. And if some of the random placement can include slow, spinny loops to mix up the timing that would help.

By the way, I think it is okay to get to the next ball early.....as long as you are ready and.....wait....once you are there. :)

Reactions: CroneOne
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
It sounds like you've identified your problem, which is the most important part. So now, practice that :D This is probably more mental training than physical. A good drill would be counter-counter-counter then have your partner loop unexpectedly and you play the shot you are having an issue with, without rushing. Players oftentimes have more time than they think they do, so start by trying to correct it in your head.