Beginner paddle?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
I've been recreationally playing off and on. I just bought a Stiga Evoultion and really like it. I know it's not a custom blade and rubber combo and probably frowned upon here. How much of a difference is there from going off the shelf/rack to a custom blade/rubber paddle? When would be a good time to transition to this custom blade setup?

Reactions: nivekkan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
It depends... There are so many variables that come into play when switching from this kind of racket to a custom racket that it's more or less impossible to say when to do such a switch and how different the new racket will feel. Some video footage would help...
My advice would be: Play/practice with this racket as long as the rubbers have enough grip and than switch to a custom racket.
What would I recommend? Hurricane 3 (Neo) Commercial (the cheapest) on forehand and e.g. Xiom Vega Pro on backhand. Not a very popular recommendation but a very rewarding one if one is somewhat frustration tolerant. Why? H3 and VP forces one to get into the right position and execute a proper stroke otherwise the ball will go out or into the net. Less demanding rubbers: FH Vega Pro and BH Vega Europe. Blade: Any decent Allround/All+/Off- blade will do: E.g. Stiga Allround Classic or Offensive Classic, Yasaka Sweden Classic/Sweden Extra, Donic Appelgren Allplay/Waldner Allplay, Tibhar Lebesson/Samsonov Alpha.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Even an ALL+ blade, like the Stiga Evolution with any knid of anywhere near modern rubbers is gunna feel like a 100x solid rocket boost from your $3 Wallmart bat or even the $100 pre-made bats that are pimped online and in-person.

https://www.amazon.com/STIGA-Evolut...ocphy=9004351&hvtargid=pla-273168932529&psc=1

Der, you are mistaking what he said he has. You are thinking of the STIGA ALLROUND EVOLUTION blade.....He is talking about the Stiga EVOLUTION prebuilt, fully assembled blade and rubbers sold to recreational players.

The Stiga Evolution Prebuilt racket is a 3 steps up from the $3.00 Racket from Walmart and 6 steps down from a decent custom racket.

TTArc's info is good. You could go with what he says. So, what I present below is not, in my opinion in contradiction to that. It is just more info.

It should be fine for you for a while. It is not so bad. But.....You could get something inexpensive that is much better for your needs if you bought less expensive Chinese made equipment.

Go here: colestt.com

Look around. All of what Cole sells is better than the price reflects.

Here are things that would be a good start:

Blades:

[Yinhe] Galaxy 896: $16.00 -- this blade is considerably better than the price tag. The blades ttarc listed are a little better quality. But they are also more expensive. And I would be fine if this was the blade I used. I would send the edges of the blade if you got it so that they don't dig into your hand. But I do that with all blades and I like this blade.

Air Limba $22.00 -- also good.

Air Touch $16.00 -- a little slower than the two options above and also a good choice. Slower would mean more control. But all three of these should be an okay speed for you.

Rubbers:

Any of the rubbers Cole has should be fine. Maybe some other folks on the forum would like to give their own input.

If you got one of these less expensive rackets from Cole's or from any number of other places on line like:

http://ttnpp.com/store/

You might look at Cole's first. The advantage there is, he only sells stuff he has tested and thinks is worth the value.

With a $16 blade and $10-$20 rubbers, you can make yourself a setup that costs about $40 USD for something that will perform better than what you have.

But, as TTArc said, if the rubbers still have grip, you are still fine with what you have. But any of the stuff from Cole's will be a nice upgrade from what you have even if it is just that you would like a new weapon that is nice and will make you happy. :)

Reactions: nivekkan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
My recommendation: stiga allround or offensive for around 35eur and palio rubbers for 10eur x2 =~55eur and it will be future proof for some time (or ever :) ). And yes, the difference will be big. Not in speed I suppose (never tried pre-built Stiga Evolution, but tried smth else from pre-built a couple of times from one time players at my club), but in feel and general quality.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
I started off using a premade one like yours, but from Joola. I made the switch a couple months later, and it did feel like a rocket. The problem with a lot of the premades, IMO, is that the rubber has so little grip and sponge so thin you don’t really get to learn spin. They’re almost like anti sometimes. Spin is the one thing it really does take experience to learn to deal with and create, so switch now and start really learning about spin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl