How do you celebrate a point??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Hi guys!! i was wondering.. how do you like to celebrate a point? scream, jump, or simply raise your fist and dont say enything?? ;)

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hi guys!! i was wondering.. how do you like to celebrate a point? scream, jump, or simply raise your fist and dont say enything?? ;)

I just give it a big choo haha!!! once i did the loudest choo and then slipped on a barrier... was embarrassing!!!

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Dan, about that "Chooo", many players do yell it out at point break, its really common. But I do not know what the heck it means

do you know the reason.. source or history.. of it ?

Yeah it means 'come on' in china :DD I cannot say that is 100% true source but someone told me this... Ping Pong Cho is chinese for table tennis ive been told

This user has no status.
T

This user has no status.
As many persons, scream CHOOO

says Wangliqin Stop Spamming [IMG]
Oct 2010
Yeah it means 'come on' in china :DD I cannot say that is 100% true source but someone told me this... Ping Pong Cho is chinese for table tennis ive been told

http://www.tabletennisdb.com/dictionary/cho/
"Cho!" is a common Chinese phrase that some players yell out after winning an intense point. Etiquette Tip: Cho's should be used sparingly. Constantly cho'ing, cho'ing at the top of your lungs, and cho'ing after winning a point by an edge ball, net ball, or opponent's unforced error is widely considered rude or inappropriate.
above is the only ref I can find, needless I should say that article did not explain anything.
If the thing is indeed chinese oriented, I find many Chinese word with pronunciation close to cho.

球, 去, 糗, 抽, 衝(?), 仇, 臭 (swear?)
None come close to meaning of "Come on", in fact, I could not think of any translation close to CHOO.

Someone must know it, please come forth

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
ahhh good CHHHOOOSAAA is always a hit :)

or spice it up a little with 'SAKKAMOTOO' :) ha

although other players are known to celebrate in various otherways such as executing the ' frozen seagul' perfectly! :)

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
http://www.tabletennisdb.com/dictionary/cho/

above is the only ref I can find, needless I should say that article did not explain anything.
If the thing is indeed chinese oriented, I find many Chinese word with pronunciation close to cho.

球, 去, 糗, 抽, 衝(?), 仇, 臭 (swear?)
None come close to meaning of "Come on", in fact, I could not think of any translation close to CHOO.

Someone must know it, please come forth

HAha im not to sure then,,, @ tabletennismadness hahah yes the frozen seagul is always a great celebration to add in the mix :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I don't like emotional highs and lows during a match I just keep focus on the next point to be played.

Oct 2010
Agree with you Ferdy. Constantly "Cho-ing" after a point is really pointless. I may be a low rated nobody but I know what sportsmanship is, and these nasty little side gestures are not my thing. After defeating opponent, shake hand, then do whatever you want afterwards. Scream on top of your lungs, Jumping up and down or ROFL, whatever creativity brings you, do it after the fat lady sings.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
An occasional "Cho!" after an exciting point or a clean shot is my choice of action. I don't think it is bad sportsmanship if you keep it to a reasonable amount. Fist pumps in tennis are not thought of as bad sportsmanship, what's wrong with celebrating? However, there are people who stare the opponent down and Cho at them... like... barking... that is bad sportsmanship IMO.

says Photino rocks xD
says Photino rocks xD
Nov 2010
Haha i can speak chinese and Cho doesnt mean ball, however it is pronounced similar to it. Table tennis is called Bing, bung, cheo (phonetically spelling) and cheo sounds like cho, but i think it has slowly become a more solid cho sound as western cultures use their take/version of it.
Just a means of encouragement and moral bossting i guess.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
When I'm wining a point, I'm like In your face biatch! :D Nah, I keep my focus and keep fighting for every ball. Maybe I say something when I've won an hard point like "sha" and sometimes "Oza" ofcourse! :p(Sorry for spelling :p)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
@ Peter, I don't think they are celebrating their opponent's error, they are just so zoned into the game, and want to win so much, that they yell in relief for winning that point, its not meant to demean their opponent in anyway.

And yeah, Chooo, doesn't mean come on. Ping Pong Qui, which is the mandarin phonetic spelling of ping pong ball sounds like the way westerns would pronounce ch-ou, which while similar to chooo, they are not the same. Choo is just a yell, kind of like when Japanese when the point they yell out yoooo, which I assume relates to Yoshi, which is what means Yes! or Good in Japanese.

As for me, when I win a point I never really say anything, I will maybe do a little fist pump, like players do when they win a normal unexciting point. haha
But other than that, I usually never allow myself to get excited enough to do anything more high energy than that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
One story I 've heard of is this. The word "Cho" or "Chou" in Chinese means "stinky, gross". The "Cho" were originally only used in Chinese table tennis academies to prepare kids mentally ready for being professionals. The kids in Chinese table tennis academies are asked to shout "cho" for every point they win during sparring, practice matches within the team. In context, "cho" simply means "YOU SUCK!" And the players have to deal with agitation, frustration and whatever comes with the disgracing "YOU SUCK" and focus on the play fully attentive. As far as how it spread globally and becomes a word of cheering, I am not very sure.

This user has no status.
C

This user has no status.
i dont like to celerate on court never realy felt need to but i like to boast when talking to people outside watching

Oct 2010
One story I 've heard of is this. The word "Cho" or "Chou" in Chinese means "stinky, gross". The "Cho" were originally only used in Chinese table tennis academies to prepare kids mentally ready for being professionals. The kids in Chinese table tennis academies are asked to shout "cho" for every point they win during sparring, practice matches within the team. In context, "cho" simply means "YOU SUCK!" And the players have to deal with agitation, frustration and whatever comes with the disgracing "YOU SUCK" and focus on the play fully attentive. As far as how it spread globally and becomes a word of cheering, I am not very sure.

That reflect my initial guess as well, its either swearing, or cheering
"衝" as in "往前衝" ( [chun] trans: rushing forward)
"臭" as in "臭你全家三代" ( [chou] trans: Stink, stink your family all 3 generations)

further research indicating a trend which changes along with time
earlier on it was phonic " 好" ([hao] trans: good)
then "操or草" ( [chao] trans: fuck) as in "操你媽的B"
then "走" as 這一步棋走的好!([zho] trans: Walk, as this Chess move is walked/done excellently )

主要是为自己赢球呐助威,让自己兴奋起来或发泄情绪, 震慑对手
trans: Purpose to boost morale, excite oneself, apply pressure disrupt opponent

So, its a tradition started years ago; not a grand tradition as its origin is a swearing term, but people follows anyhow.