Help choosing rubbers for Stiga Nostalgic All round

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
Hi All,
I've been playing with a fairly basic setup for over a year: Andro Inizio Allround with Tibhar Volcano + 1.8 in both FH and BH. I have definitely outgrown this set up and recently treated myself to a Stiga Nostalgic allround. Any advice on rubbers that might still give control but are a tad faster, help control opponent's heavy spin and provides me with good spin.?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
Great suggestion, thanks! do you have any idea of how the Mantra M might compare with Yasaka 7 soft?

says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi All,
I've been playing with a fairly basic setup for over a year: Andro Inizio Allround with Tibhar Volcano + 1.8 in both FH and BH. I have definitely outgrown this set up and recently treated myself to a Stiga Nostalgic allround. Any advice on rubbers that might still give control but are a tad faster, help control opponent's heavy spin and provides me with good spin.?

Tibhar Aurus soft, or sound could be a good option as well. My kids have Aurus Sound on their set ups, still has some speed, and good spin, lightweight and good control. When playing with them there’s definitely enough spin being produced, even by a beginner, when I tried it out I thought the spin produced was reasonably high, speed ok and control good. Definitely a good choice for improving players.
seems to be very durable as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
Thanks so much for the advice, can you tell me what blades this rubbers are paired with?
Cheers

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Thanks so much for the advice, can you tell me what blades this rubbers are paired with?
Cheers

The blade my kids have is a Tibhar IVL balsa, which is a very light all round blade, only 70 grams weight, so the whole set up is light, the softer sponges/ top sheet combos are usually less dense and therefore lighter rubbers.
my kids are 10 and 12 so a light set up, I feel may be better for younger players initially, some more experienced players also prefer light set ups, as they feel it’s easier to recover, that sort of thing

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Cheers

Often people who read too much on the internet get this idea that certain rubbers only pair well with certain blades. This is not true. Any rubber does what it does. Any blade does what it does. Any offensive rubber will work on any All, All+, Off-, Off or Off+ blade. Most offensive rubbers work fine on defensive blades too. :)

Where people get the idea that certain rubbers work better with certain blades from people trying things they are not used to and expecting them to FEEL different. Like, say you had someone who was playing with T05 on a Korbel blade and then they tried T05 on a Viscaria and did not like the fact that the Viscaria was so much harder than the Korbel. Well they might actually not realize that and think what they did not like was the T05 on the Viscaria and they may walk away thinking, "T05 does not pair well with Viscaria."

The rubber still does what it does. The blade still does what it does. But when you are used to one combination and you try a different combination, you won't always like the feel at first. If you played with the setup long enough you would get used to how the new setup felt. The new setup may or may not be good for you. But you would still get used to how it felt after a time of using it.

And if you used T05 on a Viscaria for long enough and then tried T05 on a Korbel, you may have the same experience in reverse. You may think, T05 works really well on Viscaria but it does not work on Korbel.

I used to work in a hot yoga studio. People would walk in the lobby and say: "wow, it is hot in here." They would get dressed, go into the yoga classroom and then they would say: "wow, it is hot in here." After doing a 90 min practice in a room heated to 110-degrees F (43.33-degrees C) they would walk out of the classroom into the lobby and say: "Wow, it is cold in here." The temperature of the lobby was the same. Now, was it hot or cold in the lobby? The reason for the drastically different experiences to the same actual temperature room is what they had gotten themselves used to. People saying one rubber does not work with some particular blade is really much more like the lobby in the yoga center than people often realize. :)

This user has no status.
Nostalgic Allround tends to be a bit heavy, because of the hard Wenge outer plies. So, choose a rubber that is medium to light in weight.

I use Fastarc C-1 on both sides. Good grip, decent spin, speed and control.

nostalgic-with-C1.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Great suggestion, thanks! do you have any idea of how the Mantra M might compare with Yasaka 7 soft?

Mantra M has a stiffer top sheet when compare to Rakza 7 Soft. Spin wise is about the same, on control, Rakza 7 Soft offers better control due to the softer top sheet thus allowing a longer dwell time.

If you are still looking for soft rubbers to match, Xiom Vega Euro is also another good alternative. There are plenty good reviews for Rakza 7 Soft, Tibhar Aurus & Xiom Vega Europe.

Donic also has some good selection ie Donic Bluefire Series but they will be much more faster and heavier vs the rest.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
Thank you All for the insight and advice, I am veering towards the Rakza 7 soft, very good reviews, but have read it can be hard to deal with incoming heavy spin, any experience with this? And yes as UpSideDownCarl said it is of course all relative, so I will try to test a few before I buy if I can, I am based in Berlin, quite a few decent TT shops here.
Thanks again

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
Nostalgic Allround tends to be a bit heavy, because of the hard Wenge outer plies. So, choose a rubber that is medium to light in weight.

I use Fastarc C-1 on both sides. Good grip, decent spin, speed and control.

View attachment 21848

That looks like a great set up, something I'd like to try, would you consider that rubber more on the fast side?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thank you All for the insight and advice, I am veering towards the Rakza 7 soft, very good reviews, but have read it can be hard to deal with incoming heavy spin, any experience with this? And yes as UpSideDownCarl said it is of course all relative, so I will try to test a few before I buy if I can, I am based in Berlin, quite a few decent TT shops here.
Thanks again

That is a good idea. If you can try something before you buy it, that is always preferable.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Where people get the idea that certain rubbers work better with certain blades from people trying things they are not used to and expecting them to FEEL different. Like, say you had someone who was playing with T05 on a Korbel blade and then they tried T05 on a Viscaria and did not like the fact that the Viscaria was so much harder than the Korbel. Well they might actually not realize that and think what they did not like was the T05 on the Viscaria and they may walk away thinking, "T05 does not pair well with Viscaria."

The rubber still does what it does. The blade still does what it does. But when you are used to one combination and you try a different combination, you won't always like the feel at first. If you played with the setup long enough you would get used to how the new setup felt. The new setup may or may not be good for you. But you would still get used to how it felt after a time of using it.

And if you used T05 on a Viscaria for long enough and then tried T05 on a Korbel, you may have the same experience in reverse. You may think, T05 works really well on Viscaria but it does not work on Korbel.

That's also why you shouldn't change gear every 2 weeks.

Gewo Nexxus EL 43 is also good.

I think Gewo is underappreciated in general. I had hit with few of their setups and all of them were high quality.

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
Thanks again

Most tensor or Japanese rubbers are quite spin insensitive unlike Chinese Rubbers where the sticky topsheet makes it sensitive to spin.

That's also why you shouldn't change gear every 2 weeks.

I think Gewo is underappreciated in general. I had hit with few of their setups and all of them were high quality.
Yes, Gewo needs more exposure to players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
Really thankfull for all your advice, I managed to try a few of the rubbers at Contra in Berlin, great people there, and ended up picking up the Tibhar Aurus 2.0 on the FH and 1.9 on the BH, I wanted to try the Rakza 7 soft, but they didn't have a test rubber, also tried the Xiom Vega Europe but that was a tad too springy. took a few moments to understand the behaviour and pace of the set up, you definitely need to topspin from below, but there's a lot more power than what I had before, definitely suits my playing style, which is veering towards a more attacking profile. I will stick with this for a while and see how things develop.
really appreciate all the ideas and comments, this is a great community.
Thaaaaaanks

Reactions: lasta