Equipment setup and playstyle for a young chilld - 11 years old

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Hello everyone

My younger brother has been playing for about 1 year now, religiously. He's seriously young and lacks some basic fundamentals in some aspects. He has received no formal coaching that kids his age usually get when they are serious about the sport.

Current FH:cheap hard and tacky 729 rubber on his FH.

Current BH: Razaka soft 7

Blade: stiga all round classic (5 ply all wood)

The kicker, his become enamoured in a defensive, chopping and pushing game - watching it on youtube a lot and emulating it to his best ability. As a division 1 ish player myself, i am INCREDIBLY impressed with his pushes and chops, seriously, the little guy reminds me of a mini JSK. However, obviously, hes been chopping with an inverted rubber so the effect isnt as apparant as it would be with LP.

I see potential in this guy but theres a problem, just basic offensive BH and FH drives are extremely inconsistent and lack proper technique.

In my head, it makes extreme sense to get him a set up with long pimples as it suits what he wants (away from the table defensive style).

I was thinking about getting him the following set up, donic defplay senso, FH i am not sure about, potentially something similar to what he has - im not well versed in good pushing and chopping forehand rubbers bar butterfly's tackiness drive series. BH - tsp curl, feint long 1,2, or 3, or cheap chinese LP like Cloud and Fog 3 since it does the trick at an insane price. For the blade i'm unsure because he is young, he is quite hap hazard with his equipment, ie chipping the blade on the table going for out of reach shots (I'm sure you understand the energy of a kid) + general wear and tear from playing 10hrs+ a week. Ideas in my head include Yasaka sweden classic/extra (i personally prefer 7 ply blades for chopping so i am troubled).

Another option is going full budget and piecing together something for 40 euros with chinese options off aliexpress to let him experiment with LP.

Also, am i completely out of my league here advising him on equipment and playstyle while he is still completely buddiing - i would love a coach to get together with him and me to properly decide on the best direction to take him