Composition of My Blade?

Hi everyone I got a handmade blade which is delivered to me as a promotion , it is said to be 5+2 Carbon Blade with Limba and Ayous structures. The thing is I couldnt understand which Carbon is used on this blade and I would like to know is the 2nd ply is also Ayous .

Attachments

• 20200821_121309.jpg
    20200821_121309.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 211
  • 20200821_121356.jpg
    20200821_121356.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 196

Difficult to tell what “type” of carbon is used, but that definitely does look like carbon to me. Same goes for the “ayous” later. I could be completely wrong though. My suggestion is to track down the blade maker if possible and consult with them. Most of all , If the blade suits you, have fun with it.m while you can. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TTOmar
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Press your finger nail on the core to see how soft it is. Compare it with some blades you’ve known. Ayous is softer than Kiri.
Run through the carbon layer to see if it’s got some fiber-like part (softer, elasticky) again with your finger nail. If it’s hard and scrisp all the way it’s likely pure carbon. Otherwise it’s probably mixed with Aramid (guessing from the colour and thickness).

To be honest since the carbon layer is so thick. Have a knock and it’ll be probably quite obvious if it’s mixed.

Reactions: TTOmar
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Press your finger nail on the core to see how soft it is. Compare it with some blades you’ve known. Ayous is softer than Kiri.
Run through the carbon layer to see if it’s got some fiber-like part (softer, elasticky) again with your finger nail. If it’s hard and scrisp all the way it’s likely pure carbon. Otherwise it’s probably mixed with Aramid (guessing from the colour and thickness).

To be honest since the carbon layer is so thick. Have a knock and it’ll be probably quite obvious if it’s mixed.

Ayous is harder than Kiri.

Pretty sure the core is ayous. Carbon looks to be the interwoven type. Intermediate layer looks ayous too, but can't be sure.

Reactions: bobpuls
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If the blade was hand made, wouldn't you be better off asking the blade maker what you have? From a photo on the internet, there is no-one who can give you reliable info on all the plies and the type of carbon. But the person who made the blade just might know what he made. :)