Glasses and Table Tennis

This user has no status.
Good day everyone

Today, i was given corrective glasses for an eye problem. I tried playing today wearing it and ended up badly.

Problems i faced today(There could be more as time passes)

1.Sweat beads that drop from the Forehead to the glasses
2. Body heat that fogs up my glasses
3. High toss serve, when the ball leaves the sight of my glasses(Particularly in the frame part) i lose track of the ball.

How were you able to circumvent around these problems?
Are there anymore problems i should be aware off?
Although at the time being, i can play without glasses but my doctor advices me to use it 24/7 except sleeping or bathing. should i continue to practice without the glasses and only wear it afterwards?

I really appreciate your comments and suggestions. thank you

says Footwork footwork footwork
I usually used a headband to prevent beads of sweat hitting my glasses. Other than that, make sure they’re tight enough to not move around on your head, and maybe you want to think about frameless or very thin frames for playing.

I played for quite a while with thicker frames and just got used to it. Sometimes if the ball came too far into my peripherals it became a problem as you’re discussing it with your high toss serve.

In the end- I took them off and no longer play with them (for the time being). I’m able to make out where it’s going and rely on my instinct about the spin from my opponents motion.

I’d maybe ask your doctor about playing for x-hours without them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: amekun
This user has no status.
You need to get used to your glasses at first..When the ball goes out of sight, you have to move your head so that you see the ball through the glasses.. it will need a lot of practice to get used to it. In my case i use a very light weight frame which does not move from my face.
For the sweat beads, i use a head band and also i wipe my face every count of 6 points

Sent from my SM-A700H using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
Did you tell your eye doctor/optometrist that you play table tennis? There are certain frames that will be much better for playing sport then others. there are also certain adjustments that could be made to the way the spectacles fit on your face.So I would suggest you return and explain the problems you are having and can the fit of the spectacles be adjusted. There is also the variation in the lens types? Are the lenses multifocals or single vision?There are also numerous variations in terms of the lens types that can be prescribed.And of course there is also the option of contact lenses. Suggestions such as head bands are also useful.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Been wearing glasses for most of my life. Used to use contacts when I was younger but I'm too lazy nowadays.

1) This won't go away
2) This is never a problem for me but I know that a lot of opticians can spray some king of "anti fog" solution on to your glasses that lasts up to a month. Glasses that don't sit too tight will help against this.
3) You will most likely get used to this.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I wear glasses, and unfortunately, I notice it all the time when playing (especially when squatting low and you lift your eyes to the part not covered.

1. Contacts are preferable.
2. If not, get larger glasses, and attach an elastic band on the back.
3. Headband

Sweat is a problem, but never had issues with fogging, I think that stops after a while.

This user has no status.
I usually used a headband to prevent beads of sweat hitting my glasses. Other than that, make sure they’re tight enough to not move around on your head, and maybe you want to think about frameless or very thin frames for playing.
I played for quite a while with thicker frames and just got used to it. Sometimes if the ball came too far into my peripherals it became a problem as you’re discussing it with your high toss serve.

In the end- I took them off and no longer play with them (for the time being). I’m able to make out where it’s going and rely on my instinct about the spin from my opponents motion.

I’d maybe ask your doctor about playing for x-hours without them.

The headband, i got it :) ill start wearing them. The glasses fit very well during the games. Same problem with the peripherals as well.

The first thing i asked my doc is about my table tennis games lol. unfortunately he gave me a thumbs down on removing them during games. :(

Thanks for the input :) ;)

This user has no status.
You need to get used to your glasses at first..When the ball goes out of sight, you have to move your head so that you see the ball through the glasses.. it will need a lot of practice to get used to it. In my case i use a very light weight frame which does not move from my face.
For the sweat beads, i use a head band and also i wipe my face every count of 6 points

Sent from my SM-A700H using Tapatalk

I reflected on what you said and i guess it can also be a positive for training. i usually dont look at the ball too often and rely on my peripherals and instinct. This will train me to not lose track of the ball.

thanks for the input mate. ill put in more hours into practice

Reactions: d3ss3n
This user has no status.
Been wearing glasses for most of my life. Used to use contacts when I was younger but I'm too lazy nowadays.

1) This won't go away
2) This is never a problem for me but I know that a lot of opticians can spray some king of "anti fog" solution on to your glasses that lasts up to a month. Glasses that don't sit too tight will help against this.
3) You will most likely get used to this.

ill go visit the shops for the anti fog spray. while im at it, buy some cleaners as well for easier smudge removal.

thanks for the tips :)

This user has no status.
I wear glasses, and unfortunately, I notice it all the time when playing (especially when squatting low and you lift your eyes to the part not covered.

1. Contacts are preferable.
2. If not, get larger glasses, and attach an elastic band on the back.
3. Headband

Sweat is a problem, but never had issues with fogging, I think that stops after a while.

Thanks for the tip.
will get an elastic band for glasses.

:)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Make sure you get the largest frames that will fit on your face. Those small fashion frames will have a narrower field of view and will not be suitable for sports. I would get titanium frames which are durable, light and very thin. Try to get raw titanium or lighter colored frames because over time the plastic coating on those titanium frames will flake off. THere are also different grades of plastic lenses and various coating which adds cost like car options. I would go with the high refractive index multi coated lenses so the lenses are thin and light and have nicer optical properties.

JMC

This user has no status.
As people have been saying sweat is always a problem, but you do get used to wearing glasses while playing over time. When I started I felt like balls were “jumping” at me when they would fly into my peripheral vision and I couldn’t high toss serve anymore for the same reason. Now I don’t really notice that I’m wearing glasses except when sweat drips on them. I do think that I’ve adjusted the way my head follows the ball on high toss serves, but it happened gradually so I can’t isolate what exactly changed, just that it’s different. Stick with it, you’ll adjust!

This user has no status.
Make sure you get the largest frames that will fit on your face. Those small fashion frames will have a narrower field of view and will not be suitable for sports. I would get titanium frames which are durable, light and very thin. Try to get raw titanium or lighter colored frames because over time the plastic coating on those titanium frames will flake off. THere are also different grades of plastic lenses and various coating which adds cost like car options. I would go with the high refractive index multi coated lenses so the lenses are thin and light and have nicer optical properties.

it is unfortunate but my doctor gave me those tiny fashion like glasses that was mentioned. :( ill try to make do with what i have